Ynnari - ain't nobody got time for less than -3 AP

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Ynnari - ain't nobody got time for less than -3 AP

Postby The cosmic serpent » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:01 am

This list focuses on hitting really hard and utilizing soul bursts on the short ranged units (spears and spectres). Every single unit has at least str 6 with ap -3. The spectres are an interesting unit in that they have exploding hits, 1 successful hit allows another hit roll up to 3 total hits. Sticking these guys near the autarch having bs3 and rerolling 1s should grant some extra hits. They also have an alternate fire mode which will be great for overwatch defense or horde control auto hit d6 str 5 ap -1. The spears secondary weapon on the bikes can provide the same support assault 4 str 4 with bladestorm per biker. The planes like to fly around and snipe stuff. This list has a better bang for your buck look to it when you compare PL and Pts. Most of my 2k pts list for eldar come in under 100 power. Not the case with these, if I want to play using 100PL I have to make model count cuts on the spectres. The spectre phoenix lord is a beast and is a nice shoehorn to round out the points to 100.

110PL/1999Pts-Outrider Detachment, Flyer Wing
Skytarch (mandi, twin shuriken cat, fusion pistol, fusion gun, laser lance 94+10+17+9+9) = 139pts 7PL
Shinning Spears 132 7PL
Shinning Spears 132 7PL
Shinning Spears 132 7PL
5 Shadow Spectres 115pts 10PL
Hemlock Wraithfighter 211 10PL
Hunter Exarch with Starcannons 243 11PL

100PL/1952Pts-Outrider Detachment, Flyer Wing
Skytarch (mandi, twin shuriken cat, fusion pistol, fusion gun, laser lance 94+10+17+9+9) = 139pts 7PL
Shinning Spears 132 7PL
Shinning Spears 132 7PL
Shinning Spears 132 7PL
3 Shadow Spectres 69pts 6PL
3 Shadow Spectres 69pts 6PL
Irillyth Pheonix Lord 160pts PL8
goblin
Name: anthony lawrence
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: tyranids, pantsthieves, sisters+friends

Re: Ynnari - ain't nobody got time for less than -3 AP

Postby goblin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:41 am

I'd definitely caution with a list like this: horde armies are going to be a thing. 100+ orks or guardsmen lists are gonna be solid and outside the spectres (which have to get real close) you don't have anything that does volume damage. A horde army is gonna walk over this list without issue.
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Re: Ynnari - ain't nobody got time for less than -3 AP

Postby The cosmic serpent » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:28 pm

I think another hard counter is something with a lot of invulnerable saves like harlequins. AP doesn't mean anything to them. With the jetbikes there are still 40 shuriken shots (equivalent of 20 dire avengers), the spectres on average will have 45 auto hits. If I get in close against a horde that gives me a second shooting phase when they charge for another ~3 auto hits per model. Hordes will be an uphill battle and harlequins will laugh off most of the AP, so I'll be relying on my middling rate of fire which is the same way I would have to deal with hordes. If a unit can survive a charge they can pull out due to fly keyword, if not it's a soulburst action for another unit.

I can also force the horde player off of objectives by placing a unit near enough to bait them to charge off, freeing up the objective for my flyers to come in and take it, and likely gaining a soulburst out of it. So he will have to decide if objectives or kill points are more important.