Andrew's Tau Progress

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
hammerfixall
Name: Andrew K
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Tau

Re: Andrew's Tau Progress

Postby hammerfixall » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Totally agree w/ your sentiment Keith. Last night I started painting just two models from the Dark Vengeance box set that I bought ages ago and only assembled; a Dark Angels Terminator and a Space Marine. I took my time and did two vs one so that I could let certain coats dry a bit between paintings without stopping. This was SO much more pleasant than trying to paint 14 Crisis Suits in one go. And the models look pretty amazing, if I may say so myself, which (as Scotty had pointed out previously) is very encouraging to keep going and provides a template for the rest of them.

The airbrush is great for base coats, as you mentioned, as well as some assembly-line painting of miniatures (which I hope to avoid in the future) but it really excels at terrain and vehicles. Specifically the scale model tanks I like to build when I'm not building Warhammer stuff. Those are almost entirely airbrushed... lots of thin, transparent layers.

The table is a "Seville Classics Ultra HD". I bought it on Amazon and it was not too expensive (under $300). Assembly was pretty straight forward, I did it by myself, and it's super sturdy. The wood top in particular is the most impressive; it's solid like a butcher block and almost two inches thick.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm feeling you on the "finally got back to painting" front man. But I am loving your setup. So tidy and organized. What are you using for a paint rack? And is your pegboard custom or something you bought made like that?' And do you have any future plans for what might hang up there? I've considered the pegboard option but wasn't really sure what I could suitably hang on there in terms of tiny hobby tools.

And how wide is your spray hood? i am very pleased with mine but it seems to have a large footprint.
hammerfixall
Name: Andrew K
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Tau

Postby hammerfixall » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 am

Thanks!

I'm using paint racks from Vallejo for the Vallejo Game colors (a corner rack and a regular one). Between the two I think they hold around 80 regular dropper-style paint bottles and several large primer / thinner / flow improver bottles. The rack to the far left is for the Citadel paint pots and holds 40 pots. I got all the racks on Amazon. I actually have about 90+ additional bottles of paint; a few Citadel although mostly Vallejo Model Color, Model Colour brand, Mig, and Panzer Aces brand in the drawer since I don't use those as often and when I do, such a large pallet isn't needed (they're mostly for airbrushing 1/35 tank models. While it would be nice to have them all on the desktop, I prioritized based on space available and frequency of use.

The pegboard was included with the workbench and having used the bench for about a week now, I'm thinking about hanging shelves on the pegboard to hold in-progress models. Maybe some completed models for inspiration or guidance. Initially I was worried about that blocking the light but the light that comes with the bench - not surprisingly - is insufficient for painting work so I ordered a "daylight" lamp designed for painting. It comes w/ a bench-top clip so it won't take up real estate and can be positioned right over my work.

That hood is 16" wide and 19" deep so it takes up a good deal of space on the bench although I think it's worth it to be able to fire up the airbrush at any time and not have to unpack stuff first like I used to. Any barriers that can be removed make the work a bit more enjoyable (and me less likely to procrastinate).

And speaking of, I've been working on some Space Marine models (maybe I'll have to change the name of this thread) to try out different color pallets and put some mileage on the workstation. I did some of the Dark Angels I've had sitting around since Dark Vengeance, a team of Ultramarine Scouts I put together for Shadow War Armageddon... and I've got the new Dark Imperium box set so I'm looking forward to building and painting those marines next.

Picture attached; note the bad lighting :)
IMG_2457.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Yeah lighting is the biggest challenge in my current setup. I think I will get some of those lamps Anthony got - my coworkers use them at their desks and they are excellent.

And I definitely know what you mean about making things easy on yourself and removing barriers.

That is the same hood I have then, I think. It takes up a good footprint but it looks like you have plenty of space if that's the scale of the whole bench.

I'll have to look for those paint holders. They look good. Right now i just have a wall mounted nail polish rack with overflow kind of scattered all over my table.