Heroine in the Making and Indomitable Belief

"Wait...is that right?!" Why not ask? This is the place to share a rules question (or revelation) you learned at the table.
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Heroine in the Making and Indomitable Belief

Postby spruter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:03 pm

In the codex there's the following option:
Heroine in the Making (1 CP): After picking your warlord, pick another Sororitas character who isn’t a named character or your warlord and give them a warlord trait.

Could you pick the same warlord trait for a different character so for example could I have 2 Canonesses with Indomitable belief to give my sisters a 4++ so I don't need Saint Celestine?

Or In a less Cheesy fashion could I have a separate order with a Canoness that gives off an additional Indomitable Belief so both orders can benefit from a 4++?

Nowhere in the rules does it say I can't have 2 of the same warlord traits in an army, but something feels wrong about it so I wanted to double check.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Heroine in the Making and Indomitable Belief

Postby MrScotty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Um... huh. My thousand sons just got the exact same rule, and it just specifies it can only be used once per game and like you said, not a named character and not already your warlord.

So i guess..theoretically?
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
spruter

Postby spruter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:23 pm

That would be huge for non VH factions as they can save 160 points on giving them a psuedo VH faction trait.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm

spruter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:23 pm
That would be huge for non VH factions as they can save 160 points on giving them a psuedo VH faction trait.
IMO the strength of VH is that Sisters' armor saves are very "spiky." it's kind of like if you have reroll 1s to hit and you manage to get to BS2+, you become INCREDIBLY good all of a sudden. VH sisters, in cover, in range of a banner, are nearly immovable for their points. What do you shoot at them? Ap0? They've got a 2+ save against that! AP-3? you're killing 10ppm models that still get a 5+ with your plasma.

A 3+/4++ to me, comparatively, is very lacking compared to ignore AP-2. It's not bad, but IMO it's a lot worse. AP-1 and AP-2 is the value armies tend to have en masse and at lower strength values - units like dakka castellans, intercessors, genestealers and cultists, etc.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
spruter

Postby spruter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:30 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm
A 3+/4++ to me, comparatively, is very lacking compared to ignore AP-2. It's not bad, but IMO it's a lot worse. AP-1 and AP-2 is the value armies tend to have en masse and at lower strength values - units like dakka castellans, intercessors, genestealers and cultists, etc.
My argument is with the inclusion of a 3+/4++ also with ignore ap -1 banner all ap -1 is ap 0 and all ap-2 and above are effectively ap -1. So while I can't spread my army into 3 bubbles like the valorous heart can I still have a doom ball that can take shots really well. What the other factions will have that valorous doesn't is:

Martyred lady - More miracle dice and units hitting on a 2+
Sacred Rose - an absurd amount of miracle dice, massive blobs that can make multiple acts of faith, and chreubs constantly turning temporary miracle dice to permanent ones on a 5+
Argent Shroud - Heavy flamer squads with an effective range of 24"
Ebon Chalice - not useful with that strategy
Bloody Rose - ap -1 hand flamers and other crazy melee

Edit: not to say that valorous heart isn't the obvious choice, but I want to believe that the other factions are also viable.
PlaguemasterFlex
Officer
Name: Dave
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: CSM (Death Guard) + Daemons

Postby PlaguemasterFlex » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:58 am

spruter wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:03 pm
In the codex there's the following option:
Heroine in the Making (1 CP): After picking your warlord, pick another Sororitas character who isn’t a named character or your warlord and give them a warlord trait.

Could you pick the same warlord trait for a different character so for example could I have 2 Canonesses with Indomitable belief to give my sisters a 4++ so I don't need Saint Celestine?

Or In a less Cheesy fashion could I have a separate order with a Canoness that gives off an additional Indomitable Belief so both orders can benefit from a 4++?

Nowhere in the rules does it say I can't have 2 of the same warlord traits in an army, but something feels wrong about it so I wanted to double check.
The stratagem says each WL trait must be unique, so you can't do it.
spruter

Postby spruter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:25 am

Yeah, before I posted I read the rules twice. I don't know how my brain skipped over that.