Death Visions of Sanguinius: RAW vs RAI

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Blood Angels

Death Visions of Sanguinius: RAW vs RAI

Postby Indy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi all,

Looking to get your take on this. I've been operating on the principle that Strategems could only ever be used once per phase in Matched Play. However, RAW it says that Strategems not used during a phase are not affected. So, a Strategem that says "use before the battle" or "during deployment" or "when mustering" are specifically exempt from the once-per-phase rule.

I am specifically curious about the Death Visions of Sanguinius one for BA. As you can see below that it does not specifically say it can only be used once (like the one for taking extra relics)...so by RAW of the Matched Play rules, you could theoretically use it before the battle for as many characters as you have?

That seems...wrong.
Matched Play rules

Strategic Discipline:

The same Strategem cannot be used by the same player more than once during any single phase. This does not affect Stratagems that are not used during a phase, such as those used "before the battle begins" or "at the end of of a battle round."

Death Visions of Sanguinius 1CP

Use this Strategem when mustering your army. Select a Blood Angels Captain, Chaplain, or Lieutenant from your army (other than Primaris models, and named characters such as Commander Dante). That model gains the Death Company keyword and the Black Rage ability for the duration of the battle.

“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Re: Death Visions of Sanguinius: RAW vs RAI

Postby MrScotty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Yeah. Seems pretty clear that as many blood angel characters as you would care to spend CPs on can opt to take their shirts off and reveal their sparkly hairless torsos to Kristen Stewart.

Or whatever succumbing to the black rage entails. I didnt finish Horus Heresy: Breaking Dawn.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Re: Death Visions of Sanguinius: RAW vs RAI

Postby MrScotty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:02 pm

"Your ribcage is a single fused plate. You're eight feet tall. When we cuddle I feel two hearts. You spit acid."

"Say it."

"SPESS MEHRINE"
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!