Custodes Army Gauntlet Challenge

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Custodes Army Gauntlet Challenge

Postby Connman234 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 pm

As some people may know, I recently challenged myself with a build/paint gauntlet. 5 Days to paint 43 custodes. Well guys, I just finished the gauntlet. Granted, not picture perfect, but definitely presentable on the table.

Here is everything that I wanted to build/paint. The only things not shown are 5 custodian guard NOS and spray painted ,and a custodian Vexilla with Storm Shield that was already built.
Everything.jpg
Day 1) I already picked up some models from my large order on Thursday, but the rest of them came in on Friday. Needed to do a quick excursion to grab them. Overall, half of the models were built. The terminators were easy to build, but one thing I learned working on them was that the hip guards on all the custodes are horribly designed and were a pain to put on.
Guys Built
Trajann Valoris
15 Custodian Guard (6 with Storm shields and Guardian Swords, rest have guardian spears)
3 Allarus Terminators with Axes
Day 1.jpg
Day 2) The other half of the models were built. Now I like building more than painting, but for some reason I hated building the Wardens (Custodian Guard but with axes). Granted, I was basically building it so I was doing the exact same step 3 times, but it was such a slog. Once that was done, Retributor Armour in a spray can was my friend on Saturday.
Guys Built
5 Allarus Terminators with Axes
1 Vexilla in Allarus Terminator Armour
14 Wardens with Axes
1 Shield Captain with Axe
3 Vertus Praetors with Salvo Launchers
Guys Primed
Everyone
Day 2.jpg
Day 3) Here is what many people saw me doing on Sunday. So many robes and hair tassels! After the painting those, I sat there and put astrogranite on all the bases.
Guys Painted
Everyone
Day 3.jpg
Day 4) I washed everyone in Reikarth Fleshshade Gloss and really like the look on how they came out. Then came what I thought was going to be the biggest slog of the whole project. The weapon blades.
What I had to do for each blade was based on Duncan's guide on painting custodes. Note, this is on two sides of each blade.
Step 1) Kantor Blue base
Step 2) Sotek Green on the flat parts of the blade, but avoid where the blades dip down.
Step 3) Temple Guard Blue edge highlight the edges and bring a little bit on to the curvature of the blade
Step 4) Drakenhoff Nightshade the whole thing
Step 5) Temple Guard Blue edge highlight again where I just did the edge highlights
Step 6) Make patterns on the weapons using Temple Guard Blue and a detail brush that was just labled "Insane Detail"
Step 7) Guilliman Blue Glaze the whole thing
Guys Painted
Everyone
Which Step I ended for the night
Step 2
Day 4.jpg
Day 5) I finished everything in terms of the weapons, dry-brushed the bases using longbeard dry, and glued them onto the bases. With this, the project is complete. 3180 points in total was painted, and I am pleased with the fact that I was able to do it. My personal favorite parts of the complete models are the weapons. They are all interesting and definitely worth the effort.
Day 5 (1).jpg
Day 5 (2).jpg
Day 5 (3).jpg

Overall, there are worse ways to spend a 5 day weekend, but I am very happy that I had the determination to do it and succeeded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Re: Custodes Army Gauntlet Challenge

Postby Terminator_X » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Spence you're a madman lol
The Titanz0r
Name: Swerd
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard, Black Templars

Re: Custodes Army Gauntlet Challenge

Postby The Titanz0r » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:52 am

Madman.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.