Thoughts on Tau's "The Eight"?

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
WaaaghDynasty
Name: Andrew McLellan
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Necron, AOrks, Tyranids, GSC, 30k Iron H

Thoughts on Tau's "The Eight"?

Postby WaaaghDynasty » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 am

Hi everyone

I have a buddy getting into Tau-what does the community think about the new Chapter Approved formation "The Eight"? Is it too OP (with eight characters, most of which are Commanders), what kind of an army should support it, and most of all does it look fun? Thanks!
Humans need fantasy to be Human. -Death
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Thoughts on Tau's "The Eight"?

Postby MrScotty » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:48 am

Honestly it's not very usable in a competitive sense. I think the biggest problem with it is because it's a huge, gigundus, ridiculous sized unit of tau, who are not particularly good at close combat, I can do things like take my close combat unit and surround one of the members of the unit that does not have Fly - suddenly the whole unit can't fall back.

It also requires you to commit the shooting of 1000 points of your army, all at the same time. No shooting a transport and then the guys inside.

If you're worried about it being too OP, it's definitely not. If you're going to be playing tournaments, in my opinion you're better off taking the suits that make up the 8 as individuals.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Postby The cosmic serpent » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:16 pm

WaaaghDynasty wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 am
Hi everyone

I have a buddy getting into Tau-what does the community think about the new Chapter Approved formation "The Eight"? Is it too OP (with eight characters, most of which are Commanders), what kind of an army should support it, and most of all does it look fun? Thanks!
Tell your friend to buy a Tau'nar instead.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Tau, Space Marines

Postby Draaen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:19 pm

The forums I read made it seem like the eight deploy at the same time with no requirement for coherency and then they act as separate units. I would double check that because if so it makes a huge difference. Either way though you are spending 3 command points for extra relics and discounted and sub-optimally equipped commanders with one of the poorest sept tenants. So on paper not broken but I think on the tabletop it may end up being better then the way it initially reads. Initial impressions aren't too promising though.

That said the golden rule for Tau is to magnetize your suits. If you do that you have a riptide (amazing) a Broadside (got better) and a snot ton of commanders (amazing). If he gave some the cold star wings and left some as the more traditional commander and a farsight then he could have a choice between commander types and use all of the models except for three commanders in a 2k point game and none of them are a bad choice. Alternatively if he gets a couple start collecting boxes he gets firewarriors essentially for free and would have enough crisis suits he could build as the commanders. If not used as commanders the crisis suits should be good now that they got their points cost reductions (2 flamers and ATS, or 2 missile pods an ATS should be nice). That way he can have the eight or a good army if he finds it's not to his liking.

3 Riptides and fire warriors with support has been a pretty standard competitive army build so getting one magnetized riptide for the eight gets you closer to hitting that 3 mark. Riptides and start collecting boxes would be my recommendations to someone starting out that wanted a viable army.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Draaen is correct, The 8 can be deployed at the same time without regard for unit coherency and then act on their own. It's noted at the bottom of their datasheet.