Mark II destroyers?

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Mark II destroyers?

Postby Anacrucis » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 pm

I want to build a destroyer squad and I want to paint it in pre-prosperine colors. Trying to figure out what mark of powe me armor makes the most sense for that, and how to accomplish it without bankrupting myself on FW infantry kits just for, say, the arms, or the jump packs.

Anyone have a sense of how "new" the mark IV armor was in terms of the timeline of the crusade? Would a legion have received it before their primarch was found?

Cuz doing this with mark IV armor would be the easiest option.

Alternatively I could buy the mark IV kit and stick the arms on some plastic mark III bodies (I have extra) if we thought the mark IV arms wouldn't look too stupid.

Third option is buying a mark II assault squad and a mark IV destroyer squad and switching the arms. Again have the problem of mark IV arms on mark II bodies but maybe it's not that noticeable?

Or I could try to kitbash something together with mark III bodies and one of the bolt pistol upgrade kits.
PrideofVulkan
Name: Andrew
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: 30k Salamanders

Re: Mark II destroyers?

Postby PrideofVulkan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am

This is a YMMV question.

Mark II and III are really similar in look. If you used Mark III, few would notice the difference.
Mark IV was made at the end of the Great Crusade, so it would be after Prospero was found.

MK III armor with jump packs might be the best option. If you like the look of MK III armor with MK IV arms, you even are in the fluff for what MK V armor was, which was the hodgepodging of marks in the midst of the end of the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy make Mark V.

If you want pure fluff MK II, well, the resin crack always calls out sweetly...
Anacrucis

Postby Anacrucis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:01 am

I think I'm going to table this project for now ... I have enough infantry already!

But yeah the resin crack does call out ...

Problem with mark 3 as I see it is it's basically a heavier version of mark 2. While that doesn't make a diff within the rules, it doesn't seem fluffy to put jump packs on mark 3 guys. Tho IIRC there is a mark 3 assault squad kit so maybe I'm full of spit.

I figure having mark 4 arms on mark 2 or 3 is only a problem for the real purists. If the shoulders are the appropriate mark for the armor I don't think the "wrong" hands wrists and elbows would be too obvious.
PrideofVulkan
Name: Andrew
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: 30k Salamanders

Postby PrideofVulkan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:33 pm

If anyone gives you a hard time about MK III bodies with MK IV arms, they must hate my kitbashed firedrakes and Anvil Industries cybernetics parts for my IW.
Anacrucis

Postby Anacrucis » Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Oh yeah Anvil... that might be a good solution actually. I'll have to check them out again.