Scotty's Hobby Bloggy

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Scotty's Hobby Bloggy

Postby MrScotty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:16 pm

These seem to be all the rage these days and they seem fun and like a great way to keep motivation for painting up, so here we go!

The first thing I've got for my blog is one of the projects I was working on last night in the google hangout: the first of my five Wraithblades for my All-Eldar freakshow army.

I'd already done a bunch of the old metal wraithguards but this guy was fantastic because he offered me a huge amount of area for freehanding and patterns. I'm a huge fan of "non-perfectionist freehand", ever since my first Orks had squiggles of yellow warpaint. Freehand details that are intricate, but variable enough that a single mistake doesn't make you want to gouge your eye out are always loads of fun.

The stars and galaxy pattern I've put on this guy's body is pretty easy to do - take a light blue color and make a single asterisk (a few crossing lines) and then surround it with a cluster of small dots. Then repeat that randomly on a few spots on the model to make little star pockets. Then, once you're satisfied that you've got enough stars, take white and put white dots in the centers of your big stars. If you're looking at a single star closely, it'll be a bit sloppy, but the whole effect it has on the model can be really cool.

The moon on his face is absolutely my favorite part of the model, and makes me very excited for the rest of my wraithblades. The old WG kit had eldar gem lumps actually on the head, and the new kit not only doesn't have that but it's also quite a bit larger, meaning I have tons of room to do big, cartoony freehands. The creepy moon face is something I remember from an anime show one of my roommates in college loved, and I love how it came out on the shape of the wraithblade's head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer

Re: Scotty's Hobby Bloggy

Postby MrScotty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Tonight's work is a second Kabalite warrior with Splinter Cannon. I'd initially held off on this guy because his completion would mean to field him I would need to paint *shudder* a second Raider.

I may, at some point in the future, be ready in mind and body for that task. But for now I have two choices for splinter cannoneer. I like the way his black leg armor came out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 am

As always, I love the free handed masks and the bright colors! You've gotta show me sometime how you get the edge highlighting so clean (like the white lines on the kalabite armor)- side of the brush?
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:27 am

WaaaghDynasty wrote:As always, I love the free handed masks and the bright colors! You've gotta show me sometime how you get the edge highlighting so clean (like the white lines on the kalabite armor)- side of the brush?
Whenever it gives me a free hard edge, I do take it, but mostly I've just spent a lot of time trying and failing to do high contrast edge highlights. My personal journey to learning to paint started with, like most people, frustration with my first few models looking flat and garish and blobby because I used super bright colors with no thinning whatsoever. Then I went through the traditional "Dark colors and dark washes with very little highlighting" phase, where you learn that shakey hands can be easily cured with colors looking darker, and they look really really amazing when you hold the miniature 3" from your nose. It was only with the clowns that I learned how much I liked doing really bright high contrast colors and I started basically doing it on most stuff that I paint, because it makes stuff really stand out on the tabletop.

The easiest way to learn edge highlighting is to start with very short lines that make use of the triangle shape of the brush. It's hard to paint a straight line because you have to keep your hand exactly the same distance from the model the whole way across, but it's easy to do a thin triangle. Pick a point on the model you want to highlight, like say a sword point make a short thin triangle along one edge, and then a second along the other edge, and then later if you want take a really bright color like white and add a single dot right on that point. That's what I did with the Kabalite's toe point here.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:25 am

More fun therapetic Eldar painting! in preparation for the new Gangs of Cormorragh game, I'm painting up my one existing squad of Helions. Left them unmasked because I loved the "punk" aesthetic to them.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Two new ones tonight, adding to my now 25% done Gangs of Cormorragh set. Two Hellions, one an excuse to use my Lucius Lilac paint who I'm calling "the mauve avenger", and the other another shameless tribute to my favorite video game character. This would stop happening if GW would stop giving me gosh darn Tali masks.
Game Preferences:
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:30 am

Looking good Scott! What does the "SR" on the wing stand for?
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:06 am

SR-02 Normandy, the space ship from Mass Effect.
Game Preferences:
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:32 am

MrScotty wrote:SR-02 Normandy, the space ship from Mass Effect.
AWESOME REFERENCE! Love the SR-02!
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Moar dark eldar gangsters! Tonight I wanted to try and tackle something I've always had difficulty with color-wise, which was orange/yellow, and though I didn't go for an insanely bright yellow finish I think he came out pretty nice. Love the shield pattern he's got going on at various points around his bike, in which I learned that circles are far easier than hexagons.

After that, I did two relatively quick and easy helions. The first was something I realized I hadn't actually done....which was a harley quinn harlequin, and the other was just for fun because I got him in such a great pose. My idea was to make him an arena neophyte reveling in his first absurdly gory kill. every once in a while, you just have to bust out the Blood for the Blood God paint and go to town. He's going to have a hell of a time at the Comorragh laundromat trying to get that out of his white shirt.
Game Preferences: