Terrain Tips!

Talk tactics or post your army lists and get feedback from our best and brightest.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Terrain Tips!

Postby MrScotty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:17 am

There's been a ton of confusion and changes in the way terrain works in 8th edition, so I figured I'd make a thread talking about terrain tactics and how to make the best use of terrain in 8th.

First, a bit of an update: In researching for this I went through the most current FAQs, and I have the following couple bits of info.

1) All terrain that used to operate "by Model" (barricade, statuary, various pipes etc) now operate "by Unit". So, there is no longer any way for an individual model within a unit to get a cover save while the rest of the unit doesn't have one.

2) "Wholly On Or Within" has been clarified. Previously as I understand it the common interpretation was "100% of every model in the unit must fit inside the terrain piece to even consider getting cover". This is no longer the case. "wholly within" means "every model in the unit is within" and "within" means "any part of the model is touching the feature or within the specified distance. Think like when you measure weapon range - usually you measure from the front of the base to the closest part of the target model, and it doesn't matter if some other part near the back of the target model isn't in range.

All three of these things add up to the basic terrain rules (Ruins, Forests, etc) being a great deal easier to use, and the Statuary terrain type being not quite as much of an improvement as it was before. Calling all buildings (big enough for a unit or two to easily fit inside) Ruins, all area terrain Forests, and all smaller terrain features Statues would seem to give a good mix of simplicity and ease of use.

And with that in mind, a few tips to make the best use out of the cover you have on the battlefield.

-Remember that even though a single model can deny your unit a cover save, your unit can gain a cover save at any time. If the single model standing out of cover dies to a shooting attack, all the rest of the models now in the terrain instantly get the cover bonus on the rest of their saves. So while you can no longer use a couple of models hanging out in cover to "tank" for the rest of your unit, you can trim off stragglers first to get the bonus.

-When you're being shot from out of line of sight, you are 100% obscured from the perspective of the firer. Thanks to the new "wholly within" ruling and the fact that most vehicles are single-model units, you can gain cover against almost all ignores-LOS fire by making sure your vehicle ends its movement touching the base of a ruin or area terrain piece, even though you might not be obscured from direct firers.

-Overwatch is a shooting attack, and must obey all restrictions including the shooting unit being able to see the target. Charging, however, does not require line of sight. Look for opportunities to tuck a character behind a wall or structure before declaring a charge, and he might be able to deny overwatch from himself and any other units he wants to bring in.

-Remember that both common types of Area terrain (forests and craters) have the additional effect of slowing units charging across them by 2". If you're on the defending side of assaults, find some area terrain to sit behind.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
smbarne
Name: Stephen Barnes
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Raven Guard & Black Templar

Re: Terrain Tips!

Postby smbarne » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:01 pm

This is super helpful, thanks! Do you happen to know where the "Wholly On Or Within" ruling is clarified? I expect to have to have that handy :). It also makes me a little sad as I've always disliked "toe-in" cover, but it isn't a huge deal.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Re: Terrain Tips!

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm

smbarne wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:01 pm
This is super helpful, thanks! Do you happen to know where the "Wholly On Or Within" ruling is clarified? I expect to have to have that handy :). It also makes me a little sad as I've always disliked "toe-in" cover, but it isn't a huge deal.
Main rulebook FAQ.

Toe in cover is greatly lessened in this edition as A) non vehicles also must be 50% obscured pretty much without exception, and infantry needs every model in the unit on the terrain.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!