Spring 40k FAQ Discussion Thread

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Spring 40k FAQ Discussion Thread

Postby Memento » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:14 am

Memento

Re: Spring 40k FAQ Discussion Thread

Postby Memento » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 am

Games Workshop will be releasing the next 40k FAQ update later today. Please use this thread to express whatever range of reactions best suit you.

Good luck and may the FAQ be ever in your favor!
Ascion
Name: Alex N
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Thousand Sons

Postby Ascion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

I wont know till I play it but I have the feeling the deepstriking change is really going to hurt my thousand sons. I had been leaning pretty hard on the deepstrike crutch to feel competitive, yeah that hurts.

and I'm dead

From core rules FAQ:
Q: The rules for reinforcements say that when a unit is set up on
the battlefield as reinforcements, it cannot move or Advance
further that turn, but can otherwise act normally (shoot,
charge, etc.). ... Can such a unit move or Advance for any other reason
e.g. because of an ability such as The Swarmlord’s Hive
Commander ability, or because of a psychic power such as
Warptime
from the Dark Hereticus discipline, or because
of a Stratagem like Metabolic Overdrive from
Codex:
Ty r a n id s
, etc.?
A: No.

Goodbye tzaangors
Last edited by Ascion on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cosmic serpent
Name: Keith
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Eldar (CWE, DE, H), GK, Crons, Tau, AL

Postby The cosmic serpent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Wow the battle brothers rule is going to take the teeth out of some list builds.

Tide of traitors one use only can still be useful just no longer for farming cultist blobs to spawn pox walkers :lol:

I like the CP boosts on the battalion and brigade, will widen the gap between troop heaving armies and more elite armies. Although elite armies are somewhat already behind in this infantry blob edition. But at least this clearly spells out GW's intent on how they want their game to be played.

The points cost increase (a staggering 60%) on a warlock is ludicrous, there is no reason to take one over a spiritseer at all now.

In the Tau FAQ it looks like if you want a High output burst cannon you HAVE TO keep the missile pod as well, it's now worded you can replace the hobc AND missile pod with two systems or ranged weapons instead of and/or. This is why we magnetize things. either way my build costs are going up on my coldstars.

Tau homing beacons will not be useful turn 1 and will need to be used from turn 2 on tipping the risk/reward scale further toward more risk less reward.

They didn't exclude drones from the cap of 3 datasheets. Tau players will likely have less drones in their lists now. Not sure how this effects drones that are attached to vehicles? Maybe they get a pass? Otherwise you will want to swap the drones out for other secondary systems if you plan to use drones in other places in your army.
Last edited by The cosmic serpent on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Memento

Postby Memento » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Big FAQ is Up!

Postby Draaen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:03 pm

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... 018_en.pdf

It is big lots of changes.

Unit limit confirmed across the entire army. Troops and dedicated transports excepted

2 units 0-1000
3 units 1001-2000
4 units 2001-3000

Beta deep strike rule changes it to half your power level not unit count. And 1st turn only set up in your deployment zone unless you are the genestealer cult or raven guard forward deployment style stratagem.

Battalions 5 CPs
Brigades 12 CPs

Imperium, Chaos, Ynarri, Eldar and tyranids keywords don't count in the same detachment.

No stacking FNP and a bunch of other stuff.

That beta deep strike change really puts a damper on my white scars and the aggressive tau suit list. The commander limit is effectively the same for every other HQ choice. Although it sounds like captain in terminator armor, on a bike or regular lock and stock would all be separate entries.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Eisenfresser
Name: Steven Hirsch
Armies: IG Tanks

Postby Eisenfresser » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Thanks Anthony, I'm not sure you're helping :-D
Game preferences:
+1 to going first roll if you finish deploying first
All terrain is "statuary"
No First Blood - it's basically a bonus VP for going first
Current Beta rules

Army
4,500 points of Imperial Guard
2,800 of tanks alone
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Armies: Blood Angels

Re: Big FAQ is Up!

Postby Indy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Does the club have any official stance on Beta rules?

...besides "talk with your opponent before the game starts?"

When the Smite changes and Character targeting tweaks were Beta, (IMHO) they seemed like slight adjustments.

These Beta rules have some serious implications for various factions and builds. I applaud their attempt, but it seems a bit heavy handed.

i.e. rather than being restrictive with how many ingredients in a soup (pushing on a string), why not just give more stackable bonuses to mono-faction builds? (pulling on a string)?
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Lots of armies got beaten by a Nerf bat, others just got more command points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm

RAW the rule limits DATASHEETS, not models. That means that drones that are taken on a different datasheet are not all the same unit - they're a part of the devilfish or stealth suit team or whatever that purchased them even if after deployment they split.

Same with vehicle squadrons. You can have 3 leman Russ DATASHEETS, which means up to 9 russes that become autonomous when they deploy.

The only reason this 3 limit thing bugs me is...transports. Many armies are highly limited to their transports, and it's not exactly spamming if I take a unit of kabalites, a unit of wyches, a unit of incubi and a unit of Wracks and put them in 4 Raiders. That's just a goofy restriction, especially after you don't limit troops. It necessitates building your list in weird unfluffy ways to get around it rather than addressing the core problems of some units (primarily HQs, and troops that aren't affected at all) that are so good and spammable that they warrant just filling your list with.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!