Chainswords

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Blood Angels

Chainswords

Postby Indy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

"Each time the bearer fights it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon."

Does that mean a dude with a chainsword gets a "free" chainsword-caliber (S- AP- D:1) attack no matter what weapons are used?

Or does it mean if you make 1 attack with a chainsword you now get 2x chainsword attacks?

I know a FAQ said a model equipped with 2x chainswords gets 2x extra chainsword attacks (1 additional for each sword of chains).

What I am thinking is say you have a model with 2A and is equipped with 1x power sword and 1x chainsword, would said model get 2x power sword attacks + 1 "free" chainsword attack? Or would the mode have to make 1x power sword attack and then 1x chainsword attack which then "unlocks" the bonus chainsword attack?

Note the exact wording says "additional," but if also does not say "...each time the bearer fights with this weapon"
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Re: Chainswords

Postby Connman234 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Does that mean a dude with a chainsword gets a "free" chainsword-caliber (S- AP- D:1) attack no matter what weapons are used?

Or does it mean if you make 1 attack with a chainsword you now get 2x chainsword attacks?

I know a FAQ said a model equipped with 2x chainswords gets 2x extra chainsword attacks (1 additional for each sword of chains).

What I am thinking is say you have a model with 2A and is equipped with 1x power sword and 1x chainsword, would said model get 2x power sword attacks + 1 "free" chainsword attack? Or would the mode have to make 1x power sword attack and then 1x chainsword attack which then "unlocks" the bonus chainsword attack?

Note the exact wording says "additional," but if also does not say "...each time the bearer fights with this weapon"
You have to allocate one of your attacks to the chainsword. When you do the allocation, then you get an extra attack.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Connman234 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm
You have to allocate one of your attacks to the chainsword. When you do the allocation, then you get an extra attack.
JP's original interpretation is correct. Being equipped with a Chainsword is basically, "this Model gets +1 attack at S: User, AP0, D1"
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Connman234 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

I'm not so sure I agree. Most of the readings I have done are in favor of the extra attacks with the chainsword. The wielder must allocate 1 attack interpretation was my first thought as well but I have not really found anything that backs it up, other than it seemed to me to be right and proper, but that could be an edition mindset change that I need. If I'm missing some rule in the rule book please point it out.

The chain sword never requires additional attacks be made to trigger the ability the wielder must only be fighting. Per the melee rules a model with multiple attacks must declare what weapon he is using. So a model with 2 attacks base initiates the fight phase. The chain sword grants an extra attack to the wielder, that must be used by the chain sword, by virtue of the wielder being engaged in combat with a chain sword. The wielder then must allocate his attacks. The only attacks that must be allocated to the chain sword in the rules called out in this special case is the chain sword must get 1 of the 3. The 2 remaining attacks can be allocated to weapons as normal since the special case of the chain sword has been resolved by allocating the one chain sword attack.

Further if we take a model equipped with 2 chain swords and 1 attack under the more restrictive interpretation would only generate 2 attacks since he could never attack with the second sword. However under my reading he would get 3 attacks as the 2 chain swords are additional attacks added to the user. This seems to me to right and proper and kind of what swayed me to the other side of the debate.

Shennanigans for this interpretation would include being able to load up your your dudes with 10 chain swords for oodles of attacks per model. However that is limited by the war gear selection of each model. Similar to how a you cannot equip 10 bolters to a bike. Now if they made the ten armed man with all chain swords I hope he gets all those extra attacks lol.

The practical implication on this would be to allow veterans who have more flexibility in their wargear to ditch their pistol for an extra attack to go along with their power weapons or just be a boss with 2 chain swords. This situation is IMO kind of cool and not OP because there is a clear trade off. Slightly better in long term protracted combats vs being able to over watch and be useful when outside a realistic charge range. Also if I was dual wielding a master crafted power sword and a chain sword I know which one it is I'm focusing on hitting people with and which one is an attack of opportunity.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
goblin
Name: anthony lawrence
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: tyranids, pantsthieves, sisters+friends

Postby goblin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Further if we take a model equipped with 2 chain swords and 1 attack under the more restrictive interpretation would only generate 2 attacks since he could never attack with the second sword. However under my reading he would get 3 attacks as the 2 chain swords are additional attacks added to the user. This seems to me to right and proper and kind of what swayed me to the other side of the debate.
FYI: this is the correct interpretation per the FAQ:
Q. If a model is equipped with two chainswords, do they get to
make 2 extra close combat attacks?
A. Yes (though both must be made with a chainsword).
https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... ok_ENG.pdf
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Wow. Guess I'm wrong. My apologies for trying to lead you astray Indy.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 am

Connman234 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm
Wow. Guess I'm wrong. My apologies for trying to lead you astray Indy.
Don't apologize. All followers of the False Emperor deserve enlightenment. Oh wait, you meant about the rules.