New to 40k

New to Grimdark Gaming? Introduce yourself here -- you will receive a warm welcome!
glabrous3
Name: Matthew B.
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Eldar

New to 40k

Postby glabrous3 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Hello,

I played tabletop games when I was younger and I always liked the Warhammer 40k universe, but I never had a chance to play. I would like to join your group and get to experience this fascinating game world. Is it ok if I come this Sunday?

Matt
Azarash
Name: Rodrigo Girado
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Dark Eldar

Re: New to 40k

Postby Azarash » Wed May 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm not one of the head honchos, but everyone is welcome to come and play. If you want to set up a game for beginners you might want to post on the looking for a game section of the forums, and state that you are a new player looking to get your feet wet. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people happy to take you up on that. Or if you feel more like coming just to watch we are always open to that too
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Hello Matt. Welcome to the community. We are all very casual here, so feel free to drop by, say hi, and make those questions fly. We can try to arrange teaching games, and we do have some demo armies if you would like to use to help understand the game. We do generally meet on Sundays starting at noon, but we do have Thursday and Friday nights available for gaming, and just come on by whenever you want.

Hope to see you soon.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 02, 2018 1:02 pm

glabrous3 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:28 pm
Hello,

I played tabletop games when I was younger and I always liked the Warhammer 40k universe, but I never had a chance to play. I would like to join your group and get to experience this fascinating game world. Is it ok if I come this Sunday?

Matt
Howdy Matt! New players are of course absolutely welcome, and in the past few weeks, increasingly common. I know we have at least two other folks who are very new to the game, as well as a couple who built up sizable collections just playing games with one another and who are new to the group.

You're absolutely welcome to come on down this sunday, whether you'd just like to check out the game and see the various armies people have, or whether you've got some models of your own and you'd like to have someone teach you the game.

If you're looking for the latter, I'll direct you right here: https://www.grimdarkgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=11. The majority of the games we play are set up beforehand on this forum, because for a lot of folks it's a bit of a drive and nobody wants to turn up and be left without someone to play against. The threads are organized by day and by date. Sunday is the day we usually have the place to ourselves and we end up with the most people playing, but we also have folks playing games after work on Thursdays and Fridays, when the Hobby Bunker is open later.

For another thing, we have two (maybe three?) communal club intro armies and a full set of rulebooks and army indexes for people who don't have models built but are looking to try out the game. If you want to set up an intro game, head over to the Sunday thread and make a post, and if you don't have an army, you can play with one of the two armies from the current Dark Imperium starter kit.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!