Scotty's Hobby Bloggy

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Scotty's Hobby Bloggy

Postby MrScotty » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Draaen wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:52 pm
Those look really cool. They'll be some really nice LOS blockers and I can see people going after those first. That eldar landing pad in the background looks really large and impressive I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Well, good thing we brought enough for the whole class. We've still got two of the tall barrackses, four of the bunkers, and sixteen stackable shipping crates yet to paint, on top of the Eldar stuff. Also, a large Aegis defense line generously donated by Tom X which is next up on my docket to complete. The Eldar terrain I will probably take my time and do up all pretty like.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:28 pm

With the preview of the vostroyan tactics it's pretty clear my special weapons need a bit of a bump up from the standard flamers that come with the vostroyan kit. As it turns out you can customise a metal model a bit, you just need some patience and a Dremel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:51 pm

I conclude my week off terrain work with a new couple of units to irritate and infuriate: Some lovely Horrors of Tzeentch and their homeslice the changeling. -1 to hit? 4++ saves? Multiple wounds on a 3 point model? What more fun could you ask for? These adorable critters will now be employed to the task of dying slowly in front of my Thousand Sons, and looking good while doing it.

These models were incredibly fun and varied, and bringing them to wonderful completion hopefully will inspire me to inch my small power armored army laboriously over the finish line. Just eight more models and a rhino plus basing to match the guys you see here, and the whole army will be finished!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:37 pm

If you want your battlefield to have a different look, we now have this nice collection of Eldar ruins suitable for our wilderness terrain and new rocks!

Also they're nicely ruined so if you want to put them in along with the ignorant monkeigh buildings, they'll still fit in.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 pm

Today I finally finished 100% all my Thousand Sons marines (still have a couple tzaangors and such to do, but this is all the rubricae). Based em up to match my new Daemon buddies, and I'm excited to take them for a spin on sunday!
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Today I've got part cool kit, part me wanting to improve on human skin tone. This is a kairic acolyte, which will serve as less mutated members of my big 30 man tzaangor blob.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:30 pm

After three long weeks, I have finally finished the last piece of my Thousand Sons army: A full brayherd of Tzaangors to sprint up the field ahead of Ahriman and pilfer the relics of the enemy.

I used Kairic Acolytes from AoS as the last twenty, because I wanted to have a really mixed, crazy rabble of mutants and monsters with all kinds of different colors and sculpts and man were those guys a blast. They took a while to get through but the results include some of my favorite models I've ever done. and, because I have the attention span of a mosquito so I may as well make use of it, I learned how to paint about sixteen different skin tones. Some more applicable than others, admittedly.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 am

Yesterday I finished up the Goliath truck that I was working on during the Hobbytime Hangout. Very cool model, but holy moly do these kinds of transports take a long time to paint. Hey we heard you finished painting a squad of guys, so here paint another squad of guys to be standing on the transport!
Game Preferences:
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Postby Terminator_X » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 am

thats rad dude it looks sorta like a bigger version of those old SAS jeeps
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am

Terminator_X wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 am
thats rad dude it looks sorta like a bigger version of those old SAS jeeps
Yeah, I tried to go for an industrial "this used to be white" look for the base paint, I think it turned out a lot better than my first attempt with the Rockgrinder (thin your paints, boys!) with loads of weathering, rust, gunk etc.

I bought two of these together, and did everything I could to make the second one distinct and different looking. Chopped up the mono-pose crewmen to get a couple different arm combinations, swapped out the mounted stubber on top in favor of having the gunner actually holding a stubber, and used drum-fed Sentinel autocannons instead of the banana stock versions you get with the GSC kit.

That's one reason I really like this army over the base AM sculpts - everything the AM has has always seemed a little too "clean" for things you actually see in photographs from WW2 and the like. I preferred the older kits that came with random crap like bags, shovels, pots and pans and such that the soldiers in the vehicle would be storing on top of it. Just a symptom of the cadian sculpts being super old I guess.
Game Preferences: