Zoning out your opponent

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Zoning out your opponent

Postby The cosmic serpent » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if it is possible to completely zone out an opponents deepstrikers for the entire game. If an opponents units do not arrive by the end of battle round 3 they are counted as destroyed. If you are strategic placed around the board with your 9" bubbles denying them anywhere to bring their unit in then they will stay in reserves and disappear after round 3.

So we know there is a limitation that they can arrive in your opponents deployment zone turn1. The challenge becomes getting enough infiltrators to be able to push forward and zone out the opponent deployment zone (because they still can't drop within 9" of your models) AND getting to go first. While you are zoning out his deployment zone you can spread out your army out of your own deployment zone. With a number of armies now having advance and still fire at full effectiveness this makes the push out easier and doesn't necessarily impact your offense.

You can use your infiltrators to zone out 18" from the opponents board edge. You have your units that advanced, flew, moved really fast to zone out the next 18" between their DZ and your own and then you have your long range guys watching your back in your own deployment zone.

My this sounds like a lot of units required, if only people were rewarded for taking large numbers of units to make it more of an incentive ;)

Now you just have to stand your ground through a couple of rounds (probably unrealistic mostly). I think it is "possible" but I think it would rarely ever be successfully pulled off. I suppose the match up and what is in reserve would help determine if it was worth even trying such a tactic.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Zoning out your opponent

Postby MrScotty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:39 pm

The cosmic serpent wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm
I'm beginning to wonder if it is possible to completely zone out an opponents deepstrikers for the entire game. If an opponents units do not arrive by the end of battle round 3 they are counted as destroyed. If you are strategic placed around the board with your 9" bubbles denying them anywhere to bring their unit in then they will stay in reserves and disappear after round 3.

So we know there is a limitation that they can arrive in your opponents deployment zone turn1. The challenge becomes getting enough infiltrators to be able to push forward and zone out the opponent deployment zone (because they still can't drop within 9" of your models) AND getting to go first. While you are zoning out his deployment zone you can spread out your army out of your own deployment zone. With a number of armies now having advance and still fire at full effectiveness this makes the push out easier and doesn't necessarily impact your offense.

You can use your infiltrators to zone out 18" from the opponents board edge. You have your units that advanced, flew, moved really fast to zone out the next 18" between their DZ and your own and then you have your long range guys watching your back in your own deployment zone.

My this sounds like a lot of units required, if only people were rewarded for taking large numbers of units to make it more of an incentive ;)

Now you just have to stand your ground through a couple of rounds (probably unrealistic mostly). I think it is "possible" but I think it would rarely ever be successfully pulled off. I suppose the match up and what is in reserve would help determine if it was worth even trying such a tactic.
If you can prevent my deep strike by covering the entire board in units perfectly spaced 18" apart for three turns without losing a single squad, I will not only concede my 120 point 5-man unit of scourges, I will let you keep them, marbles-on-the-playground style.

"You may think you've won, Kaiba, but you discounted one thing! Your five-man assault marine squad has activated my trap card: Entire board covered in tau drones!

Now, 1,678 gun drones: ATTACK HIM DIRECTLY IN HIS LIFE POINTS!"
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Re: Zoning out your opponent

Postby The cosmic serpent » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:39 pm
The cosmic serpent wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm

If you can prevent my deep strike by covering the entire board in units perfectly spaced 18" apart for three turns without losing a single squad, I will not only concede my 120 point 5-man unit of scourges, I will let you keep them, marbles-on-the-playground style.

"You may think you've won, Kaiba, but you discounted one thing! Your five-man assault marine squad has activated my trap card: Entire board covered in tau drones!

Now, 1,678 gun drones: ATTACK HIM DIRECTLY IN HIS LIFE POINTS!"
lol trap card, makes me think of starcraft when all the zerglings pop out of the ground at once "surprise!"