My current army list 1750 points

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
waddledom
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

My current army list 1750 points

Postby waddledom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:02 pm

This is my current list for my dark angels army just to text the waters! Tell me what you think!

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [104 PL, 9CP, 1,720pts] ++

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Azrael [9 PL, 1CP, 150pts]

Lieutenants [4 PL, 63pts]
. Lieutenant: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

Techmarine [5 PL, 61pts]: Boltgun, Power axe, Servo-arm
. Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 89pts]: 4x Intercessor
. Bolt rifles
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

Scout Squad [4 PL, 75pts]
. Heavy Weapon Scout: Missile launcher
. 3x Scout (Boltgun)
. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 87pts]: 4x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Power fist
. Special Weapon Marine: Flamer

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 60pts]: 4x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 60pts]: 4x Space Marine
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites +

Deathwing Terminator Squad [13 PL, 187pts]
. Deathwing Sergeant: Storm Bolter & Power Sword
. Deathwing Terminator: Assault cannon, Power fist
. Deathwing Terminator: Chainfist, Storm bolter
. Deathwing Terminator: Power fist, Storm bolter
. Deathwing Terminator: Power fist, Storm bolter

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 157pts]: Heavy flamer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon
. Fragstorm Grenade Launchers: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 154pts]: Twin lascannon
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer: Heavy flamer

+ Fast Attack +

Assault Squad [5 PL, 81pts]
. Assault Marine Sergeant: Plasma pistol, Power sword
. 2x Space Marine (Bolt Pistol)
. 2x Space Marine (Flamer): 2x Flamer

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 177pts]: Storm bolter, Twin lascannon
. Two lascannons: 2x Lascannon

Predator [9 PL, 177pts]: Predator autocannon, Storm bolter
. Two lascannons: 2x Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Rhino [4 PL, 73pts]: Hunter-killer missile, Storm bolter

Rhino [4 PL, 69pts]: Storm bolter, Storm bolter

++ Total: [104 PL, 9CP, 1,720pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
waddledom

Re: My current army list 1750 points

Postby waddledom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Not quite 1750 but close enough!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:03 am

So, let's chat about what the Dank Angles got in psychic awakening recently where they got their space marine doctrine stuff.

-Your special doctrine is in the Heavy Weapons doctrine, meaning you get it turn 1. Heavy and RF weapons get +6" range, assault weapons get +3" range. So what's that mean?

Well, it means that tactical marines get 30" range boltguns, which is actually really nice. Start them near the deployment line, and they'll probably be able to stand still and rapid fire turn 1. Nice! It also means your flamers are 11" range instead of 8" - so if you had a Drop Pod, you could deep strike in and attack with flamers right away. On top of all that you get those sweet sweet AP-4 lascannons and AP-2 Pred Autocannons out of your tanks, which is SUPER good for killing enemy tanks. I would think that unless you're up against a huge horde of orks or something, you'd want to stick to devastator doctrine for a couple of turns.

-You get a new stratagem that is a very good one for your list, which is going to be the one suggestion I have for you: Combined Assault

Combined Assault (2 CP): Teleporting unit of DW may set up within 6″ of a friendly RW Biker unit that hasn’t Advanced and outside of 6″ from enemy

The difference between being 9" away and 6" away for terminators is ENORMOUS. More than doubles your odds of getting in out of deep strike, goes from like 28% to 70% right off the bat without rerolling any dice. So what you definitely definitely want to do is have a small unit of ravenwing bikes added somewhere to the list. Now, keep in mind that if you want to be super safe, Ravenwing HQs also have the RAVENWING BIKER keyword, so can be used for this purpose as well, so you could add in a Ravenwing Apothecary or something if you wanted to, who can do the resurrecty thing to your army or a Ravenwing Champion who just..stays alive easier because he's a character, costs the same as a 3-man bike squad, and I guess can go kill characters in melee with his S7 sword after he's done his job getting the terminators in. If you want to go super cheap-o, a single attack bike is 37 points, you can hide him somewhere out of line of sight turn 1 to keep him alive, then scoot him up turn 2 to drop the terminators in. Riskier, but saves you a few points versus the Champion. But you don't get Cool Bike Man With Sword. You can drop a rhino and add a Champion, and just have your two mounted up squads riding in one rhino together. Or you could swap out the Techmarine and use the rest of your spare points to add the Champ (honestly I think it works better if you have two rhinos).

Now, talking about this list.You've got 30 points to spare, the first thing that pops into my mind that you should do is to actually take 1 of your tactical squads (the one with the power fist and the flamer) and the assault squad, and you should decalare them "Company Veterans" instead. They cost 1 point more, so you've spent 10 of your 30 points, and they get +1 attack. And your basic dudes go from having bolt pistols and chainswords, to having boltguns and chainswords, so they shoot a little better. Stick a 5-man squad in each rhino, and there you go - you've got your objective grabbers and your distractions.

Now, the way you should set your list up in most games is going to be this:

Try to get an objective somewhere in your deployment zone in the middle of the table. Set up the dreads, scouts, tacticals, intercessors, and predators in a huge block with the dreadnoughts in front and the predators in back, all within 6" of Azrael and the Lieutenant. Literally just jam them the heck in there, base to base if you have to be. Remember that only a single model actually needs to be within 6" for the squad to be "within 6". This is your big, tough, F off anvil that will be steadily carving away at the enemy army.

Then, set your Rhino(s) and bike champ if you add him somewhere off to the side. The goal of the rhino(s) is to roll up to objectives off to the sides or up in the mid-board and camp out on them. What you want your opponent to be thinking is "God damn, I really do hate wasting my lascannon shots on those predators with 4++ saves, those rhinos are out there scoring him points, maybe I should target those..." Then turn 2, your bike scoots forward, you pop the Combined Assault stratagem, and your terminators act as the Hammer to your greenwing's Anvil - use them to kill some pesky character, or soft target out of range of your boltguns, or counter an assault unit that's about to reach your line. They're your flexible problem-solver unit, just don't use them for something your wall of lascannons and predator autocannons can just rip through in the shooting phase.

The key with the Rhinos and the company vets within them is don't get distracted and charge them straight towards the enemy. When you lose games, it'll be by winning the war of attrition but losing the objective game because you were sitting on only one while your opponent was off dying on 5 objectives. It is honestly, actually better for the company Vets to score a single victory point for you than it is for them to get into combat/flamer range.

Now let's talk about expanding to 2,000 points. What I'd do, is put all those points into expanding the Hammer, and your capacity to score points. Bringing that terminator squad up to 10 would maximize your use of Combined Assault, that gets you most of the way to 2,000 already. Adding a couple more fast Ravenwing elements like Land Speeders, Biker squads, or Attack Bikes would expand your ability to run out and score points while the deathblob kills the opposing army, and also give you insurance for if your opponent manages to kill your one biker guy before turn 2.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
waddledom

Postby waddledom » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:03 am
So, let's chat about what the Dank Angles got in psychic awakening recently where they got their space marine doctrine stuff.

-Your special doctrine is in the Heavy Weapons doctrine, meaning you get it turn 1. Heavy and RF weapons get +6" range, assault weapons get +3" range. So what's that mean?

Well, it means that tactical marines get 30" range boltguns, which is actually really nice. Start them near the deployment line, and they'll probably be able to stand still and rapid fire turn 1. Nice! It also means your flamers are 11" range instead of 8" - so if you had a Drop Pod, you could deep strike in and attack with flamers right away. On top of all that you get those sweet sweet AP-4 lascannons and AP-2 Pred Autocannons out of your tanks, which is SUPER good for killing enemy tanks. I would think that unless you're up against a huge horde of orks or something, you'd want to stick to devastator doctrine for a couple of turns.

-You get a new stratagem that is a very good one for your list, which is going to be the one suggestion I have for you: Combined Assault

Combined Assault (2 CP): Teleporting unit of DW may set up within 6″ of a friendly RW Biker unit that hasn’t Advanced and outside of 6″ from enemy

The difference between being 9" away and 6" away for terminators is ENORMOUS. More than doubles your odds of getting in out of deep strike, goes from like 28% to 70% right off the bat without rerolling any dice. So what you definitely definitely want to do is have a small unit of ravenwing bikes added somewhere to the list. Now, keep in mind that if you want to be super safe, Ravenwing HQs also have the RAVENWING BIKER keyword, so can be used for this purpose as well, so you could add in a Ravenwing Apothecary or something if you wanted to, who can do the resurrecty thing to your army or a Ravenwing Champion who just..stays alive easier because he's a character, costs the same as a 3-man bike squad, and I guess can go kill characters in melee with his S7 sword after he's done his job getting the terminators in. If you want to go super cheap-o, a single attack bike is 37 points, you can hide him somewhere out of line of sight turn 1 to keep him alive, then scoot him up turn 2 to drop the terminators in. Riskier, but saves you a few points versus the Champion. But you don't get Cool Bike Man With Sword. You can drop a rhino and add a Champion, and just have your two mounted up squads riding in one rhino together. Or you could swap out the Techmarine and use the rest of your spare points to add the Champ (honestly I think it works better if you have two rhinos).

Now, talking about this list.You've got 30 points to spare, the first thing that pops into my mind that you should do is to actually take 1 of your tactical squads (the one with the power fist and the flamer) and the assault squad, and you should decalare them "Company Veterans" instead. They cost 1 point more, so you've spent 10 of your 30 points, and they get +1 attack. And your basic dudes go from having bolt pistols and chainswords, to having boltguns and chainswords, so they shoot a little better. Stick a 5-man squad in each rhino, and there you go - you've got your objective grabbers and your distractions.

Now, the way you should set your list up in most games is going to be this:

Try to get an objective somewhere in your deployment zone in the middle of the table. Set up the dreads, scouts, tacticals, intercessors, and predators in a huge block with the dreadnoughts in front and the predators in back, all within 6" of Azrael and the Lieutenant. Literally just jam them the heck in there, base to base if you have to be. Remember that only a single model actually needs to be within 6" for the squad to be "within 6". This is your big, tough, F off anvil that will be steadily carving away at the enemy army.

Then, set your Rhino(s) and bike champ if you add him somewhere off to the side. The goal of the rhino(s) is to roll up to objectives off to the sides or up in the mid-board and camp out on them. What you want your opponent to be thinking is "God damn, I really do hate wasting my lascannon shots on those predators with 4++ saves, those rhinos are out there scoring him points, maybe I should target those..." Then turn 2, your bike scoots forward, you pop the Combined Assault stratagem, and your terminators act as the Hammer to your greenwing's Anvil - use them to kill some pesky character, or soft target out of range of your boltguns, or counter an assault unit that's about to reach your line. They're your flexible problem-solver unit, just don't use them for something your wall of lascannons and predator autocannons can just rip through in the shooting phase.

The key with the Rhinos and the company vets within them is don't get distracted and charge them straight towards the enemy. When you lose games, it'll be by winning the war of attrition but losing the objective game because you were sitting on only one while your opponent was off dying on 5 objectives. It is honestly, actually better for the company Vets to score a single victory point for you than it is for them to get into combat/flamer range.

Now let's talk about expanding to 2,000 points. What I'd do, is put all those points into expanding the Hammer, and your capacity to score points. Bringing that terminator squad up to 10 would maximize your use of Combined Assault, that gets you most of the way to 2,000 already. Adding a couple more fast Ravenwing elements like Land Speeders, Biker squads, or Attack Bikes would expand your ability to run out and score points while the deathblob kills the opposing army, and also give you insurance for if your opponent manages to kill your one biker guy before turn 2.
Thank you so much!!! This was extremely helpful for me, and I’ve actually really wanted an apothecary for awhile now so I might go for that instead of a champion, I have updated my list a tad bit and I will post the edit soon