GSC Take 3 [2000pts]

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

GSC Take 3 [2000pts]

Postby MrScotty » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:25 pm

List

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [60 PL, 1046pts]

HQ

Acolyte Iconward [3 PL, 53pts]

Magus [4 PL, 73pts]

Troops

Acolyte Hybrids [5 PL, 75pts]
2x Acolyte Hybrid
Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon)
Autopistol, Demolition Charges
Autopistol, Demolition Charges
Acolyte Leader
Autopistol, Cultist Knife

Neophyte Hybrids [5 PL, 78pts]
7x Neophyte Hybrid
Neophyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon)
Mining Laser
Mining Laser
Neophyte Leader
Autogun, Autopistol

Neophyte Hybrids [5 PL, 78pts]
7x Neophyte Hybrid
Mining Laser
Mining Laser
Neophyte Leader
Autogun, Autopistol

Heavy Support

Cult Leman Russ [11 PL, 174pts]
Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Cult Leman Russ [11 PL, 174pts]
Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Goliath Rockgrinder [6 PL, 127pts]
Heavy Mining Laser, Heavy Stubber
Dedicated Transport

Goliath Truck [5 PL, 107pts]
Heavy Stubber, Twin Autocannon

Goliath Truck [5 PL, 107pts]
Heavy Stubber, Twin Autocannon

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [68 PL, 954pts]

HQ

Patriarch [7 PL, 150pts]

Primus [4 PL, 76pts]
Bonesword

Troops

Acolyte Hybrids [20 PL, 346pts]
Cult Icon
15x Acolyte Hybrid
Autopistol, Heavy Rock Drill
Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
Acolyte Leader
Bonesword

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 62pts]
9x Neophyte Hybrid (Shotgun)
Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon)
Flamer
Neophyte Leader
Autopistol, Chainsword

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 62pts]
9x Neophyte Hybrid (Shotgun)
Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon)
Flamer
Neophyte Leader
Cultist Knife
Elites

Purestrain Genestealers [12 PL, 165pts]
11x Purestrain Genestealer

Dedicated Transport

Cult Chimera [5 PL, 93pts]
Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser

Take 3 of trying to make GSC happen in 8th!

The major list changes are:

1) brigade swapped to two battalions. I then get to drop the mostly dead weight fast attack and Elite units that aren't Purestrains.

2) added two Goliath trucks to give a neophyte firebase, greatly refined unit roles. Whereas before my Neophyte infantry had a weird mix of anti infantry and anti tank, I now have almost all anti tank shooting. The Laser neophyte squads will just park in the Goliaths and shoot cheap anti tank fire downfield to pop enemy transports and distract from the friendly assault transports.

3) reduced special gear greatly. GSC just can't be played with tons of extraneous upgrades because frankly so much of it is over costed crap. Our guard equivalent sergeants still pay 15p for a power maul. We have a 18-point heavy cannon that puts out four Lasgun shots. If it's not a very simple, focused upgrade for a useful squad, I cut it.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Re: GSC Take 3 [2000pts]

Postby Sandtiger » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:55 am

I like this, looks scary
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 am

Seems lean and mean. You can reduce the number of drops for a better shot at first turn, you can hide your dudes in tanks or reserve to help you live through an opponents alpha strike. Seems like a good TAC list with a nice balance between melee, mid range and long range. The lack of resiliency on all your bodies and trucks is the only thing that gives me pause for concern. What else are you going to do with pure GSC though? I see what you mean about your squad prices that 15 man acolyte hybrid squad is super expensive!
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:43 am

Draaen wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 am
Seems lean and mean. You can reduce the number of drops for a better shot at first turn, you can hide your dudes in tanks or reserve to help you live through an opponents alpha strike. Seems like a good TAC list with a nice balance between melee, mid range and long range. The lack of resiliency on all your bodies and trucks is the only thing that gives me pause for concern. What else are you going to do with pure GSC though? I see what you mean about your squad prices that 15 man acolyte hybrid squad is super expensive!
20 man, and tbf it does feature 4 things that are essentially chainfists. Not too bad, but it is a big risk because 4/6 of the results of the Cult Ambush table will not get me better than a 9" charge. I'm considering breaking them up to 2 10's, and running my Iconward as a second Primus for that reason (The Primus' reason for existence is basically he grants a reroll to Cult Ambush for one unit. CA allows you to select a unit and a character and reserve them as one drop, and then they both share a roll on the table and deploy together. After that, he's just basically got the Marine Captain ability for melee only and guard stats with a power sword.)

The only trade off is I'd have to drop the Cult Icon from the unit, which gives me WS2+. But if I don't get in combat (and so far, I definitely haven't) I don't get to use that anyway.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:28 am

I haven’t done much analysis on GSC in 8th but it seems like the loss of the Fade into Shadow or whatever the rule was called seriously hamstrings Cult Ambush. Being able to redeploy after a bad CA roll or a job was finished seemed really good to me.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:59 am

Anacrucis wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:28 am
I haven’t done much analysis on GSC in 8th but it seems like the loss of the Fade into Shadow or whatever the rule was called seriously hamstrings Cult Ambush. Being able to redeploy after a bad CA roll or a job was finished seemed really good to me.
That's part of it. Also, their hyper-powerful omgwtfbbq competitive build hinged on a formation, which gave them really reliable 6 results on the cult ambush table. So just like Tau Admech and Necrons, they nerfed the units that were in the crazy formation and got rid of the formation at the same time.

I can't help feeling like with the index pass they wanted to make really really sure everything that saw a tournament in 7th got whacked in 8th so they could win over the "Complains that the game is ruined because scatter bikes and riptides and warp spiders" crowd. Then with the codexes they plan to just quietly go through and make them all decent again like they did with Scatter Laser bikes and Spiders recently.

At least that's my hope. Because 60 odd points for a single T4 no save body with two thunder hammer attacks is too bad even for me to stomach fielding, and that's what Aberrants are currently. That's more than a thunder hammer Terminator and he gets a 2+ armor save...
Game Preferences: