How to play Admech?

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars + Inquisition

How to play Admech?

Postby Darth Hoodie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Ok ladies and gentlemen, long story short. FAQ gutted the plans for my TAU so I elected to go a different route and I kinda maybe sorta have Admech now after a few small purchases.

Right now my collection Includes.

Belisarius Cawl
Techpriest Dominus
3 Squads of Either Vanguard/Rangers
2 Knight Armagiers
1 Imperial Knight

Nothing is built yet trying to decide between going vanguard or rangers for troops.
I want to play Mars because I want to have a big cool guy important mega character of my own for once.
Im thinking I could pick up a trio of Onager Dune Crawlers as Ive always liked the models and they seem to be a staple anti tank choice and some Castellan Robots because the rockem sockem robots with the triple heavy phosper blasters and the wrath of mars stratagem could be simply just silly.

Who has experience playing Admech or playing against them?
How many castellan robots is considered the Ideal number of robots ive seen 4/5?
Would it be worth going with a trio of start collecting boxes over just the Dune Crawlers for the extra infantry?
60 Vanguard could be silly fun to run just build a gunline to end all gunlines.

Thanks dudes! My other goal with this army is to find a way to ally nicely with my Templars for apocalypse games. It would be lovely to be able to actually do some damage in the shooting phase instead of just simply spraying storm and hurricane bolters at things while the rhino rush moves up the board.
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: How to play Admech?

Postby MrScotty » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Shame to hear about the Tau - with a similar collection slow-growing on my end, I thought the FAQ massively buffed face-smasher Tau because stealth suits dont care, crisis suits want to be turn 2 tempo anyway so you can use homing beacons, and everything else just runs up or shoots from transports.

But, regardless: Admech. There's basically two flavors that work real well. Mars is "Shoot like a motherfucker, blast stuff off the table with wrath of Mars" and Stygies is "Gunline half is super hard to kill and can actually use melee units with the strat."

If you just want shooters to support your Templars, a Mars death ball sounds perfectly fine. You take stuff that shoots, you clump it around Belligerent Carl, you put some cheapo dudes in front of them and you say "ok, I use wrath of Mars Stratagem on all these kill bots."

Whatever the maximum unit size of kastelans, is how many kastelans a Mars army wants.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 am

Scott is dead on
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 am

If I were going to structure you a 2k list, it'd look something like this:

Knights need two things to be successful. They need to be not shot to death by mass lascannons super early, and they need to not get totally bogged down in chaff before they can get to high value targets.

so for me, the first purchase would be a max sized unit of Kastelan robots, which I think is 6. That sets you up with a solid Mars battalion AND solves your "how do I avoid lascannon barrages T1" problem. Build some Skitarii as Vanguard with 3x Plasma Calivers, build some as Rangers with all your Arquebi, some as Vanguard with 3 Arc Rifles (you want two squads advancing up with the knights while one squad hangs back to screen the bots from deep strike).

Then, once you get a feel for that list, add in one of the following:

-Allied Black Templar, heavy on the deep strike assault marines/lightning claw termies
-Allied Stygies, either a vanguard with electropriests and ruststalkers using the sneaky-strike stratagem or an outrider with Ironstriders.

Those will be your mass communicator horde clearer boys.

The struggle will be getting everything in a reasonable list size. Everything I listed but dropping one 'bot and dropping one vanguard squad down to five gets you a 2k list right there (assuming you use one of your Datasmith models to create a Techpriest as a second HQ). That's going to have good CPs at 11, great shooting, but I don't know if three knights are quite enough to completely hold their own in melee without getting bogged down. They'll probably see some buffs with the codex coming next month.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 am

Yeah I feel ya on the Tau. It's a good codex that should be able to compete with what seems so far to have a lot of valid options. Considering the FAQ and homing beacon change it seems like they wanted to shift away from the super aggressive in your face T1 style lists that we were running. I've been struggling to recapture that dynamic, fast and aggressive feeling with them.

My experience from playing against ad mech is that their skitarii rangers (the ones with the cloaks) are annoying to remove when in cover and have great sniper weapons with their sniper rifles. Great models and they seem to be well worth their points.

Icarus array dunecrawlers are horrifying for my tau and jump assault marines. Mileage will vary against enemies that don't fly but as always the moral of the story is magnetize those guns! Also a cool model.

I've never played against massed kastellans but I believe Scott is right the more kastellan robots the better probably. However I've found even smaller units of 2-4 to be really tough to remove and play around unless I assault them after they drop their can no longer move and shoot bit. That +1 save on 1st turn is just such a mental deterrent.

Is there any style you want to try and do with this army in specific? Is there any capabilities you want it to bring to your black templars if you do an allied army?
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars + Inquisition

Postby Darth Hoodie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:29 pm

What I really wanted to do with my Tau was to play something totally different than my Templars.
The Templars were the long inexorable advance we're going to drive up the board and violently re-arrange your face with a chainsword I "liked" the Tau because the way I wanted to play them was jump in your face turn 1 and wreak havoc with guns flying all over the place.

What I can see myself doing with the AdMech is to pack the guns that my templars drop in favor of close combat weapons.
I really enjoy playing infantry in this edition... However the Onager Dune Crawler is borderline my favorite looking model in the game, just something about the thing I cant seem to get over it. I really like them plus dem guns!!!

I can see myself playing a "Tank Heavy" with lots of infantry support style admech list. I Like the rockem sockem robots but Im not sure I want to invest the points into them when I could be taking even more tanks and infantry granted those rockem sockem robots are like the best unit to take in a Mars army soooo it may be worth looking into them. I also know breachers and destroyers are a thing. I have not spent too much time looking into them. Not a big fan of the dude with tank treads look...

As for the Knights. I am not super invested in running them in every list. I more or less got the Amagiers just to split a forgebane box with JP and be a good friend and I've had the knight sitting in my closet for a while now just never really felt like building or using it the Knights are once again more or less going to be a "Oh hey, I want to play big hammer." Type addition to my army and stuff ya dig?

Scott I really like what your thinking, are the Castellan robots really that strong with Cawl and Mars? Also any word on if any of those super cool forge world infantry upgrade sets are going to be released for 8th ed?
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Well, then I'd start with a Mars battalion backing up a super aggro Templar force and use them as your backline/disposable bodies, which is what Marines tend to lack.

One SC box probably wouldn't hurt you. You need the second HQ anyway, Skitarii are always solid and the box itself is what, 20 bucks more than an onager for 100 bucks of extra stuff on top of it?

It's a good deal, just be careful of over investing in stuff to make a "full army" before you know you like it. That's the beauty of allies - you already have a full army, every purchase just unlocks more options.
Game Preferences:
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:02 pm

To your questions: Mars can run with lots of onagers, you kind of need some kind of squad of something to use Wrath on (this can be Sicarians Infiltrators as well with their super shot pistols in a 10 man squad) but besides that Bob's your uncle. Or electropriests with jazz hands but they don't deep strike.

Kastelans (tank Boyz) are totally non-essential. You use them if you like them. Skitarii are totally the best troops. Both kinds really.
Game Preferences: