Draaen's Hobby Blog

The place to go for paint pledges or hobby discussion.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines

Re: Draaen's Hobby Blog

Postby Draaen » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:43 am

So this is my newest squad of Fire Warriors completed and a fireblade.

Full Squad

The Fireblade has the two white shoulder pads in the middle. The more senior the model typically the more white on it so it works with the colour scheme and really makes the model jump out on the battlefield. I've also had to reconsider how to differentiate these guys so it is obvious to my opponent if I ever do field all 48 in a gunline.

The solution I came up with was to assign each squad of 12 a colour. This squad is grey and the top plate on their large left shoulder pads is grey and the top plate on the right shoulder pad is grey. I further break the squad down into the 1st and 2nd squad where the first squad has white on the right (when looking at it) of the large pad and the 2nd squad has no white on the right. The Shas'Ui has the bonding knife and a white mark on his left side. The provisional officer of the 2nd squad has white on his left side of the shoulder pad. As so.

Squad Markings

This way I can run them as full 12 man squads or smaller 6 man squads with cohesion and differentiation. It also adds a kind of cool flavour for me as you would expect the chain of command within a squad to include a senior Shas'La who would be the leader in case of the Shas'Ui dying or if the squad would need to split up for tactical reasons.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:31 pm

So with the snow day from work and my secret santa done I finally got a good chunk of time to sit down and finish my 3rd fire warrior squad and my second cadre fireblade. I went with a brighter blue so that it would contrast well with the rest of the group and make them easier to distinguish.

Blue Squad

So that is a total of 36 fire warriors ready to go. My 4th and final squad requires quite a bit of stripping and prep work. So I'm probably jumping on another project while I go through and clean them up. I got a good amount of money for christmas so I'm thinking of getting a storm surge and getting some 3D Printed arms so it looks like a cool mech and not a wierd armless chicken walker.

Stormsurge Conversion

ImageImage

Since I've been doing batch painting and I figured it was a good enough topic to write about. So when I batch paint I like to try to paint a full squad. That way when I am done I have a whole squad ready for the tabletop and can move on to the next project. Unless I am feeling very unmotivated to paint but want the finished product. Then I do two so I can get the reward of quick progress so that eventually I am more eager to take on a larger squad.

Since I never really finish everything in one session I leave my dudes out I start my dudes off in one big pile. When I complete that step I move the completed dude over. In this way they move between my two piles and I always know who needs to be processed even if I left them alone for a week. I also like to leave a completed example model out that I can refer back to. If it is the first time I am painting that type of unit I won't start batch painting until I have an example I am happy with.

Batch Piles

All my guys start on the left.

Then they move to the right when the wash is applied to the grey.

I try to limit what I update to a specific colour and sometimes limit it down to a specific section. I'll start doing larger colours first like the armor in this case so I can just use a large brush. Since I'll be painting over the details later I don't have to worry about being neat. Then as I move along I get progressively neater. I usually do a basecoat, a wash and then some highlighting on any given colour so for my first pass I'll paint the base coat the second pass the wash and the 3rd and subsequent passes any highlighting. I try to do one colour and then move onto the next colour. If I do find I missed something I should have done before I stop and fix it because I'll never remember to do it otherwise.

This method helps me keep all my models consistent, helps prevent forgotten bits and speeds up the process.
Game Preferences:
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:57 pm

So here was my secret santa project. It was a Captain Lysander model converted to have all the appropriate Black Templars paraphernalia. It was difficult to paint the model with all that black armor and then the bling on the chest using straight black templars colours. Ultimately I am happy with the model but i think I would experiment more on the black armour to give it more depth. I was worried about putting too much paint on the secret santa as my experiments usually leave me with two hideously painted dudes so I went with my old black chaos warrior standby and I think it looks nice on the tabletop. Especially from behind with the arm holding the hammer. I think the freehand templars symbol on the shoulder and the gold line on the cape came out really well.

I never understood the space marine bing thing. I mean just look at the official lysander model paint job. He even has his name on a banner. Try walking around for a day with a banner with your name above your head for a while and see how many friends you make. So in light of all that I wrote CULUS on his shield. Literally it translates to anus from latin to english but google translate has assured me it me A-hole as well.

Captain Smashy

So for my other thought. Friends don't let friends buy finecast. It was my first finecast purchase and there is just no comparison to plastic or the old pewter models. The surface finish was terrible. Really strongly disliked working with it and am going to avoid finecast in the future. Do they always come out with a noticeable texture on the flat parts? When I tried to clean it up with an exacto knife I thought I made it worse. I also had to pin him to the base because he didn't have his feet lay flat. I ultimately pinned the entire thing as I had little faith in how sturdy the thing would be.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:57 pm

So just a quick project update. The ghostkeel is coming along really nice. I am at a bit of a point where I've burned out on it though as I need to pick up a couple more blues in order to get the highlights looking nice and not having to mix them. Still I like what has been done and I think he's showing some real signs of promise of being one of the nicer models I've ever painted. I'll probably wait until I get the colours to see how the highlighting effect changes the overall look. I want to make sure it looks nice up close and far away. It's been fun doing the stealth colour scheme I haven't painted it in ages and it shows. It is one of the most immature colour schemes I have ever done but I think it still looks pretty slick. I'd just see that colour scheme working on a saturday morning cartoon though.

Ghostkeel and Stealth Drones

ImageImage

So I got a little burnt out after a while with the ghost keel so I decided to jump into making some units I've been using or planning to finish painting tabletop ready. I've got my stealth suits looking all right, converted up a kroot shadowsun with accompanying drones and I've got my next squad of 12 fire warriors and fire blade roughed out. The tron style armour won't be sticking around. But I wanted to see how it would look. Chock it up to another failed experiment.

Tabletop Ready

ImageImage

I've also decided to start a tradition. Each year or 1/2 a year I will take a picture of my full army. Both fully finished and tabletop ready. Then the next year I can take a picture and see its progression. These are the pictures I took earlier. Makes me feel like I need to get to work and keep working through my queue! The infantry seem to be a lot quicker to paint than the big stuff so I have a feeling when I start knuckling down on the pathfinders and drones I'll see a lot of progress pretty quick.

Table Top Ready Units

ImageImageImage

Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm

More progress on the ghostkeel. I've been distracted by the Olympics and have been waiting to pick up the rigth blue for highlighting but I have really made a lot of quick progress getting other models tabletop ready.
In total I've done a quick down and dirty paint job on 14 Drones, 12 Fire warriors, Support Turret, 7 Stealth Suits, Shadowsun conversion with support drones, 9 Cyclic Ion Blasters and one cadre fire blade. Plus I've magnetized myself 6 more drone bases. So a good amount of side stuff which I kind of needed for a bit of a mental break on this guy. It actually makes it so that everything I bring with my TAC list is tabletop ready.

I've highlighted the ghostkeels blue and I've been quite happy with it. I am going to try to add another light highlight at the sharp edges. I'll have to play with it a bit to make sure it looks nice and not as harsh as what I've done in the past. I'm coming to the end of the project as I only have some of the highlighting to do on the drones and secondary weapons and finish the metal highlighting on the center torso. Then it's touchups and finally it gets to be christened. I've always liked how ships were named and the bomber girl on the nose of a B-52 seemed cool to me so I've put a little logo on anything larger then a piranha and named it using something from greek mythology. I like the idea of having my storm surge conversion I plan on making to be called Atlas so I figure the suits will take the names of the Titans. I'll have to do a bit of research to find a cool sneaky or clever type titan with a cool sounding name and see if it has any symbols associated with it that I can base the symbol with.

Ghostkeel with Initial Blue Highlight

For those curious on what I have named already
Scylla - Hammerhead - Gorgon painted on the side - Was a sea monster with seven heads that would eat sailors from the odyssey. To sail between Scylla and charybdis is a saying meaning to be faced with a difficult choice/path.
Ketos - HAmmerhead - Sea Serpent painted on the side - Generic Sea Monster. I chose this over Charybdis initially as Ketos is Sotek the lizardmen god backwards. My brother played lizardmen and I thought it was too cool to pass up
Hades - Devilfish - Black Spartan style helm painted on the side
Ares - Devilfish - Mars symbol painted on the side

Items I have purchased or plan to purchase
Charybdis - Devilfish/Hammerhead - Whirlpool painted on the side or a wave - Charybdis is a whirlpool. So you either lost 7 sailors or had your ship sunk. Unless your Odysseus and want to see both so you put your crew in a lose/lose scenario. Odysseus is a jerk FYI.
Hera - Devilfish/Hammerhead - Peacock Feather painted on the side - My cat is named Hera and she broke the tank. It seemed fitting to name it that and peacocks are a symbol of hers.
Atlas - Stormsurge conversion - Not sure what symbol I will paint on him. Holding up the earth seems silly for Tau and he had lost at that point. So I'll have to do some research into what he represented was before the fall of the Titans.

I saw this as I clicked on the thread to reply and update so i figured a little over a month in I should look at how I am doing towards some of my goals. I am not really focusing on Team Canada as I seem to get a lot of motivation to paint the army I'm currently playing. I'll switch back to white scars eventually and then I'll focus on them. I'm pretty happy with the progress towards the goals so far.

Tau Goals
48 Fire Warriors including models currently finished fully completed
  • 12 were already done
  • 24 Finished painted and needs to be based
  • 12 Table Top Ready
Deathrains finished
  • Magnetized Deathrains
Super Heavy Gun Drones Finished
  • No movement - need to fix wing magnetization issue
2 Piranhas painted
  • Piranhas are prepped for painting
2nd Stealth Suit Squad painted
  • Tabletop Ready
10 Pathfinders fully painted
  • 5 were tabletop ready
  • 15 Built primed and ready for painting
Game Preferences:
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Postby Terminator_X » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:48 am

Nice work on the edge highlights! I bet it took forever
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 am

Terminator_X wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:48 am
Nice work on the edge highlights! I bet it took forever
Thanks. Yeah it took a me a couple afternoons but I actually find highlighting to be one of the more enjoyable parts. This model had a lot of details.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:14 am

So shockingly for the first time in what feels like forever i actually have finished paint jobs to post. I seem to have been starting projects and getting them 75% done then stopping. Pretty happy to finally have my vanguard vets fully painted. The beige wave was pretty annoying. Also excitingly I have a new model for Kor'sarro Khan so I can get rid of my jet bike Tau. Thanks a lot for the model Scotty! I'm just pretty happy to have them at this point so I'll get to the pictures

Gordie Howe

AKA Kor'sarro Khan

I'm not a fan of the words on models and dangly bits that will inevitably break off so I used green stuff to cover that up to make him look more uniform with the army.

So I've been more brave and done some freehand on the canadian flag. I am really happy with how that side came out. The other is not as nicely proportioned but it's a big improvement for me on a pretty recognizable shape where I had to be accurate. I was a little nervous about it tbh. Also the rest of the models. The dudes without arms have magnets and give me some flexibility.

The Rest of the Batch

Flag before varnishing with a better angle because I really liked how that came out. I have to get some massive magnets to hold this baby into an arm socket. Otherwise transporting it is a pain. Hopefully it works or I'll have to figure out how to transport it. I think I'll probably just use it as a power sword veteran. It'll look kind of awesome on the table I think.

Jet packs with names and numbers are next on the docket. After that I still need proper bases, regular backpacks with names and numbers and shoulderpads for some of my earlier dudes who didn't get them as I was worried about decal application.
Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:43 pm

So I'm pretty excited I'm at a couple interesting points in my projects. I stopped working on my jump packs to build my storm surge and getting it table top ready for the knight event. The 3d printed arms took a lot of time to clean them up and work on. The storm surge looked decent on the table thought so I was quite happy with it. I'm stuck until I get another bottle of nuln oil however.

Most importantly I have gotten my jet packs so that they are sealed and have their appropriate names and numbers. I decided to do a mega batch because I figured the whole thing was going to be such a PITA that when I was done I probably wouldn't jump back onto the jump packs for a while. The jet packs are getting an additional night of curing but at this point the army has mostly odds and ends to be considered properly finished. I have to make some bases, shoulder pads and backpacks for the bikes and intercessors. Those shouldn't take a ton of time.

Jet Packs

The whole crop. 34 in total. Comically Canada has such an embarrassment of riches when it comes to players and the likes of Steve Yzerman were not included in the first round.

Pretty happy with the legibility of the names and numbers. The names get smaller like with mahovlich so that they can fit on regular backpacks and maintain the same dimensions. Hockey jerseys can get kind of awkward with long names like Nyuegent-Hopkins. Looking forward to seeing how they look fully amassed on the table.

So I ordered magnets from a different vendor and they were lower quality which made some of the magnetization of this guy interesting. However like anyone who has glued on a crisis suit weapon I magnetized everything so this guy is future proof. I got the part drawings from a forum member and my cousin printed the parts for me. He's newer to the 3d-printing business though and certain parts were pretty rough and melted. I had to put in a lot of elbow grease to sand the parts smooth enough. Ultimately the surface finish mostly came out pretty good.

The storm surge is now just a WIP and will change quite a bit. Part of the way I tackle larger new models is I get it pretty much to this stage and then start changing colours if I find I have too much say teal in one area to make sure there is enough contrast so it doesn't look like a blob. I just need to clean up the metal and add on a nuln oil wash over the grey and steel. He also desperately needs some touch ups. After the nuln oil to shade the recesses I will start adding in my tertiary colours like a more purpley/blue grey, bright green and white. Those colours I try to use sparingly so that when I do use them they pop more. I also like to use those colours more on characters so that they pop when compared to the rest of the army while still looking coherent.

Stormsurge WIP

He's all ready to go for his big day!

Pre priming. Certain parts were so poor or not in doubles that I had to get a bit creative to make this work. It was fun doing all the grey stuff work though. Posing was really difficult because I got this guy 2nd hand. The original pose had the storm surge shooting into the sky. So I kind of tried to make it look as though he were rotating to bring his main gun to bear on it's intended target. I wouldn't pose it that way had I built it from scratch but I think it came out pretty good

Game Preferences:
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:00 pm

So I've been thinking about another army to start for a while and with looking at the costs I've decided to dig through my old Fantasy models and daemon models. I took some pictures of these old guys and figured I'd just share them because some are very old and people may not have seen them. Some are justa little out there too like Mr. Happy. I was just about to play a practice match to get a feel for the daemons in my basement so sorry if the lighting is poor and the pictures not the best. But I took a stroll through memory lane so I figured I would post up some pictures.

I also was hoping to get a bit of feedback as well. I certainly don't intend to take these guys to tournaments or anything but would people find it confusing or frustrating to play against an army that has old metal cold ones as beasts of nurgle, Mr. Happy and the skaven cold one knights as fiends or juggernaughts so long as they were appropriately based.
Daemons

Very happpy that this guy is going to get to see the tabletop again. Really had fun painting and converting him

[iImage

I would like to point out Alicia painted these ones with a uhh interesting colour... I call them the screaming Vs

Those nurglings need a rework. But I actually prefer that style to the giant pile of nurglings with the newer model.

My pride and joy flesh hounds. I won these guys in the summer of chaos and apparently they were old at the time GW hounds that I painted with fiery colours. I've never seen anyone else with them. I think they were a mordheim model maybe. Comically I did win some flayed kin in the summer of chaos but uhh they were conversions made by the store owner and somewhat lacking in quality. Still not looking a gift horse in the mouth just uh yeah one group saw play on the tabletop the other not so much lol.

My nurgle vulture Daemon prince. I used to buy 3rd party heroes a lot cause I could get a more nurgley feel and no one else had it.

Old Metal Cold ones. I intend to rebase them and use them as beasts of nurgle

Mr. Happy! Inititally just the caterpillar which I painted at camp as a great unclean one. for some reason people thought I looked like the hulk so people gave me a bunch of hulk action figures... Don't ask me I still don't get it. Well the arms broke fit the dude perfectly and I never really looked back... Except for the back mounted cannon so he could also act as a hell cannon.

Not a Daemon prince but I intend to find something for him. It is a giant kroot from a larger scale game set in 40k.

Another Daemon Prince 3rd Party Model. Old snake swarm on the base for the cool factor. No idea why I chose snakes other then they were available lol

I actually think this is Alicias best painted model

As I looke through these I realize I was a crazy man in my youth. When I switched from too poor to buy all the cool stuff to having money I started kit bashing a ton. These guys were supposed to be skaven dogs of war knights. Well that dream is out but I think they could be rebased and make good juggernaughts or fiends if they get the right paint job.

More Daemons

I actually think this is Alicias best painted model

As I looke through these I realize I was a crazy man in my youth. When I switched from too poor to buy all the cool stuff to having money I started kit bashing a ton. These guys were supposed to be skaven dogs of war knights. Well that dream is out but I think they could be rebased and make good juggernaughts or fiends if they get the right paint job.

Just Older Models

The old Gang back together again. Some made it through time better then others.

The oldest heroes. Not sure if the chaos lords horse is archaons old horse or not. I know I had the older older archaon at one point and an older mounted lord. Also man I never could paint Aekold Hellbrass

Oldschool Terradon. a hand me down from my brother

Old school chaos dwarf that was the Lamasu rider. My brother has the lamasu. Maybe I should put him on the juggernaught...

Sometimes in a grab bag you win wicked awesome prizes. Sometimes you win 6 baby elephants

A 3rd party beholder I used as a spawn of nurgle. This guy saw a lot of play

Game Preferences: