Stripping paint from plastic minis

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
CourierLuke
Name: Luke. P
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Dark Angels, Eldar

Stripping paint from plastic minis

Postby CourierLuke » Fri May 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Hey what is the best way to strip paint from plastic minis? I want to repaint my first land raider that i got, and some guardsmen. Whats the best way to get that paint off?
Picture 33.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Re: Stripping paint from plastic minis

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Fri May 26, 2017 6:26 pm

I've been told that soaking it in Simply Green and then scrubbing after a couple of days is the best way
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death
smbarne
Name: Stephen Barnes
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Raven Guard & Black Templar

Postby smbarne » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:55 am

I tried three different things before I found one that worked well for me. That said, a Land Raider is a very large model, so your milage may vary.

- Can't even remember the first one. It worked really poorly. I think it was a Dawn product.
- Simple Green. Purchasable in a very large bottle so it could be good there. I soaked it for a full 24 hours and got moderate results after scrubbing.
- Super Clean. Comes in a purple bottle. This stuff is the best. I've only bought it in a smaller bottle, but it does work. Fantastic on any metal figures, but also does good work on plastic without softening it. Soak it in Super Clean for 24 hours, then rise and scrub.

A wire brush / nylon brush set also helps. I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037 ... UTF8&psc=1. I bet the Hobby Bunker has something similar.

It also depends on how long something has been painted and if it was a primer. I found the black primer on my 10 year old marines really soaked in there.

Good luck!
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars

Postby Darth Hoodie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:48 pm

Isopropyl Alcohol %93 start with a bath in simple green do a scrub then finish in a bath of rubbing Alcohol, it works the balls.
"Suffer not the unclean to live."