Chaos Questions

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Chaos Questions

Postby Draaen » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:02 pm

So I keep looking at different ways to build my list and I keep coming across a couple different questions.

Demonic Summoning:
1. Is demonic summoning subject to the rule of three?
For example if I have my 3 seeker chariots can I summon a 4th? Could I re-summon one that has been killed?
2. Do my demons I summon benefit from their Loci? Does it matter if the summoning character also has the loci?
For example my chaos sorceror summons a great unclean one does he have the Locus of Virulence? If a poxbringer who does get the locus of virulence from his detachment and he summons a great unclean one will the great unclean one also have the locus of virulence.

Can I make a detachment based off of the mark/allegiance of a model?
i.e. can I legally have a chaos sorceror of nurgle, poxbringer and 3 units of nurglings? I seem to think having the nurgle keyword is different when list building but the same in the game? Plaguebearers and stuff are in the codex though so I assume I can? Maybe they wouldn't get the locus?

If I can legally make that detachment then how does it work for chaos space marines and access to their stratagems/relics?

I never thought adding a sorceror would lead to so many questions lol!
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
PlaguemasterFlex
Officer
Name: Dave
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: CSM (Death Guard) + Daemons

Re: Chaos Questions

Postby PlaguemasterFlex » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:58 pm

1. No the rule of 3 doesn't apply to summoned units. If you look at the Big FAQ 1 it says units added to your army that cost reinforcement points don't count towards it.

2. Daemonic Loci are a detachment bonus so summoned units don't receive them. They can still be affected by other daemons' loci obviously.

3. Yes you can make a detachment using the keyword <Nurgle> <Slaanesh> <Khorne> or <Tzeentch>. Troops in this detachment would not be ObSec. You also don't unlock stratagems for the factions from it. You need a pure Daemons or Chaos Space Marine detachment to unlock those. If you already have one then the units in this detachment can be affected by them as normal. Also the daemons in a mixed detachment would not receive their loci.

I find the <Nurgle> (or whatever god you want) work best with Supreme Command.

Also it is possible to give your sorcerer a relic if he is the warlord. Assuming you have no pure CSM detachments then it's the only way he can get one.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Re: Chaos Questions

Postby Draaen » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:36 pm

PlaguemasterFlex wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:58 pm
1. No the rule of 3 doesn't apply to summoned units. If you look at the Big FAQ 1 it says units added to your army that cost reinforcement points don't count towards it.

2. Daemonic Loci are a detachment bonus so summoned units don't receive them. They can still be affected by other daemons' loci obviously.

3. Yes you can make a detachment using the keyword <Nurgle> <Slaanesh> <Khorne> or <Tzeentch>. Troops in this detachment would not be ObSec. You also don't unlock stratagems for the factions from it. You need a pure Daemons or Chaos Space Marine detachment to unlock those. If you already have one then the units in this detachment can be affected by them as normal. Also the daemons in a mixed detachment would not receive their loci.

I find the <Nurgle> (or whatever god you want) work best with Supreme Command.

Also it is possible to give your sorcerer a relic if he is the warlord. Assuming you have no pure CSM detachments then it's the only way he can get one.
Thank you!
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.