Incredibly easy paint chip effect tutorial

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Incredibly easy paint chip effect tutorial

Postby MrScotty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:40 pm

I have to make a post for this because I am straight up flabbergasted by how easy this was to do, and how well it turned out.

One of my biggest issues has been making large, flat areas on vehicles or buildings look good, and this is a technique for getting kind of a peeled, worn paint effect, and I came across this tutorial on the internet.

What you need:

-Two colors of primer. one, the base tone of your miniature (i used GW Averaland Sunset spray), the other a base tone for your rust (I used army painter Red Chaos)

-Table salt. Any kind works.

-An old toothbrush.

-Absolutely zero painting skills whatsoever.

I want to re-stress this. You can do this. You can do this if you're on a moving vehicle and your hands are shaking like leaves. This is easy and the results are an AWESOME start to painting a miniature.

Step 1: Prime the miniature (or whatever part you want to base color, here, I've only done the flat panels because I primed the piping and stuff silver) your rust tone.
IMG_20180408_161349914_HDR.jpg
Step 2: Get some Salt, get some water, and get a big plate to catch falling salt. Or if you're like me, just wait until your wife isnt home and you're going to vacuum anyway. Start liberally applying puddles of water right on your miniature with a big brush, then sprinkling those with salt. What you want is not fully dissolved salt patches on your miniature in clumps. Go all in with this - this technique looks really good when it's an all-over effect.

Step 3: Prime your base color right over your rust and your salt. This is what you're going to be left with. Let this dry completely, maybe 30m.
IMG_20180408_161356698.jpg
Step 4: Take your trusty ol' paint strippin' toothbrush and go to town on the miniature. Get really rough with it, take out all your frustrations. Over a sink preferably. Your salt will come off, revealing this nice chipped paint effect.
IMG_20180408_162157880.jpg
IMG_20180408_162501419_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180408_165528859.jpg
Step 5: If you find after that dries up that there's some salty residue on your miniature, just rinse it with water to get that off. That's not going to be good for layers of paint going over the mini.

But that's it. Really, this technique minus drying time takes like...ten minutes. I could do a 2000 point space marine army up with this in probably two hours. And now our new sector mechanicus terrain is half primed, so I can get to work on finishing several of these pieces later tonight!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Re: Incredibly easy paint chip effect tutorial

Postby Terminator_X » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Looks killer Scott! We're lucky to have you
propheadprops
Name: Mike A
Armies: Deathwatch

Postby propheadprops » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Nice, Scott!

A related effect is to use toothpaste or mustard. Same sequence - base coat, add the tasty paste, paint again, remove with toothbrush after it dries. It does take longer to dry than the salt method but if you want more precise paint chipping it works really nicely. You can apply the tasty, tasty, condiment with a brush if you like.

I used this for a Han Solo blaster a while back:
14695563_10154049131195687_4606815783037662323_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:24 pm

propheadprops wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm
Nice, Scott!

A related effect is to use toothpaste or mustard. Same sequence - base coat, add the tasty paste, paint again, remove with toothbrush after it dries. It does take longer to dry than the salt method but if you want more precise paint chipping it works really nicely. You can apply the tasty, tasty, condiment with a brush if you like.

I used this for a Han Solo blaster a while back:
:shock:

They're really taking truescale to the next level!
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

I have read, but not yet tested, that hairspray and sand can also be used for a similar effect. The hairspray works as a spray adhesive to hold the sand in place until you’re ready to brush it (and your base color) off.

I’m also made to understand that these techniques work not just for rust or chipped base color, but for example, for stenciled insignia you want to look like they partially rubbed off showing the base color underneath.

EDIT: not that I’ve seen a can of hair spray since 1989.
EDIT AGAIN: or my hair. :o
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Anacrucis wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm
I have read, but not yet tested, that hairspray and sand can also be used for a similar effect. The hairspray works as a spray adhesive to hold the sand in place until you’re ready to brush it (and your base color) off.

I’m also made to understand that these techniques work not just for rust or chipped base color, but for example, for stenciled insignia you want to look like they partially rubbed off showing the base color underneath.

So which came first, the chic can or the egg?
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Anacrucis

Postby Anacrucis » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Badum-CHA :lol:
propheadprops
Name: Mike A
Armies: Deathwatch

Postby propheadprops » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am

Anacrucis wrote:

I didn't know about this one, cool!
Anacrucis

Postby Anacrucis » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 pm

propheadprops wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am
Anacrucis wrote:

One of the many life changing secrets held within Imperial Armour Model Masterclass Vol 1. Best 25 quid I ever spent. (Actually there’s not a whole lot in there that you wouldn’t find on YouTube or model forums, but it’s still a rad book)
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Armies: Imperial Guard

Postby Terminator_X » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Anacrucis wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 pm
propheadprops wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am
Anacrucis wrote:

One of the many life changing secrets held within Imperial Armour Model Masterclass Vol 1. Best 25 quid I ever spent. (Actually there’s not a whole lot in there that you wouldn’t find on YouTube or model forums, but it’s still a rad book)
Hey bro think you could bring it along next time you come by the club? I really want to see it since you were talking it up