Isolation Fabrication

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Telmus
Name: Alex P
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space Marines and Orks (40k)

Isolation Fabrication

Postby Telmus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:23 pm

I wanted a snazzy name that rhymed, and after several minutes, this is the best I came up with.

Since games are basically off, and most people are spending more time at home, some of us have likely had a little more hobby time. Here's a great place to post what you've been doing!

Personally, I've been putting some work into my ork army. For some reason, people seem more interested in playing against orks than space marines.

I finally got around to painting 90 boyz. It took shockingly little time. Contrast paints work wonders. Previously I had a horde of gray plastic and a hodgepodge of bad paintjob second hand ebay boyz. While I was at it, I rebased them on the new standard 32mm bases. I actually started on the 28th of February and finished putting varnish on the 90th boy on 13 March. Each boy isn't amazing looking, but they sure do look good in a group. Also, they were ridiculously easy to paint.

I started by priming them black, then hitting with white primer from a high angle to add a bit more shading than contrast paint does on its own. Other than that, I just slathered contrast paint all over them, smeared Elmer's Glue on their base and put some play sand on the base. A coat of gloss and then matte varnish to seal them.

I put them in my display case around my Loyal 32 since I won't be playing them for a bit. The Emperor isn't protecting today.

Alright, I showed you mine, show me yours!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: Sons of Horus

Re: Isolation Fabrication

Postby Darth Hoodie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:17 am

Those guys look great man! Glad to see some progress on your mob!

I’ve personally started up a terrain project. Have a new idea for a “table” at the club. It’s in its sourcing stages at the moment but I’m hoping to unveil it in the next month or so.
"Kill for the living, Kill for the dad! Lupercal!!! Lupercal!!!"
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:40 am

Contrast paints are for sure a beautiful thing. I've been using them on my deepkin models - what I like about them is it lets you create a model that's both bright and has colors that pop and is also quick and easy. And it's also pretty simple to do a quick bright layer color on the highlight areas to make contrast paints look very smooth and nice, and achieve similar quality to the usual base coat-wash-highlight technique.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Telmus

Postby Telmus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 pm

I forgot to mention, show you works in progress!

It's nice to get some feedback, especially of the positive variety. I'm wrapping up some scratch-built Mek Gunz for my orks that I made from smashing together a mek gunz kit with a trukk plus a few space marine bits. I'll get some pictures up this weekend I think.

Edit: I forgot to mention why. I don't like all my ork vehicles looking the same. They are supposed to look like scrap that was cobbled together.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm

Telmus wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:03 pm

It's nice to get some feedback, especially of the positive variety. I'm wrapping up some scratch-built Mek Gunz for my orks that I made from smashing together a mek gunz kit with a trukk plus a few space marine bits. I'll get some pictures up this weekend I think.

Edit: I forgot to mention why. I don't like all my ork vehicles looking the same. They are supposed to look like scrap that was cobbled together.
If you want, we are actually doing a painting league through discord. feel free to post pictures there and show off all the pretty models!
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Telmus

Postby Telmus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Connman234 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 pm
Telmus wrote:

If you want, we are actually doing a painting league through discord. feel free to post pictures there and show off all the pretty models!
Oh cool, can you send me the info or post it for anyone that wants it?
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Already posted and made a thread. We are doing something a little different and using discord for it.

https://www.grimdarkgaming.com/viewtopi ... =10&t=1649
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:36 am

Telmus wrote:

The Battlewagon kit is pure gold for kitbashing mek gunz. You can completely build yourself a competitive battlewagon (i.e. empty, with just a deffrolla) and EASILY have the bits to kitbash 5 mek gunz.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!