Guys how have I made it this long without knowing this?

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Guys how have I made it this long without knowing this?

Postby Anacrucis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Saw this on an Adam Savage build video a friend linked me to yesterday.

Superglue and baking soda.

Sprinkle baking soda on the wet glue and it acts as an accelerator (cheaper and less stinky than zip kicker) BUT it also lends strength and body to the glue.

This is not a straight up substitute for zip kicker in very small and fine areas. Used badly this could result it gross, disgusting, and very hard glue blobs marring the surface of your model.

But use it correctly and this can result in a solid, gap filling, workable (e.g. sandable, drillable) strong join. I’m thinking large resin and metal pieces here.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Guys how have I made it this long without knowing this?

Postby MrScotty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

This is a really interesting idea. Is there any residue/coloration left behind from the baking soda in the structure of the model? or does it dry clear?
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
propheadprops
Name: Mike A
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Deathwatch

Postby propheadprops » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm

I do this all the time in propmaking, except I use baby powder. I smells nicer, comes in an easy to dispense form, and is easy to mix.

I mix up superglue with the baby powder with a toothpick on a clean surface and spread it onto a model as a gap filler. It dries white and can be sanded after ten minutes or so. It's superior to things like Bondo spot putty because that stuff is full of VOCs and smells bad, but also dries much quicker.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:32 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm
This is a really interesting idea. Is there any residue/coloration left behind from the baking soda in the structure of the model? or does it dry clear?
So it does not dry clear.

I have repaired a few stubbornly breakable models so far (think the Sanguinor’s wings) with very small amounts of it, and mounted my Inceptors on their flight stems. The former worked out a little better than the latter, I’m still getting the hang of it.

By using a hobby knife to get just a small pinch of the soda I’m able to apply it to pretty small drops of glue with reasonable control.

I can’t remember if I mentioned this in my OP but I also tried it out repairing a closet door where the screw holes for the hinge had stripped out. That worked well too.