Andrew's Tau Progress

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
User avatar
hammerfixall
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm
Name: Andrew K
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Tau
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby hammerfixall » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 am

A lesson learned for ambitious future gamers: Painting a gigantic Tau army all in one go really gets boring fast. I imagine Tau in particular, with their very militaristic and uniform color scheme, is probably one of the most boring armies color-wise. I spent half the weekend just painting one color (Abbadon black) onto Crisis Suits, Broadsides, Ghostkeels, and Riptides. Tedious. When I finally switched to Khorne red you have no idea how excited I was. It's starting to pay off though; I'm very close to having a few thousand points of Tau in three colors. Will post a picture later.

My next army I will build very slowly and buy and paint one kit at a time.
User avatar
MrScotty
Officer
Posts: 1715
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby MrScotty » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 am

hammerfixall wrote:A lesson learned for ambitious future gamers: Painting a gigantic Tau army all in one go really gets boring fast. I imagine Tau in particular, with their very militaristic and uniform color scheme, is probably one of the most boring armies color-wise. I spent half the weekend just painting one color (Abbadon black) onto Crisis Suits, Broadsides, Ghostkeels, and Riptides. Tedious. When I finally switched to Khorne red you have no idea how excited I was. It's starting to pay off though; I'm very close to having a few thousand points of Tau in three colors. Will post a picture later.

My next army I will build very slowly and buy and paint one kit at a time.
Another tip, try not batch painting. I've timed myself, and I tend to paint on average 20% faster when I batch paint, but I end up painting about 50% less because I get bored with it. Even when I'm doing large army projects like I am now, I go one model at a time and use the completed, nice looking models to encourage me to finish the rest of the squad.

I also don't have an airbrush though, I'm sure that drives a lot of the motivation behind batch painting. But I feel like even if I did have one, I'd do my basic color with the airbrush, then do 100% of my brush painting to get models finished one at a time.

Like, at the end of the day does it really take that much longer for me to finish one color, reach for another pot and get it open as opposed to finish one color and reach for another model?
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
User avatar
hammerfixall
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm
Name: Andrew K
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Tau
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby hammerfixall » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:05 am

I agree 100%... batch painting sucks exactly because it's boring. To your point, I had one model that I had painted with the three colors already and I kept it nearby for inspiration and motivation as I trudged through Abbadon black.

However, if I were inclined to do the assembly-line again in the future I would fully commit: by properly leveraging the airbrush and by painting on the sprue, or at least partially-completed modules, that would speed the process up significantly. The problem with how I did this is that it's the worst of all worlds (i.e. building the models 100% and primering and then painting in-between games), because while I was able to spray primer and airbrush the base coat, I needed to use brushes for the next two colors. I did it this way so I could play the game while also painting.

The other thing I'm coming away from this with is a dislike for Citadel paints. They're way thick and dry too fast and the bottle is extremely annoying; it's almost impossible to pour a small amount neatly onto a palette. Unfortunately I'm heavily invested in them now although as I need new colors I'll be buying Vallejo.
User avatar
Connman234
Officer
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:41 pm
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby Connman234 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 am

hammerfixall wrote: However, if I were inclined to do the assembly-line again in the future I would fully commit: by properly leveraging the airbrush and by painting on the sprue, or at least partially-completed modules, that would speed the process up significantly. The problem with how I did this is that it's the worst of all worlds (i.e. building the models 100% and primering and then painting in-between games), because while I was able to spray primer and airbrush the base coat, I needed to use brushes for the next two colors. I did it this way so I could play the game while also painting.
This is what I do with 99.99% of what I have to paint. Do the base coat on the sprue, then clip, assemble, and detail. Doing it on the sprue also allows for more details on areas normally missed due to bits blocking the path to a detail.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Image
User avatar
MrScotty
Officer
Posts: 1715
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby MrScotty » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 am

hammerfixall wrote:I agree 100%... batch painting sucks exactly because it's boring. To your point, I had one model that I had painted with the three colors already and I kept it nearby for inspiration and motivation as I trudged through Abbadon black.

However, if I were inclined to do the assembly-line again in the future I would fully commit: by properly leveraging the airbrush and by painting on the sprue, or at least partially-completed modules, that would speed the process up significantly. The problem with how I did this is that it's the worst of all worlds (i.e. building the models 100% and primering and then painting in-between games), because while I was able to spray primer and airbrush the base coat, I needed to use brushes for the next two colors. I did it this way so I could play the game while also painting.

The other thing I'm coming away from this with is a dislike for Citadel paints. They're way thick and dry too fast and the bottle is extremely annoying; it's almost impossible to pour a small amount neatly onto a palette. Unfortunately I'm heavily invested in them now although as I need new colors I'll be buying Vallejo.

I've used Vallejo for years and I have to say if you're working with a wet pallete, they tend to fare a little better, but I love the GW metallics and their highlight tones have a few really really excellent colors. Having recently gotten to try out a huge swathe of the GW range, I've got maybe 10 colors that in my opinion are well worth the premium you'll pay for GW, and the rest I'm generally unimpressed with. If I want a dark, subtle color, it's generally going to be a base coat that won't show up much in the final model anyway, so I'm happy to just drop out a vallejo color and mix to get the color I want. For a really vibrant highlight tone, the GW layer paints are nice.

The only GW base color I really really love is Averland Sunset. I don't know what witchcraft they used to get it, but it's a yellow base color that acts like a normal paint and not like a yellow paint (i.e. impossible to work with). For red, blue, white, black, brown, purple, green, turqoise, and orange, I've found Vallejo is pretty much interchangeable if not just the tiniest bit easier to work than GW because I typically do use a palette to keep things thin and damp, and having to thin in the pot with GW paints is a bit fiddlier. Trying to use the wet palette with GW is obnoxious because I so frequently get paint into the ferrule of my brush when I'm trying to transfer a decent amount of paint from the pot to the palette.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
User avatar
hammerfixall
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm
Name: Andrew K
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Tau
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby hammerfixall » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:59 pm

I actually resorted to using Citadel "Air" version of Abbadon Black (I had it because I had initially planned to airbrush components, but then rushed the build process) because it's basically pre-thinned.

Scotty, you're right about certain colors though, metallics in particular. Citadel nails it with those. Reminds me of the Humbrol oil paints that I used to paint my lead Napoleanic soldiers back in the old days.
User avatar
hammerfixall
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm
Name: Andrew K
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Tau
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby hammerfixall » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:49 pm

I finally got a nice hobby area set up now that I have more space, here in Seattle. Hopefully I can get my Tau painting done and then start buying some new models. The past several months were crammed with work travel and then moving, now I actually have some time to get things done. Hopefully a lot more will be posted here soon.

This space is really oriented around painting; I don't really have a problem building just about anywhere but it's painting where I always start to feel jammed up. In addition to all my primer-only Tau I have a bunch of tanks that need finishing as well so that's why I set the space up this way.
IMG_2408.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Terminator_X
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:03 pm
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby Terminator_X » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 pm

That's an excellent looking work-space, I'm envious!
User avatar
hammerfixall
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:11 pm
Name: Andrew K
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Tau
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby hammerfixall » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks! I've also switched over to Vallejo Game Color for the most part now. Citadel makes great paints, but those pots drive me crazy.
User avatar
The cosmic serpent
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:37 am
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL
Location: Chelmsford MA

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby The cosmic serpent » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 am
Another tip, try not batch painting. I've timed myself, and I tend to paint on average 20% faster when I batch paint, but I end up painting about 50% less because I get bored with it. Even when I'm doing large army projects like I am now, I go one model at a time and use the completed, nice looking models to encourage me to finish the rest of the squad.

I also don't have an airbrush though, I'm sure that drives a lot of the motivation behind batch painting. But I feel like even if I did have one, I'd do my basic color with the airbrush, then do 100% of my brush painting to get models finished one at a time.

Like, at the end of the day does it really take that much longer for me to finish one color, reach for another pot and get it open as opposed to finish one color and reach for another model?
Batch painting by brush is extremely boring to me. I tend to do minimum squads at a time, even if I have say 6 squads of something I would rather have 1 squad nice and finished and ready to use then spread it out over 6 squads and wait for all 6 before getting to play. This is what I'm struggling with painting my Alpha Legion. 100+ infantry models is tedious to get through. I sympathize with your horde players out there.

I have an air brush and so far I can only see myself using it for basing a primary color and maybe doing some blending (Like on the Yncarne's magical swirling wraith bone). I'm not sure how people are able to paint entirely with an airbrush? I still do most of my shading, layer colors, (and when I get to it sometimes) highlighting by brush. I do enjoy reaching for a different color more so then another model. What really surprises me is I go into painting thinking I will only need about 5 or 6 colors and then when I have finished my painting session I find I'm surrounded by a dozen pots of open paint. The sad thing is when looking you can't really tell all those colors are on there, maybe that's a good thing?

I like the table, if you don't mind me asking what is the brand/model and where did you find it?