Bringin' Da Waagh Back To Town

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Bringin' Da Waagh Back To Town

Postby MrScotty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:35 am

With the previews and leaks from the ork codex I'm working out what my first couple of lists are going to be, and what I like in the new codex that I didn't in the previous one.

Overall, I'm really happy with the changes being previewed and I'm pretty excited in particular for the way my beloved Evil Sunz have been introduced into the game. They've got an awesome trait (+1 to move (2 if you're a Speed freek unit), +1 to advance and charge, move and fire assault weapons at full BS) and an awesome relic/warlord trait, and for that I'll gladly take a mostly-useless stratagem.

My first list is pretty much "how I initially imagined my ork army playing when I started them in fifth"
List1

Ork Brigade

Gretchin X4 120
Boyz X10 70 with Klaw 13 and Big Shoota 5
Boyz X10 70 with Klaw 13 and Big Shoota 5

Warboss on Deffkilla Wartrike 120
Big Mek on Bike 101 with KFF 20 and Klaw 13
Weirdboy 62

Nob with Waagh Banner 77
5x Tankbustas 85
5x nobz 70 with 2x Big Choppa 5

Boomdakka Snazzwagon 95
Kustom Boosta-Blasta 100
Shokkjump Dragsta 108
Mekatrak Scrapjet 90
9x Warbikes 207 with Klaw 13

Bonebreaka battlewagon 140 with Deffrolla 19
Gunwagon 140 with Killkannon 15 Kannon 15 and 2x Big Shoota 5
Deffcopta 30 with Kopta Rokkits 24

Trukk with big shoota 64
Trukk with big shoota 64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRBu-FxD5W0 This is a very simple summary of how I wanted my orks to look and feel when I read the Gorkamorka rulebook lo these 14 years ago. The way it worked out then was I had to settle on mostly just an army full of trukks that would disgorge a small ork horde into the enemy lines slightly faster than a green tide.

Now with all these new vehicle rules I can make the glorious, varied, crazy ork horde I always wanted to have. All the new rules are at the very least "Scott level competitive" except for the squigbuggy, which is unfortunate because I love the looks of the thing I just can't justify it. It's so weak for 140 points.

List number 2 is mostly just a celebration of the crazy ork walker conversions I loved that drove me into something of a Mek Mob style list after I got bored of traditional Speed Freeks:
List 2

2x Ork Battalions

Mega Mek with Klaw+KFF+KMB 119
Big Mek with KFF 75
Deffkilla Wartrike 120
Weirdboy 62

3x Gretchin 90
30 choppa boyz+klaw nob 223
10 shoota boyz+big shoota 75
10 shoota boyz+big shoota 75

Nob with Waagh Banner 77

Deff Dreads: 1 with 2 saws+2 Big Shootas 85, 1 with 4 klaws 115, 1 with 4 klaws 115, one with 3 klaws 1 scorcha 117
Killa Kanz: 6 with rokkits 336

Boomdakka Snazzwagon 100
Kustom Boosta Blasta 100
5 warbikes 115

All the trukks and bikes are just screen murdering devices here because I have so much anti tank rolling forward with the wall of kanz and much cheaper dreads. Killa Kanz sadly don't get the benefit of klan rules since they're grots, but thats ok they're ork walkers so they get to come too.

List 3 I get a bit creative with the klan rules, bringing some Freeboota Mercenaries alongside my Evil Sunz because I own two boxes of Flash Gitz and Badrukk who are hard locked into Freebootas now.
List 3

Freeboota Battalion

Kaptin Badrukk 84 ammo runt 4
Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun 80

3x Gretchin 90

10x Flash Gitz 300 2x ammo runt 8
10x Lootas 170
Mek Gunz 3X Smasha Gunz 36ea 1x Trakktor Kannon 45

Shokkjump Dragsta 108
Rukkatrukk squigbuggy 140

Trukk 64
Trukk 64

Evil Sunz Battalion

Warboss 65 with attack squig kombi scorcha 17 and power klaw 13
Weirdboy 62

3x Gretchin 90

Bonecrusha Battlewagon 140 with deffrolla 19

10x Nobz 140 with 4x big choppas 5 and 3x klaws 13
10x Stormboyz 90
5x Kommandos 40 with 2x Burnas 0 and Big Choppa Nob 5

units composed entirely of Gretchin (including the Mek Gunz) don't get the benefit of clan special rules, but they DO get <clan> tags, meaning they're in an interesting spot for the freeboota rule. Freebootas get +1BS for the phase if another Freeboota unit within 24" destroyed something earlier in the phase. This means the mek gunz can fire first each shooting phase in an attempt to trigger the clan rules for the rest of the units. The bonecrusha full of hurt is going to spend 2CP to deep strike in along with basically the entire evil sunz half of the detachment.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Re: Bringin' Da Waagh Back To Town

Postby Sandtiger » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:48 pm

LMAO

Scott this is glorious and I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun playing against your Orks sometime.
effullbao
Name: Ben L
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Ork/Nurgle Daemons

Postby effullbao » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:54 am

List building is super fun in the past couple days.

I'm trying to cram in a tide of 90 boyz and a spearhead detachment with a wartrike, 5 skorcha fightin' dreads, and gorkanaut, and a grot battalion. The battalion option seems to be real inexpensive too rounding out to 214 if you opt for two weirdboyz as your HQ. Time will tell if you do need a support package of banner nob, painboy, and KFF mek. You're able to spread a little wider across the board if you opt out but being able to refresh a big boyz mob once a game may be good. It's great to finally be able to leverage your CP for something other than rerolls! Being able to skar up boyz for clan Goff, make a weirdboy a Warphead, and just plain old deepstriking stuff seem real strong. On top of just not needing to spend CP to reroll a single charge die, I finally can play 40k like everyone else and do cool and dynamic things with my command points.

Index options seem to be hear to stay. The biker boss seems solid enough to field on his own and big mek still seems to be the cheapest way to field a KFF. I've always been happy with a super mobile waaagh even if Ghaz is so beefy. I haven't looked too much into the relics personally. Initially I thought it was just gonna be a no brainer and field Lucky Stikk Ghazghkull every time but I've been thinking about fielding other toys instead. I'd kill for a Mega Force Field but I'm pretty happy with the rest of the codex with the exception of the stompa being super overpriced. I think they would be able to keep an expensive pricetag (though not as high as it is right now) if they allowed it to be the only ork transport that would let you carry a full squad of 30 boyz but I don't have enough knowledge of the game to know if that was a thing or not. The effigy rule being kinda meh makes the big footprint kind of irrelevant. Undeniably it's gonna be a fire magnet but it turns out that 40 wounds isn't that great especially considering the best you can do is a KFF invul save. The juiciest bits about it seem to be the toughness 8 which you could just get from tellyportin' a gorkanaut for safety vs turn 1 shooting and the big guns that you get which you could honestly probably dedicate a fraction of the points to just traktor kannons and other guns and call it a day. Oh well, that's the one coffee stain for me on an otherwise pretty fresh and fun codex. Is it better than other codices? Dunno but the options and playstyle it encourages is pretty much right down my alley.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 am

effullbao wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:54 am
List building is super fun in the past couple days.

I'm trying to cram in a tide of 90 boyz and a spearhead detachment with a wartrike, 5 skorcha fightin' dreads, and gorkanaut, and a grot battalion. The battalion option seems to be real inexpensive too rounding out to 214 if you opt for two weirdboyz as your HQ. Time will tell if you do need a support package of banner nob, painboy, and KFF mek. You're able to spread a little wider across the board if you opt out but being able to refresh a big boyz mob once a game may be good. It's great to finally be able to leverage your CP for something other than rerolls! Being able to skar up boyz for clan Goff, make a weirdboy a Warphead, and just plain old deepstriking stuff seem real strong. On top of just not needing to spend CP to reroll a single charge die, I finally can play 40k like everyone else and do cool and dynamic things with my command points.

Index options seem to be hear to stay. The biker boss seems solid enough to field on his own and big mek still seems to be the cheapest way to field a KFF. I've always been happy with a super mobile waaagh even if Ghaz is so beefy. I haven't looked too much into the relics personally. Initially I thought it was just gonna be a no brainer and field Lucky Stikk Ghazghkull every time but I've been thinking about fielding other toys instead. I'd kill for a Mega Force Field but I'm pretty happy with the rest of the codex with the exception of the stompa being super overpriced. I think they would be able to keep an expensive pricetag (though not as high as it is right now) if they allowed it to be the only ork transport that would let you carry a full squad of 30 boyz but I don't have enough knowledge of the game to know if that was a thing or not. The effigy rule being kinda meh makes the big footprint kind of irrelevant. Undeniably it's gonna be a fire magnet but it turns out that 40 wounds isn't that great especially considering the best you can do is a KFF invul save. The juiciest bits about it seem to be the toughness 8 which you could just get from tellyportin' a gorkanaut for safety vs turn 1 shooting and the big guns that you get which you could honestly probably dedicate a fraction of the points to just traktor kannons and other guns and call it a day. Oh well, that's the one coffee stain for me on an otherwise pretty fresh and fun codex. Is it better than other codices? Dunno but the options and playstyle it encourages is pretty much right down my alley.
The only thing I can think of for the Stompa personally and yes it is definitely just more of a "hilarity ensues" type deal is the special stratagem for blood axes actually has no cap on power level. So you can bring in a stompa via deep strike for 2cp. Good? No. Hi-frickin-larious? Yes.

I get that the index is still available, but in the interest of not leaning on a crutch that might snap at any moment I've been trying to devise lists that either don't really need a KFF or use one of the other delivery mechanisms for it, particularly for my speedboyz the much improved KFF granting flyer. For footsloggers, the morka seems pretty drastically improved though a standard mek is also fine from the index. The biggest thing I think you need to improve your footsloggers tbh is some vehicles scattered through, especially the new best friend of the footslogging ork mob, the Killa Kan. Enemy hoses down your boyz with some boltgun fire? Grot shield, tank it on a 3+ armor save, and if one Kan goes down, it's then 1cp to make your 30 boyz have a 5+ armor save for the rest of the game. Hot damn.

That thing had its points upped slightly but its damage amped from all directions. The Smasha Gun went to D6 damage from D3. The wazboom kannons went from 1 shot to D3. The tellyport blastas went from D3 shots damage 1 to 3 shots damage D3. Because I don't usually present a ton of infantry bodies T1 (usually 40 boyz ready to Da Jump and they'll have units of grots in front to absorb fire if I don't get turn 1) the kind of fire that's going into my KFFs is usually anti-vehicle fire. If my opponent thinks "wow, scary plane, gotta shoot that with my lascannons" then that's perfect, because it's the toughest thing in my whole army with -1 to hit 5++ and 12 wounds.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
effullbao
Name: Ben L
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Ork/Nurgle Daemons

Postby effullbao » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:05 am

Unfortunately, you can only grot shield using a gretchin infantry but I almost forgot about a Loot It! entirely. That’s definitely gonna influence my Deff Dread placement a little bit.

Looking at the warlord traits, I think I’ll be trying out Follow me Ladz! on a big choppa/power klaw warboss. A bike boss was gonna be my first choice but getting a 9 inch waaagh bubble isn’t shabby in addition to an extra command point. The stratagem does specify Waaagh so Great Waaagh and Speedwaaagh are sadly out of the picture. A little too early in the morning to run around looking for my index but if the bike boss’ waaagh isn’t named differently, then rules as written you can buff his bubble too.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:49 pm

effullbao wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:05 am
Unfortunately, you can only grot shield using a gretchin infantry but I almost forgot about a Loot It! entirely. That’s definitely gonna influence my Deff Dread placement a little bit.

Looking at the warlord traits, I think I’ll be trying out Follow me Ladz! on a big choppa/power klaw warboss. A bike boss was gonna be my first choice but getting a 9 inch waaagh bubble isn’t shabby in addition to an extra command point. The stratagem does specify Waaagh so Great Waaagh and Speedwaaagh are sadly out of the picture. A little too early in the morning to run around looking for my index but if the bike boss’ waaagh isn’t named differently, then rules as written you can buff his bubble too.
Ahhh, you're right on the grot shield. I was going off of what I remembered from an early rules leak and they had the wording of the stratagem completely wrong. Still, the way the stratagem is actually worded is badiddlydonkers when you use it to protect Meganobz - oh, i'll just take my 2+ armor save (or 1+ if you were dumb and shot the transport I was standing in before) and then if I fail it I'll just pass those wounds off on gretchin, as if you just had to shoot gretchin through T4 2+ save.

"follow me ladz" doesn't work WITH speedwaagh but it does give a deffkilla the regular Waagh ability as well, which is nice if you don't want to have to bring 2 separate HQs to get your whole army advancing and charging. I would consider using that, but man, Evil Sunz have a tough choice in the warlord trait department...Might Makes Right is amazing on him since it makes him S8 and A6 and the Evil Sunz trait is also amazing in general.

I'm having two major problems with making a good TAC list - the first being a desire to not just completely frontload everything into a super crazy alpha strike, and the second being fitting all the crazy toys I want to fit into a list and still have any infantry on the board at all.
Game Preferences: