Team Canada post FAQ revamp

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Team Canada post FAQ revamp

Postby Draaen » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 pm

So with all the recent changes I've struggled to find a fast dynamic Tau force I've enjoyed the play style of. Luckily I have team my team Canada themed white scars so I've already got a dynamic fast moving force ready to go! I haven't really made lists since chapter approved, the meta has definitely developed and the deepstrike changes will definitely affect the list.

The core of the list has been 3 cheapish and durable vanguard vet squads, 2 big bike squads with plasma and power fists supported by 3 intercessor squads, a jump librarian, khan on bike and a chaplain. When combined this lets the main bulk of my force move quick engage their intended target, reroll misses, get +1 strength and re-roll charge distances. It has three faults in that the bikes cannot fall back and shoot, the bikes cannot assault targets in ruins and a majority of my anti-tank is melee so overwatch or dreadnoughts with powerfists can be problematic. Since I don''t have or want vehicles in the list I went with some plasma inceptors for some turn 2 pinch hitting. I plan on starting with the vanguard vets out and they can advance up the field into ruins or LOS blocking terrain to set up an assault T2.

100% Pure Canadian Maple Syrup

9 Command Points

1 Battalion
Kor'sarro Khan on Bike - (Gordie Howe)
Chaplain on Bike (Bobby Orr) - Crozius arcanum, combi bolter
Apothecary on Bike (Paul Henderson) - Teeth of Terra
5 Intercessors - Bolt Rifle, Power Sword, Grenade Launcher
Bike Squad 1
5 Bikes - 2 Plasma guns, 1 Power Fist
1 Attack Bike - Multi-Melta
Bike Squad 1
1 Attack Bike - Heavy Bolter

1 Elite Detachment
Librarian with Jump Pack (Wayne Gretzky) - Multi Melta, Force Sword
3 Inceptors - Plasma Incenerators
10 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Power fist, 3 Power Axes, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon
10 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Thunder Hammer, 3 Power Swords, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon
8 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Power fist, 3 Power Swords, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon

In general with this list I want to abuse my speed and try to isolate parts of my opponents army allowing me to swarm them and use range/terrain to limit return fire and assaults. I'll attempt to encircle units I likely won't kill in melee stay locked in combat fall back out and then re-assault on my turn. It's an extra bonus if I can get a couple tanks in the mix as well but it is by no means necessary.

I'd run more power axes instead of swords and thunder hammers instead of fists but I lack the proper models. To me the power fist on the bikes are really important as the bikes do eventually get tagged up but always have something useful to punch. The vanguard vets are incredibly difficult to remove with the 2 storm shields and really do a lot of heavy lifting for the army. If they are supported by the main pack there is little that wants to actually be in combat with them. Importantly they cover a big weakness of bikes and allow me to interact with terrain and enemies in terrain.

The plasma inceptors are the new addition and the thought is to deep strike them nearby Khan T2 for the re-roll 1's and to remove or hurt something scary. Ideally for me at this point in the game the forward pressure, disruption and placement in terrain is enough to give my plasma inceptors a chance to be active into the later turns of the game. The apothecary has been a cheaky addition to the list for a while and actually is pretty darn decent in melee with the teeths of terra and can bring back an important model that may have gotten killed. I'm not super sold on him though as his points could go to more plasma inceptors or a 3rd min size bike squad with some special weapons.

Pucks and Pups

9 Command Points

1 Battalion
Chaplain on Bike (Bobby Orr) - Crozius arcanum, combi-bolter
10 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Power fist, 3 Power Axes, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon
10 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Power fist, 3 Power Swords, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon
8 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Power fist, 3 Power Swords, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon
Bike Squad 1
Bike Squad 1

1 Fast Attack Detachment
Wolf Priest on Bike - Combi-Melta
3 Thunderwolf Cavalry - Storm Shields, Thunder Hammers
5 Fenrisian Wolves
5 Fenrisian Wolves

I put my store credit into thunderwolf cavalry partly because they are cool models I've always wanted to paint and my wife has a small space wolf force anyways. So I can paint these guys up and when I play my wife she can use them. With the rule of 3 I have extra unpainted bikes so i could take some of the space wolf special bikes in the future. Otherwise besides the wolf priest the space wolves can go up buildings which my bikes can't. The thunderwolves should put out enough attacks both multi-damage and single damage that they can scrap with anyone but give me a really big boost against multi-wound models. The thunderwolves should be pretty rugged by themselves and either be shot at with the same shots that want to target my bikes or vice-versa. The fenrisian wolves and the wolf priest can hardly be ignored either as they are so fast like a lot of my list. Part of me thinks cyber wolves and the wolf psyker on a bike may be better for good cover saves, durability and ability to throw out mortal wounds. To get the space wolf allies I give up my apothecary, the small vanguard squad, the jump librarian and the heavy bolter attack bike. I'm not sure it is worth the trade.

So what are your thoughts on the lists? With the inclusion of the plasma inceptors do i still lack anti-tank? Is there an anti-tank option I am ignoring that would work in this list? I don't have much experience running space wolves myself is there anything people can recommend for a small allied force that would pair really nicely with my white scars? Would the 100% pure canadian maple syrup or pucks and pups seem scarier to your list?
Last edited by Draaen on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Re: Team Canada post FAQ revamp

Postby Draaen » Thu May 03, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm further tweaking the list to maximize some of the quality shots and delivering an I delete a priority target on turn 2. In that vein I ditched my bike apothecary and chaplain and added in a jump captain and a jump lieutenant. The thought being I can deep strike the captain with the inceptors or just give me another landing pad to ensure my expensive plasma inceptors don't blow themselves up. Now I've got 3 multi-meltas on fast characters with fly and an average of 12 plasma shots with fly I can protect in deep strike. Ideally it will be enough to soften up some of the harder units my vanguard vets can struggle to bring down.

Otherwise these character changes gives me roughly the same combat prowess but they can fall back shoot combi-meltas and then re-assault. I also net a CP bringing me to 10. Plenty for this list.

Modified TAC with more Jump Characters

10 Command Points

1 Battalion
Jump Captain (Bobby Orr) - Combi-Melta, Teeth of Terra
Jump Lieutenant (Mario Lemieux) - Combi-Melta, Power Axe

1 Fast Attack Detachment
Bike Squad 1
Bike Squad 2
1 Attack Bike - Heavy Bolter

1 Elite Detachment
Librarian with Jump Pack (Wayne Gretzky) - Combi-Melta, Force Sword
9 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Power fist, 3 Power Axes, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon
9 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Thunder Hammer, 3 Power Swords, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon
9 Vanguard Veterans - 1 Power fist, 3 Power Swords, 2 Storm Shields otherwise Bolt Pistol/Storm Shield and Chain Sword/Weapon

This list looks fairly well balanced to me its fairly durable and while I need to get in close to do my work I have the speed to get there. I can clear out hordes, 2+ save infantry and multi-wound models although with less efficacy. I'm pretty stoked to try it out.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.