Spring 40k FAQ Discussion Thread

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars + Inquisition

Re: Spring 40k FAQ Discussion Thread

Postby Darth Hoodie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Anyone wanna go back and play 7th edition with me? :)
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
PlaguemasterFlex
Officer
Name: Dave
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: CSM (Death Guard) + Daemons

Postby PlaguemasterFlex » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Darth Hoodie wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 pm
Rogue Trader or bust.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Darth Hoodie wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 pm
You'll take my non-marine subfaction traits and my viable wyches from my cold, dead hands.

If I were to bust out some oldhammer, it'd most likely be some of that crazy second edition goodness. The game kind of played like a hybrid of Shadow War Armageddon and full scale 40k, with a lot of crazy small detail cinematic action, like unique damage charts for every vehicle, you had to buy crewmen for vehicles (and if they got hit by a stray lascannon, another crewman had to spend the turn switching over to their job if you wanted whatever they were doing to keep happening, like say, steering the tank or firing the main gun).

The game took forever, and scaled up absolutely terribly, but man is second ed fun with a small force of a few squads, a couple tanks, and a couple heroes.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Another interesting thing I didn't notice in the FAQ that I saw pointed out: One of the notes in the new FAQ makes it much easier for vehicles to get cover saves.

Here, i'll just give you the FAQ or this will go on and on.

Q: Do units that are not Infantry (Vehicles, Monsters,
etc.) gain the benefit of cover from woods, ruins etc. if they are at
least 50% obscured by that piece of terrain but are not actually
on or within it?
A: No. Unless they are Infantry, such a unit must meet
the two following conditions to gain the benefit of cover:

• All of its models must be either on or within
the terrain.

• The unit must be at least 50% obscured from the point
of view of the firer (note that it doesn’t matter what is
obscuring the target, only that it is obscured).

Q: Can you clarify what the difference is between ‘wholly within’
and ‘within’ for rules purposes?

A: If a rule says it affects units/models that are ‘wholly
within’ then it only applies if the entire unit/model is
within. If it just says ‘within’, however, then it applies so
long as any part of the unit/model is within.
For example, units gain the benefit of cover if every
model in the unit is either on or within terrain. So long
as all the models in that unit are either on or partially
within the terrain, they gain the benefit of cover.

The change here is from WHOLLY on or within to EITHER on or within. So now, a vehicle that is even partially touching a terrain feature, as well as 50% obscured from the point of view of the firer (By anything, mind you, not just the terrain feature in question - could be different terrain, could be models) is in cover.

What this tells me is that if we get bases on all the existing gw ruin stuff, all our ruins are nicely playable as such without feeling bad or mad. small stuff can still be statues.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:31 am

MrScotty wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:14 pm

The change here is from WHOLLY on or within to EITHER on or within. So now, a vehicle that is even partially touching a terrain feature, as well as 50% obscured from the point of view of the firer (By anything, mind you, not just the terrain feature in question - could be different terrain, could be models) is in cover.
Scott, I just want to make sure I'm reading this right so I don't screw it up in a game. The predator here gets a cover save?
predator cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:54 am

That is correct. Hull down baby!
Game Preferences:
The Last Acton Hero

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:54 am
Awesome, thanks!

While putting together that graphic I thought of a follow up question. Last edition we had very strict rules about aiming weapons and moving turrets etc, whereas now none of that is mentioned. Can we move turrets or elevate guns at all this edition? I'm thinking of a situation where a tank hides behind a wall that's just taller than it to be out of LOS, but then on your turn you elevate the barrel skyward in an "up periscope" manuever to get LOS?
Memento
Name: Anthony
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Acton-Man wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm
MrScotty wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

While putting together that graphic I thought of a follow up question. Last edition we had very strict rules about aiming weapons and moving turrets etc, whereas now none of that is mentioned. Can we move turrets or elevate guns at all this edition? I'm thinking of a situation where a tank hides behind a wall that's just taller than it to be out of LOS, but then on your turn you elevate the barrel skyward in an "up periscope" manuever to get LOS?
I'm pretty sure this falls under Wheaton's Law. Again, the rules of this game assumes that both you and your opponent are approaching the game with benign intent. My particular view is that this might not necessarily be "cheating" per se. But it's certainly a dick move.
The Last Acton Hero

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Fair enough, it wasn't something I was planning on doing. I just enjoy dramatically aiming my predator turret at whatever I'm firing at while making the sounds of the electric traversal motors, even though there's no rules saying I can or can't do this.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Acton-Man wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm
MrScotty wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

haha. I think this probably falls under the same category as me using my flying upside-down clown bikers.

Similarly there was a post on the dark eldar forums encouraging people to respond to players using the "I am in a ruin, therefore I am invincible to assault" rule by tilting their Raider transports up on the opponent's turn (meaning enemy units would have to charge forward an extra 3" to get their bases within 1" of them) and tilting them down on your turn, so you can charge enemy models with the pointy tip.

Technically, last edition we did not have any rules at all about aiming weapons and moving turrets. We only started having stricter rules about turning vehicles around because of the infamous I think 5th edition Dark Eldar "Death-Pivot" strategy where you could set your boats up sideways along the deployment line and gain an extra 4" of movement turn one by turning them to face the enemy.

Thus continuing the grand tradition of 40-60% of the rules changes from one edition to the other being driven entirely by the actions of One Particular Wanker.
Game Preferences: