What's the deal with blood ravens psykers?

The place to go for army lore or Grimdark Gaming narrative
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

What's the deal with blood ravens psykers?

Postby Anacrucis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 pm

I keep hearing how the Blood Ravens are psyker heavy and even rumored to be lost scions of the XV legion's gene seed ... but I have only ever played DOW 1 and that was so long ago I barely remember the story ... but I don't recall the librarius being a tremendously huge deal in that game. I just remember a lot of dudes shouting "SPACE MARINES!" And similar slogans. "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred, and unguarded." Etc.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Re: What's the deal with blood ravens psykers?

Postby Sandtiger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:08 pm

You'd need to play DOW2 and DOW3 to have a better sense of it, but there are a lot of Thousand Sons trademark wink-winks thrown in by Relic.

For example, one of the things that the Blood Ravens say as a slogan or motto is, "Knowledge is power. Guard it well." Doesn't that sound like something a Thousand Sons marine would say?

There are also in-game storyline references in DOW2 and its 3 expansions that more or less explicitly say that the hidden secret of the Blood Ravens' origins is that they're loyalist Thousand Sons descendants. I don't want to give DOW2 plot spoilers away so I won't unless you PM me about it.

--TMQ
PrideofVulkan
Name: Andrew
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: 30k Salamanders

Re: What's the deal with blood ravens psykers?

Postby PrideofVulkan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:17 pm

And who else would steal everyone's relics with such gusto?