Flash Gitz

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Re: Flash Gitz

Postby spruter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:25 pm

I would definitely love to trade
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am

I think you're making a lot of strange decisions here in order to keep your fleet "Uniform" which is a thing orks just generally have no reason to do.

Why can't you have a smaller boat counting as a buggy or something like that?

The biggest problems I see here are:

1) 20-man ork boyz blobs. Orks get an extra bonus attack at 20 or more models in boyz squads, but lose just one member to overwatch or transport popping and that's gone. You almost always want to go either 10, or as close to 30 as points allow. In your case I'd go 10, because vital to the function of this list will be spending CPs on Kustom Jobs pre-game, which will burn a bunch of CP. Also, if the boyz are shootas (they should be), 10-man and a big choppa on the nob is generally a bit better. 2x10 shoota boyz with a rokkit in a battlewagon are not a bad troop choice if you're limiting yourself to only being embarked in transports,

2) no good units to try and trigger Competitive Streak. units like Shokkjump Dragstas, Smasha gunz/Killa Kanz, Tankbustas or units with autohitting weaponry are best because you're not losing out as much by shooting them before you get Competitive Streak up

3) Spending 85pts per trukk to protect one 65pt trukk. KFF is a 9" bubble, or an 18" bubble in a pinch with a stratagem. it's huge, and vehicles just have to be "within" because they are a single-model unit, so any part of a vehicle within 9" gets the 5++. Badrukk, a Warboss to ride-along with your boyz, a deffkilla wartrike speedboat to get your wagons into combat, a weirdboy, a shokk attack mek, you've got many better options for your extra HQs, ork HQs are good.

4) kopta bombs are Legends, and I think Kannon+Kilkannon is actually illegal on a battlewagon. In 8th I think you can either have kannon or kilkannon, because the bit that I thought for years was a Kannon was actually a big shoota turret. There is one of the new kustom jobs that is an auto-hitting Zzap gun, which is kiiind of interesting, because you could use that to snipe a light vehicle and kick off Competitive Streak, but otherwise you always want a kilkannon on a battlewagon, except when you're using a kustom job to upgrade it to the even better Big Booma.

Here's a version of the list I'd be more inclined to run, keeping within theme of no land lubbers:

Freeboota battalion

HQ: Deffkilla Wartrike (Kaptin Ahab! An orky kaptin in a whaling boat with a harpoon arm)
HQ: Big Mek KFF (Da Quartermaster - keeps all the fancy lads fightin' hard with his pot o grub)

Troops: 10 boyz, shootas, rokkit, Big Choppa nob

Heavy: 5 flash gitz, Runt (I'll have to check my codex when I get home, they may have changed flash gits to only one runt maybe with the codex which would be a huge crying shame, they were 5 runts in the index)
Heavy: 5 flash gitz, Runt
Heavy: 5 flash gitz, Runt

Freeboota Battalion

HQ: Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun
HQ: Kaptin Badrukk

Troops: 10 boyz, Shootas, Big choppa nob
Troops: 10 boyz, Shootas, Rokkit, Big Choppa Nob
Troops: 10 boyz, Shootas, Rokkit, Big Choppa Nob

Fast: Shokkjump dragsta
Fast: Deffcopta, 2x Big Shootas
Fast: Deffcopta, 2x Big Shootas

Heavy: Battlewagon, Kilkannon, Deffrolla - Kustom Job: Da Booma
Heavy: Battlewagon, Kilkannon, Deffrolla - Kustom Job: Forktress
Heavy: Battlewagon, Kilkannon, Deffrolla

Dedicated: Trukk
Dedicated: Trukk

2x Squads of gits go in one trukk, 1x squad of gits and all the footslogging HQs go in the other, Wartrike follows the wagon train towards the enemy lines.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

Just confirmed in my codex: they did, those bastards! They changed the line from "The unit may be accompanied by 1 Ammo Runt for each FLASH GIT or KAPTIN' to "The unit may be accompanied by 1 Ammo Runt for every 5 FLASH GITS and KAPTINS".

Ah well, at least now flash gits shooting attacks will not be an unholy nightmare to resolve since each model gets to reroll 1 die.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Postby spruter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks for the advice. My big problem is a lack of the codex which i will grab and look further into before attempting to make a 2k List. The second thing I really should focus on is a smaller list with 1 battleship and a few supporting characters first.

Your modeling advice is spot on, and I was also thinking of converting the back of a Shokkjump Dragsta into a swamp boat style vehicle so that would be a very interesting unit to try.