Cabalistic focus

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Cabalistic focus

Postby Anacrucis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

What counts as a “psyker” for the purposes of Cabalistc Focus, which can be triggered when there are 2 “other friendly Thousand Sons psykers” nearby to a casting psyker?

Obviously single model psyker characters count, but what about the MSons’ various units with the psyker keyword?

If my sorcerer is within 6” of models from 2 different units of Rubricae can I use this strategem, or do I have to be within range of the aspiring sorcerors from those rubric squads?
PlaguemasterFlex
Officer
Name: Dave
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: CSM (Death Guard) + Daemons

Re: Cabalistic focus

Postby PlaguemasterFlex » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am

An Aspiring Sorcerer is a PSYKER, but his Rubricae are not; so you would need to be within 6" of the PSYKER, which is the actual Aspiring Sorcerer model.

I take it back, the unit itself has the keyword "PSYKER" so technically all of them are legit. I would say RAW you can be within 6" of any model from a Rubricae squad.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm

By RAW, it looks like it's any model with the Psyker Keyword.

RAI is probably actual Psykers. Ergo, it would make sense that you have to position your Aspiring Sorcs correctly rather than just being within 6" of Rubrics.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Memento wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm

RAI is probably actual Psykers. Ergo, it would make sense that you have to position your Aspiring Sorcs correctly rather than just being within 6" of Rubrics.
This is kind of my thinking. It seems a little crappy because the psyker keyword still makes them vulnerable to other effects that target psykers, but I’m taking my MSons up to a league in NH and I don’t want to make an unsportsmanlike first impression.
goblin
Name: anthony lawrence
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: tyranids, pantsthieves, sisters+friends

Postby goblin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm

This is kind of my thinking. It seems a little crappy because the psyker keyword still makes them vulnerable to other effects that target psykers, but I’m taking my MSons up to a league in NH and I don’t want to make an unsportsmanlike first impression.
If this is the Game Castle league, I wouldn't worry about it. Those guys have a number of players who frequently travel to GTs and such and will be used to people playing things RAW and allowing for some of the more wonky interactions in the game. That said, the standard advice always follows: just talk to your opponent about it before the game so you both have the same expectations and things will go smoothly regardless of which interpretation you agree on.