Spring 40k FAQ Discussion Thread

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars + Inquisition

Re: Spring 40k FAQ Discussion Thread

Postby Darth Hoodie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm

I read this whole thing as.

Deepstrike sucks now.

Drop Pods are now somehow even worse than they already were.

If I were to interject my two cents. I would wager that the easiest fix is to restrict command points and stratagems to ONLY the faction from which you draw your warlord. For example, here is my supa elite Custodes army that NEEDS stratagems to be at their most effective. Now here is 250 points of guardsmen to net me now 5 additional CPs and a CP farming refund/steal relic and WL trait.

I would make stratagems command points and warlords exclusive. You will only generate command points for the "detachment/s" drawn from your warlords codex and restrict the stratagems you can take to include the generic, mission specific and those available in your warlords codex. FURTHERMORE, I would rule out that if at any point your warlord is killed or not yet deployed you no longer have access to stratagems. I feel like this would do more to hamper the effectiveness of soup AND give an additional bonus to hunting down and slaying your opponents warlord.
Last edited by Darth Hoodie on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
Draaen
Name: Mark
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines

Postby Draaen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Sorry for making a redundant post! I didn't see the first.

I'm curious to see how the unit limitation would impact armies. 3 of any non-troop unit in an army is still a pretty healthy number. Some armies like farsight enclaves lists have two hq choices. With the commander limit they could never take 2 brigades. I traded for a bunch of bikes a long time ago for my white scars. Kind of need to figure out what the heck to do with them now.

I would be surprised to see the unit limitation rules interpreted so that attached drones count as part of the limit. In the instance of them being purchased by a unit they are more akin to wargear for the unit then a proper unit. I realize some wording may leave a grey area but I'd be surprised if someone said my army was illegal because of accompanying drones. I'd wait to let the dust settle on that one and seeing the general consensus before worrying about it.

The command point change for battalions and brigades is weird to me. I can already get to ludicrously high command points with Tau and anyone with a command point generator just got better. Guardsmen with their relic and warlord trait and relic command point generators starting with 20 CPs will have an almost unlimited supply. The argument about not benefiting as much at higher tiers I think is incorrect because it means I can use more powerful 2-3CP stratagems longer or more freely T1 if I was planning on rationing them out.

I'm on the fence about the deep strike beta rule. With the limitation on no more deep strike and additional movement for the warp time melee deep strike bombs are really hurting. Add in that you need to wait until turn 2 it means unless you have a way to increase your charge distance things like jump assault marines will be getting assaults in turn 3 typically. If you go second that's a rather rough trade off I think you are better off running across the board if you have the movement. Melee terminators though are going to need a ride or some patience and luck. Crisis suits or inceptors with mid range shooting may have to wait until turn 2 to come down and be effective. It's a big proposed change that would affect a lot of armies. Deepstrike has been one of the most powerful mechanics in the game though and there is a big difference between deep striking armies and non-deep striking armies so I'm curious to give this a try. Anything that dampens the 1st turn bonus seems big to me but I think this may have the opposite effect. A good beta strike strategy was leaving dudes in deep strike and bring them on for a counter punch. De-incentivizing that seems to me like it helps the 1st turn alpha strike by making less targets alpha resistant via deep strike. I feel like it could be good or bad so I'll just have to try it out.

I am a big fan of the smite change. Glad to see wimpy smites excepted and the super smite still capable of being cast.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Postby Kman2190 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:52 pm

I think the only thing that affects my wolves are the deep striking nerf and they're built around a beta strike approach so no worries here :D
FOR THE EMPEROR
PlaguemasterFlex
Officer
Name: Dave
Armies: CSM (Death Guard) + Daemons

Postby PlaguemasterFlex » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Ascion wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:45 pm
Yeah I'm pretty pissed the $100+ I just spent on Tzaangors without the ability to deepstrike/warptime them feels wasted.
Lol me too, literally primed them earlier today. It is an 8" charge out of deep strike though with the Brayhorn, so it's roughly 65-70% chance of success with a command reroll. Not as beautiful as with warptime but might still be ok. I've had to do it a handful of times warptime failed to go off. But definitely very unexpected change.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm

PlaguemasterFlex wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:43 pm
Ascion wrote:
Yeah I'm pretty pissed the $100+ I just spent on Tzaangors without the ability to deepstrike/warptime them feels wasted.
Lol me too, literally primed them earlier today. It is an 8" charge out of deep strike though with the Brayhorn, so it's roughly 65-70% chance of success with a command reroll. Not as beautiful as with warptime but might still be ok. I've had to do it a handful of times warptime failed to go off. But definitely very unexpected change.
You can always use Warp Fate in conjunction with the Command Reroll for a "full" Charge reroll.
PlaguemasterFlex
Officer
Name: Dave
Armies: CSM (Death Guard) + Daemons

Postby PlaguemasterFlex » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Memento wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm
PlaguemasterFlex wrote:
Ascion wrote:
You can always use Warp Fate in conjunction with the Command Reroll for a "full" Charge reroll.
Noice! Good thinking.
Ascion
Name: Alex N
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Thousand Sons

Postby Ascion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Memento wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm
PlaguemasterFlex wrote:
Ascion wrote:
Hmm can't seem to find it, what's Warp Fate? I was thinking Temporal Flux from the Mutalith Vortex Beast would be my best bet, but I don't own that model.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 pm

The more I read the finer details of this FAQ, the more I'm just confused what they were thinking they would fix with it.

one of the rulings, for example, would have made one of my games yesterday pretty much impossible to win, as the tactical squad, lieutenant and hellblasters sitting on a ruin would have been completely immune to everything my army can do. a whole army of flying supersonic jetbikes, hoverboards and ninja space elf acrobats would have been utterly incapable of scratching a couple squads of marines because of a 5-foot tall wall. All ruin terrain with small levels like...all of our ruin terrain basically amounts to a zone of total invincibility versus assault for any shooting unit.

Between that, the deep strike change, the "characters are invincible if you stick a tiny model out of LOS in front of them" change, and gunline hordes getting 80% more command points for free, I am not sure how GW expects the meta to not immediately switch to nothing but shooting armies all the time. And when that is already the lion's share of what you see in the game, I don't know why you release that as a "balance FAQ".
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
smbarne
Name: Stephen Barnes
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Raven Guard & Black Templar

Postby smbarne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:07 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 pm
The more I read the finer details of this FAQ, the more I'm just confused what they were thinking they would fix with it.

one of the rulings, for example, would have made one of my games yesterday pretty much impossible to win, as the tactical squad, lieutenant and hellblasters sitting on a ruin would have been completely immune to everything my army can do. a whole army of flying supersonic jetbikes, hoverboards and ninja space elf acrobats would have been utterly incapable of scratching a couple squads of marines because of a 5-foot tall wall. All ruin terrain with small levels like...all of our ruin terrain basically amounts to a zone of total invincibility versus assault for any shooting unit.

Between that, the deep strike change, the "characters are invincible if you stick a tiny model out of LOS in front of them" change, and gunline hordes getting 80% more command points for free, I am not sure how GW expects the meta to not immediately switch to nothing but shooting armies all the time. And when that is already the lion's share of what you see in the game, I don't know why you release that as a "balance FAQ".
The deep strike change is a very bad change in my opinion. As you stated, gunline armies, AM, Tau, and any army that can shoot and swarm is now in. If you're deep striking even shooty units such as Raptors devs or Inceptors then the rest of your army has to not be tabled by up to *two full turns* of ignore LOS fire across the board protected by layers of screens. I frankly think it also decreases the tactical complexity of proper screening to protect your army. I personally would have liked to see T1 deepstrike kept but try a beta approach to no second move - make it more risky.

As it is, I'm on the fence of finally calling on Codex Space Marines and trying another army. Nids have been on my mustang collect and paint list for a bit now. While my generalship could always be improved and I'm not trying to win *every* game, when chapter tactics are still limited but AM / Eldar traits aren't it's an uphill battle. Unless you want to run Gman and a ton of Hellblasters and hope you get T1.

Though one thing to note is that Raven Guard and Alpha Legion still have their pregame shenanigans. It cost CP and it is almost a win/loss gamble, but if you get first turn they can do what they did before and show up right outside your lines with an Alpha Strike. But if you don't get T1 you're too squishy at T4 3+.
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Postby Terminator_X » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Spotted in the back of the IA update

Are these new? I want 9 lmao.

Outflanking multiwound models with 4+ saves, 2/3 of which can take melta / plasma, AND they take up that pesky fast attack slot.