Duating off my grey knights

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
SwordSworn
Name: Peter S.
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Everything

Duating off my grey knights

Postby SwordSworn » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:05 pm

So....i forgot i even had a GK force......where do they stand currently?

Also. What is thia bolter discipline i hear about? I am sooo behind in 40k right now, lol!
Light a man a fire and he is warm for a night, Light a man on fire, and he's warm for life
- Captain Cooke, Hellhound tank commander
Wynce
Name: Dan McDonough
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Marines, Tau, Guard

Re: Duating off my grey knights

Postby Wynce » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:37 pm

Ya from what I have seen grey knights are scary now. They have 2 damage smites everywhere. Bolter discipline means if you stand still you can fire your rapid fire bolter weapons at full range. I.E 24" 4 shots storm bolters. Bikes, terminators and dreadnaughts get to do this regardless of if they move or not. So your termies will have 4 shots at 24" always, pretty nasty.
Salamanders and Space Wolves
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:46 pm

They were the worst arny in the game but they just got a huge boost in the latest campaign book.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Grey Knights got a new rule called the Tides of the Warp. Basically, when you start the game, if your army is only grey knights, no allies, you get to pick one of the following four rules that affect your whole army.
stuff

Tide of Fury: While this tide is dominant, INFANTRY units may reroll wound rolls of 1 with Nemesis Weapons.
Tide of Convergence: While this tide is dominant, INFANTRY units in your army equipped with a Psi/Psy weapon, or any ranged weapon affected by the Psybolt Ammunition Stratagem gains +1S and 1D.
Tide of Shadows: While this tide is dominant, all GREY KNIGHTS gain the benefit of being in cover even while it is not entirely on or within a terrain feature. In addition if a unit is entirely on or within a terrain feature then ranged weapons are -1 to hit them.
Tide of Escalation: While this tide is dominant, any unit with the Rites of Banishment ability adds 1 mortal wound to the damage of their smite rolls.

There's a psychic power that lets you switch them. in fact, there's a whole second psychic list that only their characters can take.
rules rules

Warp Shaping: WC 5 . If manifested you can change which "Tide" is currently dominant.

Armoured resilience: WC 6 . If manifested select a GREY KNIGHTS INFANTRY unit within 12" of the psyker, until your next psychic phase that unit has -1 to wound roll against them

Ethereal Manipulation: WC 7 . If manifested select one GREY KNIGHTS unit within 6" of the psyker, until the start of your next psychic phase you can reroll the hit roll against a unit in the shooting phase if they are within half range.

Edict Imperator: WC 7 . If manifested select one GREY KNIGHTS unit within 12" of the psyker, that unit can shoot and then move during the psychic phase. This unit can not advance with this move, and can't charge or shoot again that turn.

Empyrean Domination: WC 7 . If manifested you gain one command point.

Inner Fire: WC 5. If manifested select 1 enemy within 1" of the psyker (practically engaged in melee) and roll dice equal to the psychic test result. For each roll of 1, the psyker suffers a mortal wound, for each roll of 3+, the enemy suffers 1 mortal wound.

And on top of that, they got a bunch of new stratagems.
mo rules

ranshuman Physiology (2 CP): When a GREY KNIGHTS unit that is not a VEHICLE or SERVITOR is chosen as a target for an attack, until the end of the phase, when resolving an attack made against that unit, an unmodified wound roll of 1-3 always fails, irrespective of the abilities the weapon or model may have.

Overwhelming assault (1CP): During Any Phase select one NEMESIS DREADKNIGHT, until the end of that phase add 1 to the attack characteristics of that unit and reroll 1s to wound and damage.

Masters of Combat (2CP): During the Fight Phase when a GREY KNIGHTS PALADIN unit that has not yet been chosen to fight with this phase is then chosen for an attack. Until the end of that phase when a model in that unit is destroyed before that model is removed from play it can attack.

Vengeance of the Machine Spirit (2 CP): During Any Phase if a GREY KNIGHTS LAND RAIDER or STORM RAVEN is destroyed, it can either auto-explode, shoot a ranged weapon or attack in melee one last time. In the latter two cases, it acts as if it was at the top bracket of its damage chart.

Dynamic Insertion (1CP): When a GREY KNIGHTS unit is set up on the battlefield using the Teleport Strike ability. You can set that unit up anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 3" away from any enemy model instead of 9", however this unit can not charge.

Bring down the Beast (2CP): During your Shooting Phase after you shoot at a VEHICLE or MONSTER, all wounds rolled against that target by any GREY KNIGHTS unit can be rerolled until the end of the phase.

Big Guns Never Tire (1 CP): During Any Phase selects a VEHICLE until the end of the phase, that unit does not suffer the penalty for moving and firing heavy weapons.

Fury of the Proven (1 CP): During Any Phase select a GREY KNIGHTS TERMINATOR unit, add +1 to hit rolls for that phase.

Powerful Adept (1CP): During your Psychic Phase select a GREY KNIGHTS PSYKER with the Rites of Banishment ability, until the end of that phase add 6"s to the range of their powers. (Purifiers do not have the Rites of Banishment ability)

Duty eternal (1CP): During Any Phase when a GREY KNIGHTS DREADNOUGHT is chosen as the target for an attack, until the end of that phase it takes half the damage inflicted rounding up.

Fight on the move (1CP): At the end of your Movement Phase select one GREY KNIGHTS INTERCEPTOR unit, until the end of that turn that unit can be chosen to shoot with and charged with even if it fell back during this turn.

Empyric Surge (1CP): During your Psychic Phase select a GREY KNIGHTS PSYKER unit after it has manifested a psychic power. For the rest of that phase, any friendly GREY KNIGHTS PSYKER within 6" of that unit adds 1 to any psychic test taken.

Redoubtable Defense (1/2CP): During Any Phase select a GREY KNIGHTS TERMINATOR unit, until the end of that phase when resolving an attack made by a ranged weapon against that unit subtract 1 from the damage characteristic of that weapon for that attack to a minimum of 1.(5 or fewer models costs 1CP)

Steady Advance (1CP): During your Shooting Phase select a GREY KNIGHTS INFANTRY unit, until the end of that phase for the purposes of the Bolter Discipline ability they count as having remained stationary.

Untainted and Unbowed (1CP): When a GREY KNIGHTS PURIFIER unit is chosen as the target for an attack. Until the end of the turn models in that unit have a 4+ invulnerable save. When a morale test s taken for that unit, do not roll the dice; it is automatically passed.

Preternatural senses (1CP): Select a GREY KNIGHTS PURGATION unit, until the end of that phase when resolving an overwatch attack they hit on 4+.

Basically, GK now has had most of their problems fixed. Now they're no longer sharing just six powers across their whole army and their characters have a really good reason to exist, they got a defensive boost with the crazy good tide of shadows which helps them survive turn 1 before they deep strike, their smites no longer have to feel like you're slapping your enemy with a wet sock, and you can turn on Psybolt Ammunition and the psychic bullets tide and blow tanks away. like seriously, if you spend Command Points on that and Bring Down the Beast you deal like 18 damage to a knight with 10 grey knights who just have storm bolters. Also, the fact that the tides swap when you use a psychic power is...really really fucking good. You can say "it's smites o clock bitches!" unload your whole army with 2 damage smites, and then they very last power you cast...is the tide swap and now your psychic bullets are doing double damage, or you're back to sneaky mode and everyone's rocking 2+ armor.

Even terminators, those guys who GW just...can never seem to figure out good rules for, at least have a stratagem that makes them ridiculously tough to get rid of. Oh hey you've got plasma? Cool, still only does 1 damage to me.

their biggest issue in my eyes is still getting their shiny metal asses into melee. That reroll charge rolls aura is still your ONLY way to get better charges. honestly, their melee weapons are free, I would just treat them as a fun bonus thing you get to do turn 3 after most of your stuff doesn't get in turn 2.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:07 pm

My last game at the LVO was actually against grey knights. It was an awesome and close game. Note, this is pre-P.A.IV. They put out a lot of hurt, and this book made them even better. I already had a kill team going, but I am definitely planning on building them up to a full army.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Postby The cosmic serpent » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:02 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 pm
their biggest issue in my eyes is still getting their shiny metal asses into melee. That reroll charge rolls aura is still your ONLY way to get better charges. honestly, their melee weapons are free, I would just treat them as a fun bonus thing you get to do turn 3 after most of your stuff doesn't get in turn 2.
The answer to that is a Land raider crusader with Sanctuary on it and then sent through the "GATE OF INFINITY" to spit bullets out the other side and "tank" (dad joke) some shots and pop the fnp stratagem against mortal wounds on a 5++. Turn 2 slice and dice with 3x5 man purifier squads loaded up with falcions and crowe popping out of the LR with 3 attacks (falchions + shock assault) in combat each and their deep striking bro captain to extend their puny mega smite range to 6" with the Tide turned on to +1MW (so anywhere from min 2 to max 7 per Purifier squad +crowe). Surrounded by strike teams and a couple of beat stick GMDKs. Yeah I've been spending some time thinking about it. Now before you go saying a LR will never stand up to IF or IH or X flavor of infected loyalist space marine in competitive gaming, that's ok chances are the GK player likes fluff or he wouldn't have bought the army in the first place. Which means the GK player might not be gunning for the Top 8 table, but is rather happy raining down mind bullets at the mid level :D