Questions from my second game of 8th

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Questions from my second game of 8th

Postby Anacrucis » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 am

A buddy of mine who was in town had his flight cancelled last night and so unexpectedly I found myself having my 2nd game of 8th and his first. Some questions arose:

1) difficult terrain - still a thing at all?

2) how does controlling objectives work? Couldn't find this in the rule book.

3) when firing over watch, to models with multiple shooting weapons get to shoot all of them?

And a faction-specific one:

4) venomthropes miasma ability - is this a sort of Boolean thing (either you are, or are not, within an inch of a venomthrope and therefore rolling 1d6), or is it one d6 per venomthrope model in range?

And lastly

5) wow! Venomthropes can fly! That's pretty cool! Who knew?
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Re: Questions from my second game of 8th

Postby Sandtiger » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 am

1. Not really. Non-Infantry units can't go up walls anymore as I recall, which makes sense since Bikes and Cavalry really shouldn't be able to attack people on top of buildings, but Infantry can, and also ignore terrain penalties for moving into buildings.
2. You only need to have more models near an objective than the other player.
3. Yes.
4. Uhhhh ask Anthony Lawrence
5. Booooooooooooooo :P
Memento
Name: Anthony
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:09 am

I can help you out with the generic questions.
Anacrucis wrote: 1) difficult terrain - still a thing at all?
No and yes. Difficult terrain as a blanket rule is out. Movement penalties and other specific terrain rules are in the terrain section of the advanced rules (back of the book). That's why it's sometimes important to discuss with your opponent what terrain pieces follow what rules beforehand.
Anacrucis wrote: 2) how does controlling objectives work? Couldn't find this in the rule book.
Generally speaking, the player with the most models within 3" of the center of each objective controls. Specifics to controlling objectives can be found in each individual mission.
Anacrucis wrote: 3) when firing over watch, to models with multiple shooting weapons get to shoot all of them?
Yes. Unless the weapon type specifications says it can. Only be fired in certain conditions or puts limiters on firing them, a unit can shoot all weapons when it's nominated to shoot - including when Overwatching because they follow all the same rules as when making Shooting Attacks. Except that they hit on unmodifiable 6's.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

both venomthropes' abilities are boolean. The first says "units within 3" of one or more venomthropes" and the second says "Any venomthropes". if the ability was "A venomthrope" then it would stack, but most abilities do not stack in 8th.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!