The Great War-Machine Begins Construction

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

The Great War-Machine Begins Construction

Postby Connman234 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 pm

Fun Little Fluff

After the fall of the Mirnovy Campaign. Iron Father Roan began contemplating designs for a new machine. He tossed and toiled with it's concept and purpose for many weeks, months, and longer. But the main resources for this were scarse, due to being away from the forges of Mars, or any other notable allegiance to his Clan. This all changed when he received a single communication. This communication was from a man of legend, thought perished after many battles.
" A great war is upon us now. Mirnovy was the beginning of the Chaos incursion. These are the times where we do not fight among ourselves. These are the times where we unite and fight back against the enemies from the new Great Rift! Any and all resources may are at your disposal. I know that your Clan specializes in preserving the schematics for the vehicles of millenniums past and designing new ones of similar strength, so use them for your benefit Iron Father Roan.

Roboute Guilliman
Primarch of the Ultramarines"

With new orders in hand, Roan proceeded to his design console and opened his designs that he toiled with many moons ago. A new vigor filled him as the designs were now completed. This new machine will not be like the others. Not like the Predators, which are a tried-and-true death vehicle of destruction throughout his Clan. Not like the Land Raiders which protected his fellow Brothers in combat to positions most advantageous. No... This will be a machine beyond the toughness of these machines. It's size would not only house many of the brethren, but even those who serve in death. A shell that will never be ruptured, and a core never more stable. Unyielding as it charges in to the front lines, it shall be called... THE MASTODON.

Little Fluff aside, I have begun working on the largest vehicle in my entire collection. The Mastodon. Based on what I already did today (which took about 3 hours), my plan is to do sub-assemblies and paint the whole thing, inside and out. This is going to take many, many hours, but hopefully this will all be worth it. Pictures below are some to show just the scale of the model.
Mastodon 1.jpg
This one is for the scale of the main body. While the size of the thing and the number of pieces looks daunting, it's not as bad (knock on wood) to build so far. The top was warped in the front 6 ways from Sunday, and it looks like the back may be warped too, but should be fixable.
Mastodon 2.jpg
Similar to the other one, This is of just the treads. Due to the mold blocks, the rear treads are a real pain to get lined up, so much cutting and warping is needed. The fronts are fine. A little gap, but hardly noticeable until you get close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Re: The Great War-Machine Begins Construction

Postby Anacrucis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Oh daaaaaaaamn.
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Imperial Guard

Postby Terminator_X » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

Looks like a fun project! Keep us informed
Connman234
Officer

Postby Connman234 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Terminator_X wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm
Looks like a fun project! Keep us informed
Ask and you shall receive!
Mastodon 4.jpg
This is the final "Test Fit" before I start working on the interior. Yes. I am going all out with this bad boy. My goal is to keep the top not glued on, so that the marines in the transport will actually BE in it when they ride the Ice Cream Truck. At this point, the thing measures 11" long and about 4"-6" (Depending on proper placement of pieces) tall.
Mastodon 5.jpg
This is a shot of the rear interior and the detail they put in it.
Mastodon 6.jpg
This is a frontal shot facing through the entire thing. The front things with Green Stuff are hydraulics for the front doors. They were so warped, that it would be safer IMO to just liquid Green Stuff it than to heat it and bend it back.

Overall thoughts on the kit so far...

1) This thing is super fun to build! I knew when they first hinted at the Mastodon, I was going to build one in my 40k career.
2) From what I have built/test-fitted so far, It's not a super complicated kit (Knock-on-wood). Most of the pieces are large and in one piece for the lower section of the hull.
3) OH SWEET JEESUS THE WARP! There are many pieces, that one would not expect to be warped. The side hulls on the main body. They are not super thin (Looking at you Storm Eagle and Fire Raptor), but with how thick some of the sections are I didn't expect it. The bottom of the hull and the treads in the rear, were the largest headaches so far. Along with the warping, is expansion. There were many "locking mechanisms" modeled into the bottom plates for the hull, due to warping and expansion, none of them aligned on one of the sides. Much precision was needed to expand the slots to make the appropriate room, but not damage the exterior view.
4) If you do not have a hobby-saw don't even bother. The main tracks have 2 massive blocks that stick out and were used to inject the resin during casting. There is no possible way to trim that down with a standard pair of hobby clippers. Get yourself a saw to cut through it neatly.
5) And last, but certainly not least...
Gaps.jpg
There is not a section I glued or plan to glue, without there being some type of gap. Gap in all the treads, gap in the bottom of the hulls, gap in the door hydraulics. It's a good thing I got both types of Green Stuff to deal with them. I will need them, and probably more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PrideofVulkan
Name: Andrew
Armies: 30k Salamanders

Postby PrideofVulkan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 am

Ever try epoxy resin for your gap fill?
Connman234
Officer

Postby Connman234 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am

PrideofVulkan wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 am
Ever try epoxy resin for your gap fill?
No, I haven't. Normally, I don't use Green Stuff, so I'm seeing some of the better applications with this project. I know how useful it can be, but the last time I go liquid green stuff, it dried out immediately. Some gaps are not really noticeable, so I'm not going to fill all of them, but the bottom especially is very noticeable.

Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Liquid greenstuff has the annoying tendency to shrink as it cures and dries. Oddly, it's not a great gap-filler for that reason.
Connman234
Officer

Postby Connman234 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:37 pm

Well, I did get regular green stuff also that I plan to use on the large gaps. So problem solved?

Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Armies: Imperial Guard

Postby Terminator_X » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:40 pm

Have had a lot of success with this stuff for gap filling:
Connman234
Officer

Postby Connman234 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Been a while, but lots of progress recently. The work slowly continues on the interior. I'm almost done with the sides. There has been a lot of touching up, but this is definitely the thing that's pushing my skills to the limit. As I was working on some of the piping, I had to figure out what I wanted to do with some of these panels and "random" boxes inside. I have determined that they would be electrical boxes. With this in mind, I kind of went crazy.
Mastodon 7.jpg
Mastodon 8.jpg
I did mess up the numerations that I'm not fixing. Basically, there is one side with 5 panels and the other with 4. I did the odd numbers on the side with only 4 panels. Oh well, number IX is in a hard spot to see, so I'm not worried. All the lightning bolts are free-handed, which was a fun challenge on its own.

Slowly, but surely, it's getting there.