Lamenters in 8th

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Lamenters in 8th

Postby spruter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:36 pm

So I decided to break out my Lamenters once again. I originally passed them up because Blood Angels in 8th without special characters isn't very good right now, but looking at Malakim Phoros's ability to have all Dreadnoughts infantry and Bikes to reroll all wounds could make for a mean tactic. There seem to be 3 ways I want to go with this, but I don't have the time and income to build my army for all three.

1) Stick him with a Captain, a bunch of dev squads and scouts, and delete units from afar while the rest of my army acts as a buffer / objective control. (would need to purchase Heavy Weapons)

2) Walk him with an army of dreadnoughts (would need to purchase more dreadnoughts)

3) Go full blitzkreig Roll him up in my land raider with Death Company, and a Chaplain. Razorbacks with a tac squad and flamers act as the buffer. (would need to Purchase Razorbacks).

What are your thoughts about either of these strategies?
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Re: Lamenters in 8th

Postby Memento » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Of the three, the third option sounds most like "Blood Angels Successor Chapter"
spruter

Postby spruter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Memento wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm
Of the three, the third option sounds most like "Blood Angels Successor Chapter"
I was thinking that too, the one issue that was holding me back was that it wouldn't be utilizing his reroll wounds nearly as much. It would probably be turn 3 when the land raider dumped it's contents, and the vehicles gain no benefit of the rerolls. Also there's always that part of me deep down that screams "Salamanders can do that better". Whenever I try any list that uses Tactical Squads as it's spearhead.

This is also what's holding me back from getting Baal Predators... Do you think I should build my list around my 205 point commander or am I needlessly holding myself back by trying to maximize one gimmick?
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm

At the end of the day, i feel you should try to do what you think is fun. Says the guy that runs hordes of berzerkers and thinks "TAAC" equates to basically more berzerkers.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

AngelusSperi
Name: Jon
Armies: Marines (Blood Angels/Salamanders)

Postby AngelusSperi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 pm

He certainly could make for an interesting Death Star/Assault buff bubble alongside a chaplain (and maybe a Sang Priest). Chaplains give out the best melee buff, but the overlap with the Captain's re-roll all 1's is a bummer. Que a badass chapter master who instead give re-rolls of 1's to WOUND. Priest also makes him S8 in melee and he has more attacks than a normal captain.

It's also cool to have a chapter master that can ride in normal transports. With Phoros, you can go with a giant death blob in a Land Raider, or you can run a series of rhinos centered on him and his team so that when you disembark you can string out the left/right flank squads to create a wave of buffed death bringers (+1S, re-roll misses, and re-roll 1's to wound? Daaaaamn).

So yeah, I guess the point is if you like to do classic BA rhino rush Blitzkrieg, then go right ahead! It should work out well (and you should hit melee T2 with move+advance on the rhinos, pop smoke, and then T2 disembark+move+assault).
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 pm

I don't have my index to hand ... are lamenters required to use BA rules?

I mean I guess you would want to if you had all the BA toys. But somewhere I still have an old like 2003 chapter approved compendium with some cursed founding special rules including lamenters and they have nothing to do with BA rules. I'll have to dig that up. Obvs the rules wouldn't apply 5 editions later but sometimes that stuff is interesting to look at as a "starting point"
spruter

Postby spruter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Anacrucis wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 pm

I mean I guess you would want to if you had all the BA toys. But somewhere I still have an old like 2003 chapter approved compendium with some cursed founding special rules including lamenters and they have nothing to do with BA rules. I'll have to dig that up. Obvs the rules wouldn't apply 5 editions later but sometimes that stuff is interesting to look at as a "starting point"
There is no language in the index specifying how to play the Lamenters. So I assume that they use the Blood Angels Rules. However part of me wonders if they'll be in the 8th BA edition codex or if they will be ignored like they were in the 7th edition. Either way I've checkered 6 Death Company Models so I'll play them as BA regardless.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Successor chapters to any given Chapter are "supposed" to use their parent chapter's army rules.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:05 pm

I mean there are chapters like the Blood Ravens and Black Dragons who are of unknown descent and therefore you get to pick your own but known ones that are descended from the Blood Angels like the Lamenters are "supposed" to use the Blood Angels rules.
AngelusSperi
Name: Jon
Armies: Marines (Blood Angels/Salamanders)

Postby AngelusSperi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Anacrucis wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 pm

So back in like 3rd ed they introduced cursed founding rules outside of just LotD. Those Lamentors did not use BA rules but rather vanilla marines as the base cuz in fluff they were free from the Red Thirst and Black Rage (but at what cost!!!). However they were forgotten about for a few editions and when FW made Phoros he ran off of BA, so since then they've been treated as a normal BA successor.