What I've been working on lately

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Re: What I've been working on lately

Postby Sandtiger » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:31 am

So today I did transfers for the first time EVER and boy are they stressful when you're holding tweezers and hoping they don't fall off the stupid paper. The soldiers look good though. And I also owe someone a Firestorm Redoubt from a long time ago so I made progress on that today. All the gold was done today.
Transfers

Transfers.jpg
[/hidden]
Firestorm Redoubt piece

Fortress.jpg
[/hidden]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah transfers take a little bit of practice but overall I think they're pretty forgiving. As long as you keep them wet you can move them around until you're happy with the position. Usually what I do rather than pick them up with tweezers is just trim the paper close to the design and slide it right off the paper onto the model. Obviously sometimes though tweezers are required to get it into an awkward spot.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:32 am

Huh, I have a totally different method.

Usually, I will cut out my desired shape, and place it carefully paper-down on the surface tension of a bowl of water. If you wait a minute or so, the paper should fill up with water, and float to the bottom, leaving the transfer sticky-side-down floating on the surface tension. Then, you can just take your hobby knife, lift it carefully out of the water, and place it on the model. Then I'll press the transfer down and soak up the water with a dry paintbrush.

I've tried methods that involve sliding the transfer off the paper before, but every time I screw it up and tear the transfer in half with my hobby knife.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Anacrucis

Postby Anacrucis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:01 am

Also I think it was Paul T had a good article on the old forums about transfers, not sure if it got copied over or not but I've had a ton of success with his advanced technique. The cliffs notes version:

1) THIN coat of gloss varnish
2) decal set/softening fluid (blue bottle)
3) put the actual decal on
4) decal set fluid (red bottle)
5) let dry
6) matte varnish

Honestly I am not convinced there's a tremendous amount of difference between the red and blue bottles, and for most purposes I think you're good with just the blue (that was the only one I ever used as a kid doing model planes). I have even heard that you can use white vinegar.

The key really is the varnish and using SOMETHING to soften the decals. The gloss varnish gives it a smooth surface to bond to, the softening agent helps it conform to the model and flatten out better, and the matte varnish blends the whole effect when finished into the rest of the paint job so you don't get that "silver" edge around it.
Anacrucis

Postby Anacrucis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:03 am

MrScotty wrote:Huh, I have a totally different method.

Usually, I will cut out my desired shape, and place it carefully paper-down on the surface tension of a bowl of water. If you wait a minute or so, the paper should fill up with water, and float to the bottom, leaving the transfer sticky-side-down floating on the surface tension. Then, you can just take your hobby knife, lift it carefully out of the water, and place it on the model. Then I'll press the transfer down and soak up the water with a dry paintbrush.

I've tried methods that involve sliding the transfer off the paper before, but every time I screw it up and tear the transfer in half with my hobby knife.
Yeah I have had a hard time sometimes tearing or cutting. But yeah I do the knife technique sometimes. Sometimes I just use my finger or a brush. I find that sometimes the decals are less willing to "let go" of the paper than others. That's usually when I wind up tearing them. Be careful to protect your sheets from moisture I guess.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:09 am

Also, another fun thing about decals: you can just get that paper that they're printed on and make your own if you'd like! It's not super cheap as far as paper goes, but for probably...five to eight bucks, if you had the Jpg image of what you wanted printed on the paper you could probably go to most staples or printing places and get a custom one made up. Really nice for those folks like Brian who have custom armies and want nice clean decals rather than freehanding every shoulderpad.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Sandtiger

Postby Sandtiger » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Firestorm Redoubt was worked on today, more Gold for the Gold God. Next up is the grey on the bottom of the gun emplacements.
Gold Gold Everywhere

gold.jpg
[/hidden]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sandtiger

Postby Sandtiger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:34 am

Today I worked on my Stormfang because damn did that thing need it - the paint was chipping off and it just looked ugly. She looks so much more flight-worthy now.
Stormfang

Stormfang.jpg
Stormfang2.jpg
[/hidden]
Anacrucis

Postby Anacrucis » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 pm

That's such a cool model. I mean in play I'm not a fan of any of my flyer transports, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to have them!
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Looking good Tomas!

Yeah a single flyer adds such a rich dynamic to a game. I should do up some Orky ones
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death