The Freakshow at 2k - Final Form?

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

The Freakshow at 2k - Final Form?

Postby MrScotty » Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am

With the recent previews from GW and the leaking of a few stratagem and the points pages, we now have a solid idea of the basic setup of how Harlequins are going to look post-codex. So it is that I am taking a look at my Freakshow army setup to see what I can fit into a 2k list, and...boy oh boy is it not a whole lot of stuff. Some points reduction from the Harlequin codex helped a lot, but unfortunately the major culprit - transports to keep my dark eldar and harlequins from getting shot up along the way to the battlefield - is still at large and costing me about 500 of my 2000pts.

The list is this: 3 detachments, 2000 points with Harlequin codex points drops, 8cp.

Harlequin Battalion, Masque of the Silent Shroud

Troupe Master, Power Sword and Fusion Pistol (warlord traits unknown as yet, hopefully there's a LD-based one of some sort)
Shadowseer, miststave and shuriken pistol

Harlequin Troupe x5, 2 fusion pistols, 5 kisses
Harlequin Troupe x5, 2 fusion pistols, 2 embraces, 1 Caress
Harlequin Troupe x5, 5 Caresses

Starweaver
Starweaver
Starweaver

2x Skyweaver jetbikes, Haywire Cannons and Zephyrglaives

Solitaire, Relic: The Mask of Secrets (from CA, so it's the only relic we know)
Death Jester
Death Jester

Eldar Patrol, Craftworld Alaitoc

Farseer Skyrunner, Doom and Mind War

5x Eldar Rangers

Hemlock Wraithfighter, Terrify

Dark Eldar Patrol, Coven of the Dark Creed

Haemonculus, Electrocorrosive Whip

Wracks, Hexrifle Ossefactor and Electrocorrosive Whip

3x Grotesques

Raider, Dark Lance, Phantasm Launcher, Grisly Trophies
Venom, Twin Splinter Cannon, Grisly Trophies

Talos Pain Engine, 2x Macro-Scalpels, 2x Splinter Cannon

So, the full list of leadership shenanigans is:

-1 for every Dark Creed unit within 6", up to -3 max stacked on a unit
-1 for the a unit that suffers at least one hit from the Phantasm Grenade Launcher
-1 if at least one Silent Shroud unit is within 6", and units must roll 2 dice and take the highest for morale tests
-2 if within 12" of the hemlock wraithfighter
-1 if the Terrify psychic power is used
-1 to units within 6" of the Solitaire
(assumed, GW has confirmed the Jester now reduces leadership, I'm assuming the worst-case scenario) -1 to units with a model killed by the Death Jester, additionally I select the first casualty removed due to leadership for these units, does not stack.
Roll a D6 for every model removed due to morale within 6" of either of the two dark creed transports, on a 6, remove an additional model
1CP if I kill the enemy warlord in the Fight Phase, army wide -1 LD (Drukhari Stratagem)
1CP to kill one additional model whenever a unit loses morale casualties within 3" of any Coven unit (Drukhari Stratagem)
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Re: The Freakshow at 2k - Final Form?

Postby The cosmic serpent » Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 am

MrScotty wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am
With the recent previews from GW and the leaking of a few stratagem and the points pages, we now have a solid idea of the basic setup of how Harlequins are going to look post-codex. So it is that I am taking a look at my Freakshow army setup to see what I can fit into a 2k list, and...boy oh boy is it not a whole lot of stuff. Some points reduction from the Harlequin codex helped a lot, but unfortunately the major culprit - transports to keep my dark eldar and harlequins from getting shot up along the way to the battlefield - is still at large and costing me about 500 of my 2000pts.

Freakshow is a fun concept. I imagine you are planning to run this for the lolz and challenge of lining up all the debuffs properly? I don't expect it will perform well against armies with lots of single models (no morale checks to be had) and it is limited against horde armies (particularly ones that ignore morale) as your maximum damage output is going to be 6 (max LD roll) +1 (dark creed transports 1 out of 6 chance to do additional wound) +1 for 1CP = 8 wounds total, I think mind war will be doing similar damage as the morale test. It's going to take some real skill with positioning (and some luck with psychic powers) to get this to maximum damage.

I think your best match up to try this out is going to be against something that has elite stats, relatively low model count, and does not have many ways to ignore morale. So try it out on Craftworld Eldar! :lol: or Tau ;)
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 am

The cosmic serpent wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 am
Freakshow is a fun concept. I imagine you are planning to run this for the lolz and challenge of lining up all the debuffs properly? I don't expect it will perform well against armies with lots of single models (no morale checks to be had) and it is limited against horde armies (particularly ones that ignore morale) as your maximum damage output is going to be 6 (max LD roll) +1 (dark creed transports 1 out of 6 chance to do additional wound) +1 for 1CP = 8 wounds total, I think mind war will be doing similar damage as the morale test. It's going to take some real skill with positioning (and some luck with psychic powers) to get this to maximum damage.

I think your best match up to try this out is going to be against something that has elite stats, relatively low model count, and does not have many ways to ignore morale. So try it out on Craftworld Eldar! :lol: or Tau ;)
Actually i think larger hordes are going to have a tough time as well. If you reduce someone to LD 0 then every kill is a guaranteed dude running away barring stratagems. Assuming a LD of 0 and a slightly higher then average morale roll of 4 due to roll 2 take the highest you are looking at a damage output of 5 + # of models killed. So for total damage output you are looking at Dead in 1 turn = 2*Kills + 5.

5 man squad = 1 kill to wipe the unit
10 man squad = 3 kills to wipe the unit
20 man squad = 8 kills to wipe the unit
30 man squad = 13 kills to wipe the unit

Don't forget Scottys army is melee so he can apply that bonus damage in both his turn and his opponents turn.

Comically Tau may be one army he doesn't want to face. With bonding knives giving us auto passes on 6's and roll 2 dice take the highest we may just ignore his morale shenanigans.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Postby The cosmic serpent » Tue May 15, 2018 11:07 am

Draaen wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 am

Comically Tau may be one army he doesn't want to face. With bonding knives giving us auto passes on 6's and roll 2 dice take the highest we may just ignore his morale shenanigans.
I forgot about bonding knives. :D

Damaging in both player turns will help for sure. I still think for the best results playing against lower model count armies will give him a better advantage. Mostly because the 20+blob/unit type armies have some way to ignore or offset morale.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Tue May 15, 2018 11:48 am

Well, tyranids do (with the notable exception of Genestealers) but guard don't as much, Tau have bonding knife which is unfortunate, Damons don't besides the banners which only go off on snakeeyes vs Silent Shroud, chaos cultists don't, tzaangors don't, GSC have the Patriarch and that's all.

The nice thing about silent shroud is you don't give up a ton for their really powerful ld debuff. Their Stratagem is amazing (6 SS skyweavers is going to be a more defensive version of the popular 9 Saim Hann shining Spears unit), the alternative troupe traits aren't amazing and though we don't know WL traits their relic is going to be the CA relic anyway.

A more competitive, less "how much can I stack up" version of the list ditches dark Creed for black heart kabal in a battalion, gaining more anti tank and doubling my CP pool while giving me access to Stratagem denial.

If you asked me to make a tournament competitive Eldar soup army with heavy Harlequins that didn't go for ld tactics....boy it would not be very different.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/c ... raits_and/
With the soaring spite WL trait and relic, plus all the move twice shenanigans what is the maximum distance a Harlequin could cover in 1 turn?
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Acton-Man wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/c ... raits_and/
With the soaring spite WL trait and relic, plus all the move twice shenanigans what is the maximum distance a Harlequin could cover in 1 turn?
Absolute maximum:

Assuming that the relic and warlord trait are available to the Harlequin Solitaire, the absolute maximum movement is:

Vehicle moves 16"+6" with the relic+D6" advance.
Warlord disembarks 4"
Warlord moves 12"+D6" advance
Warlord gets Twilight Pathways casted on him, moves 12"+D6" advance
Warlord charges 2D6".
Warlord piles in 3", fights.
Warlord uses Soaring Spite consolidation strategy, moves 6" to be within 3" of a transport
Embarks into the transport which is technically 3" away.

So, 50" of movement+5D6" for an average charge threat range of 67.5" ignoring all intervening models and terrain. Theoretical maximum movement in inches is 92" in a single turn.
Game Preferences:
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Couple of corrections to Scott's stuff above from my friend Eddie who plays Harlequins -

1. Solitaire wasn't able to be warlord in 7th edition, we don't know if he will be in 8th;
2. Starweaver always moves 6" for advance not D6;
3. You're missing the Blitz move on the Solitaire which adds extra distance.

Still hilarious in terms of distance
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Sandtiger wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 pm
Couple of corrections to Scott's stuff above from my friend Eddie who plays Harlequins -

1. Solitaire wasn't able to be warlord in 7th edition, we don't know if he will be in 8th;
2. Starweaver always moves 6" for advance not D6;
3. You're missing the Blitz move on the Solitaire which adds extra distance.

Still hilarious in terms of distance
Blitz is +2d6 but specifically prevents you from using twilight pathways, which is like Warptime so it adds 12"+d6".
Game Preferences: