Sort of New IG player

New to Grimdark Gaming? Introduce yourself here -- you will receive a warm welcome!
cthomasdig
Name: Challenger T Whitham
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: I play Imperial gaurd In Wh40k

Sort of New IG player

Postby cthomasdig » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm

Played Imperial Guard for a few month at a different gamestore, but stopped being able to make it.
Still have some troubles with the rules but can competently play for the most part. Only here to play casually
I have a 236 point army, but I'm trying to expand it.
I also have a question, would adeptus mechanicus work with an imperial guard, like are there an restrictions where my army has to stay in the same subfaction.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Sort of New IG player

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:33 pm

cthomasdig wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:25 pm
Played Imperial Guard for a few month at a different gamestore, but stopped being able to make it.
Still have some troubles with the rules but can competently play for the most part. Only here to play casually
I have a 236 point army, but I'm trying to expand it.
I also have a question, would adeptus mechanicus work with an imperial guard, like are there an restrictions where my army has to stay in the same subfaction.
Howdy, welcome to the club! We're more than happy to play casually, and you don't need to worry about getting your army built up to a huge size too quickly - at the points value you've got, the new Kill Team game system is probably best suited for you, and we have plenty of people who enjoy that game mode as well as full scale 40k.

To your question, Adeptus Mechanicus can ally with Imperial Guard as they are both imperial armies, the only restriction is that you have to organize your army into multiple detachments.

Detachments are how armies are organized in 8th edition. Basically, you get a number of slots for the different battlefield roles - Troops, HQ, Elites, Etc - and if you fill a detachment, you get Command Points to spend on special abilities. A small detachment, like a Patrol, would only require you to have 1 HQ, and 1 Troop minimum (for example, 1 Lord Commissar, 1 Infantry Squad, and 1 Leman Russ tank would fit into a Patrol detachment). You can have multiple factions in your army, but they need to be the same faction overall (All Chaos, for example, or all Imperial) and they need to have their own detachments.

So, you could have Adeptus Mechanicus with Guard, but you would need to have a guard detachment with a commander, some troops, some tanks etc, and then a separate adeptus mechanicus detachment with a commander, some troops, etc.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!