goblin's workshop

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
goblin
Name: anthony lawrence
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: tyranids, pantsthieves, sisters+friends

goblin's workshop

Postby goblin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Gotta name this thread something to differentiate from the other Anthony, who as it turns out, also shares the same last initial...

Not the right game, but I've been working with the airbrush (which I've mentioned here) on some things that I wanted to show off:

This first one was my first attempt at base coating with the airbrush. Mixed my own colors from Testors airbrush paint (it was cheap at Michael's with a coupon, my girlfriend spent a bunch of points on coupon related upgrades, so I basically never pay full price for anything at that store :lol: ) and sprayed it over brown primer. The teal and the brown underneath were both base coated with the airbrush. I tried to use some paper to block spots off, but I ended up with a little bit of missed spray or unsprayed spots that I went back over with a brush.
bastiladon-base.jpg
Here's a grainy picture of the (mostly) completed model at an event this weekend (I may grab a better pic of it later):
basts.jpg
This guy I used the same paint and mixed up a few shades to create the gradient effect. It worked really well and I was able to do a much better job blocking spots with the paper (though I still had a few spots with unintended paint). Series of 4 blues over black primer. The whole thing (not including priming) took me about a half hour, which is WAY less than if I had tried to do the same thing with a brush (at least at my skill level...). I'll have to get something else to put next to this for scale, basically: this thing is HUGE (goes on a 180mm circle!)
beetle.jpg
My next airburshing step is to do the rider. I'm using one of these: http://www.ragingheroes.com/products/sy ... ry-version and I'm planning to do another gradient effect in green for the dress and a multicolored one on the spots of the wings (then painting over the webbing mesh whatever you want to call it in silver).

I've got a bunch of pictures of my other AoS stuff, but I'm gonna refrain from posting it unless people really want to see it. Just wanted to throw this up here because it's related to airbrushing which I know that some other people and I have all recently started dabbling in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goblin

Re: goblin's workshop

Postby goblin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:05 pm

And now for something actually 40k related:

Put together a couple sisters vehicles. On the right is a repressor (fw kit plus fw doors and front) and on the left is the immolator that was my secret santa gift from Indy. MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU GET FLAMETHROWERED!
tanks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goblin

Postby goblin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:13 pm

This just came in the mail. It's so goofy I just felt a powerful urge to share it :lol: This may actually be the next 40k model I put paint on (maybe I'll finish my current projects for that other game we don't talk about before the next release, I can't resist a balloon dwarf with a tophat and a monocle).
patriarchthroneunpainted.jpg
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Fan. Freakin'. Tastic. Jabba the Patriarch is a fantastic piece of museum-quality terrible that must be preserved and loved like a fine B-movie.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
effullbao
Name: Ben L
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Ork/Nurgle Daemons

Postby effullbao » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:29 pm

The old school patriarch is hilarious. You should definitely post a side by side when you get the opportunity.
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:53 am

Squee! Old patriarch!

Also, where's the giant bug you posted before come from? Planning a kitbashed Tyranid with it?
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death
goblin

Postby goblin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:56 am

It's this lady: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sy ... -Everqueen

I bought just the beetle on ebay since I wanted to use a thirdparty model as the rider: (no nids kitbashing unfortunately)
IMG_20170316_195858947.jpg
The beetle is done, but the rider is just primed. I discovered that there were a lot of gaps in the pewter where it was glued so I went back and greenstuffed them and then had to reprime. It's been a bit too cold to do any airbrushing in my garage so I haven't started on her yet.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:26 am

I just want to say that I thoroughly appreciate your work of converting an Ankylosaurus to whatever that thing is now. Or is it the official mini for something? I am never sure with these things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosaurus
goblin

Postby goblin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:34 am

Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:41 pm

/claps hands delightedly and goes straight back to being a dinosaur kid of 5 years old