Tom's tactic tip of the (Time Period): Abusing Heroic Interventions (and why the Gallant is OP)

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Tom's tactic tip of the (Time Period): Abusing Heroic Interventions (and why the Gallant is OP)

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Heroic Interventions are awesome in 8th. They let you make these incredibly narrative manuevers where your Big Damn Hero joins the fray to save the day. It's satisfying and fluffy and great.

And it's also horrifyingly broken.

Lets review the BRB text.
"After the enemy has completed all of their charge moves, any of your Characters that are within 3" of an enemy unit may perform a Heroic Intervention. Any that do so can move up to 3", so long as they end the move closer to the nearest enemy model."

Missing something? Like that you can only intervene into a unit that made a charge, or is even in combat?! FAQs only say that you CAN intervene even if the opponent didn't make any charges, and that you CANT intervene in your own turn.

Key Take Away: After your opponent is done with their charge phase you can walk any of your characters into ANY enemy unit that is 3 inches away.

Cool, so why is that broken...
1. Space wolves can make 6 inch Heroic Interventions, so if Bjorn is within 6 inches of you he can come in and murder you IN YOUR OWN TURN.
2. Imperial Knights who use the Exalted Court stratagem (which is the one that gets you the 4++ vs shooting WL trait that everyone uses) become characters. Knight Gallant that can assault you 3inches in your own turn are scary, but combine that with the free blade Quality that lets you make 6inch HIs and that's just nightmare fuel.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Tom's tactic tip of the (Time Period): Abusing Heroic Interventions (and why the Gallant is OP)

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:31 am

The Last Acton Hero wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm
Heroic Interventions are awesome in 8th. They let you make these incredibly narrative manuevers where your Big Damn Hero joins the fray to save the day. It's satisfying and fluffy and great.

And it's also horrifyingly broken.

Lets review the BRB text.
"After the enemy has completed all of their charge moves, any of your Characters that are within 3" of an enemy unit may perform a Heroic Intervention. Any that do so can move up to 3", so long as they end the move closer to the nearest enemy model."

Missing something? Like that you can only intervene into a unit that made a charge, or is even in combat?! FAQs only say that you CAN intervene even if the opponent didn't make any charges, and that you CANT intervene in your own turn.

Key Take Away: After your opponent is done with their charge phase you can walk any of your characters into ANY enemy unit that is 3 inches away.

Cool, so why is that broken...
1. Space wolves can make 6 inch Heroic Interventions, so if Bjorn is within 6 inches of you he can come in and murder you IN YOUR OWN TURN.
2. Imperial Knights who use the Exalted Court stratagem (which is the one that gets you the 4++ vs shooting WL trait that everyone uses) become characters. Knight Gallant that can assault you 3inches in your own turn are scary, but combine that with the free blade Quality that lets you make 6inch HIs and that's just nightmare fuel.
This is kind of why I call them Heroic Pay Attentions. As your opponent, I should not have too much of a hard time making sure my models that didn't charge/aren't in combat are not within 3" of you (though that wonderful 6" range is not something that Space Wolf players should forget about!) it's just a question of remembering it's in the game and moving accordingly to avoid giving characters free "ins".

Another bit of the rules interaction that bears mentioning here is that the situation of "I punch you, you can't punch me" only occurs when you heroically intervene into an enemy that CHARGED that phase, but did NOT declare your character as a target. So if you get one of these "freebie" heroic intervenes, your opponent will be able to hit you back. Keep that in mind when you go "aha, I will get myself some of those free punches against that there unsuspecting Knight!"
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
AngelusSperi
Name: Jon
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Marines (Blood Angels/Salamanders)

Re: Tom's tactic tip of the (Time Period): Abusing Heroic Interventions (and why the Gallant is OP)

Postby AngelusSperi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:21 am

I agree with what Scott said. I thought heroic interventions were awesome, and used them to great effect with heroes behind my front line murdering charging units early in 8th. Then players smartened up and if my heroes are within 12" of the charging unit, they just declare a charge against my hero and now - even if the enemy didn't make it to him - if I intervene, the charging unit can punch him.

Really, it seems to be useful in the little gap where your hero is 12.1" from the baddies but they will end their charge within 3" of him. Or possibly the knight character, since they're clearly heavy enough hitters that they may not care about getting punched by chargers (but of course if you're charging things next to any knight, that unit is probably able to hold their own vs a super heavy).