Adding a Riptide

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Adding a Riptide

Postby Draaen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm

I've finally bitten the bullet and I've decided to convert up a riptide as a nice big cool converted centerpiece. However now I am looking at how to incorporate and use this guy so that he fits into my hyper aggressive and mobile scheme I've been having a lot of fun with. So I decided to take m 1500 point list and add the riptide and supporting units he requires to be effective.

1500 Point Core
2 x Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters
2 x Cadre Fireblade
4 x 5 Firewarriors w/ 1 markerlight
2 x Devilfish, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
2 x 10 Kroot
2 x 3 stealth suits, 1 fusion blaster
Ghostkeel Fusion Cascade, 2 Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Shield Generator
2 x Piranha - Fusion Blaster, 2 Seeker Missiles
3 x Firesight Marksman

So I have really good anti-tank, markerlight support, anti light infantry shooting and speed. I have little to no range besides the seeker missiles or high volume, multi-damage low ap shots. So I have decided to add in a riptide with a drone controller. No ATS means the Ion may be better then the heavy burst cannon but it also means I can bring shield drones AND sniper drones to form a bit of a death ball. The riptide provides a buff to the snipers which is hard to get and the drones provide protection to the riptide. Hopefully it can be tough and put out some good DPS too. The sniper drones let me take a brigade as well which should help with the CP.

Additional 500 points
Riptide - Ion, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock, Drone Controller
3 x 3 Sniper Drones
3 x 4 Shield Drones (Maybe add a markerlight or 2 per squad)

So I can see the riptide squad able to move up behind the stealth suits and the piranhas. I can now kill weak characters, do mortal wounds or target anything that has range. I can add more drones around the riptide from the vehicles when they die or I let them go if the shield and sniper drones get wrecked. The sniper drones getting -1 to hit and the shield drones being T4 4++/5+++ they should be able ot keep up that riptide for a turn or 2 before any real damage gets through. Sa'cea largely takes care of drone morale.

What do you guys think?
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.