Scotty's Hobby Bloggy

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Scotty's Hobby Bloggy

Postby MrScotty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Getting the last few models I need for my list completed for Sunday - just a couple finishing touches on a pair of scourges andim all done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:29 am

Back on the ball with terrain progress after last week being mostly wyches. I'm going to have to prime up some more stuff to paint, because I'm all finished with my first batch. So far, I've done:

6/6 Sprues of building support stilts (still have to figure out how to safely detach and re-paint the ones on the existing sector mechanicus building)
2/4 big central cylinder pillars
1/6 Munitorum Armored Containers (though those are pretty much nearly complete once I've primed them, the actual painting took like 5min)
5/12 sprues of walkways/ladders/crennelations/dangly skull bits
1/3 smaller central pillar/pipes
Ryza Ruin "filler walls" not started
Haemotrope Reactor not started
Galvanic Servohaulers kit not started
5/a lot various filler crates, barrels, pipes, turrets, computers, comm arrays and various other bits and bobs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 am

Today, a terrain update! All told at this point I probably have about 2/3 to 3/4 of the painting completely finished on the new GW Sector Mechanicus terrain board we'll be putting together for y'all. You can see from the images below, I am painting it all before assmbling it. The trick with the sector mechanicus stuff to keep it useful for games of 40k is to get it to block Line of Sight. To that end, we got a set of smaller ruin walls, which handily are made to match with the stilts that the sector mechanicus buildings stand on. With a few other scenery pieces like Munitorum crates and maybe a Haemotrope Reactor, the base plate of one of the larger buildings can be made to completely block line of sight as well as being handy to climb up on as a ruin.

At the end of the day I hope to have about five large building complexes, several smaller pieces, plus the void shield generator for a set that would really densely cover one board, but also looks good with a lot of our other terrain pieces so it can be shared around.

Total progress so far:

Stilt leg sprues: 8/8 complete, loose stilts from the existing SM set not yet painted
Platform/Crenellation sprues: 8/12 complete, existing SM set not yet painted
Large base cylinders: 3/4 complete
Smaller base tanks: 3/3 complete
Haemotrope Reactors: 1/2 complete
Munitorum Containers: 4/6 complete
Ryza Ruin Walls: About 3/4 complete, don't know exact number
Void Shield Generator: Not yet started
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Sat May 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Now with terrain finished for the moment I can get some miniature painting in! Here I've got a techmarine with conversion beamer I commissioned and kitbashed for Tom E, and the start of my Necromunda Orlocks!
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 am

It's Harvey Birdman, Attorney At Law!

I'm working on some Thousand Sons exalted sorcerors now, because despite having the single most boring rules I can possibly imagine for an HQ model with a full, gigantic multi-part plastic kit, they are very very pretty.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 23, 2018 8:32 am

More diabolical sorcery! That exalted sorceror kit is just incredible for creating cool, dynamic poses and unique models, I would absolutely kill for a kit like this for my Dark Eldar or my Orks. This guy was definitely calling out for some cool spellcasting OSL so I gave him glowy eyeballs and a glowy hand.
Game Preferences:
PlaguemasterFlex
Officer
Name: Dave
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: CSM (Death Guard) + Daemons

Postby PlaguemasterFlex » Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 am

Nicely done. I just primed 3 of these guys from the box (awesome kit, though it took me forever to realize there's no right-handed force sword) and am looking forward to getting them done after Mr. Magnus.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 23, 2018 12:14 pm

PlaguemasterFlex wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 am
Nicely done. I just primed 3 of these guys from the box (awesome kit, though it took me forever to realize there's no right-handed force sword) and am looking forward to getting them done after Mr. Magnus.
hahaha. yep.

This is a multi-part kit that includes such diverse elements as:

-8-10 completely different looking hafts to the staffs, from bladed spears to scythe heads to spinning sun disks

-Mutated arm casting some sort of spell on the bullets going into a bolt pistol

-mutant chicken head+feather arm

-Guy flying on a fart with giant taloned chicken legs

-Floating book familiar thingy

-Flying attack tassels with bird skulls

-backpack made of snakebirds

-three different magic robecapes

And all these bits, two unique sprues worth in a box the size of a normal 10-man troop box just to make three super-customizable awesome and unique HQs....all of them have no rules at all.

What can the models swap their equipment for, you ask?

Why, weapons that DON'T come in the kit of course! THREE out of a total of FIVE different options available to the characters who have more available bits in their official GW kit than any other character in the entire game don't come in that box. If you want any of your three exalted sorcerors to be different in any way to the other two you'd better get out your bitz box you peasant.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri May 25, 2018 11:42 pm

Really excited about this model. He's basically finished but as I was highlighting him one of my big dumb blonde hairs fell on him and I had an idea. I'll put a couple of layers of mod podge on it for structure and strength (it'll dry into a clear rubber) then I'll paint it with a yellow glaze to make him look like he's drawing out a beaded strand of fate from his spinning planetarium staff thingy.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 pm

"Fly closer! I shall be the baleflamer!"

My custom Thousand Son heldrake is complete! I picked up this gorgeous fantasy pheonix on sale and I was planning on using just the bird, but the exalted sorceror bits looked so fun with it.
Game Preferences: