1/14/18: The Great Tzeentch Vs Nurgle Grudge Match!

Played a game? Post your battle reports here for discussion!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

1/14/18: The Great Tzeentch Vs Nurgle Grudge Match!

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:03 am

Andrew and I played a great game this sunday with our respective Chaos armies. 2500 points, we played the Ascension mission from the new Chapter Approved's eternal war list, as the champions of our respective chaos gods both sought to obtain glory and favor with their patron.

Both armies included forces from the Chaos Marines and the Daemons of their respective god, with Tzeentch daemons backing up swarms of mutated Tzaangor cultists and Thousand Sons space marines, and the Daemons of Nurgle supported by the mighty primarch Mortarion and his Death Guard war engines.

Both armies were painted up and gorgeous (I have cunningly hidden from the photos the two small units still gray that I have left to do for my army, and Andrew's was fully and disgustingly resplendent) so I mostly just wanted to show the photos.

The game was fairly straightforward, and mostly decided by the scarier nurgle units (Poxwalker+Plaguebearer combo plus a few nasty big daemons) charging into the tanky, tough to kill Horror unit, and the squishier, less threatening nurgle units (Cultists and Nurglings) getting into combat with the Tzaangors and getting chopped to bits. Also, pretty much every psychic power cast by either side was opposed by a Deny roll, which prevented Mortarion from getting all his defensive buffs up on himself, so he got shot down by anti tank weaponry and my Lord of Change-turned-Daemon Prince on turn 3. The game ended turn 5 with a score of 8 to 5 in favor of Tzeentch, but with the Tzeentch army in a much better position had the game continued.

Overall, a very cool, thematic game, and I definitely look forward to seeing Andrew's stuff again on the table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard

Re: 1/14/18: The Great Tzeentch Vs Nurgle Grudge Match!

Postby Terminator_X » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am

How did you guys like the new codex? Did it change the feel of the armies much?
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Terminator_X wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 am
How did you guys like the new codex? Did it change the feel of the armies much?
I can't speak much to nurgle (to me, they're one of those armies like Tyranids that have names for their weapons and units that are so similar and difficult to differentiate that I can't form much of a lasting impression. I can't tell a pusgrobbling slop-flail from a slimespewing bilegargler so I don't know if the codex changed much) but Tzeentch I feel was balanced fairly elegantly. It went from a situation where Brimstone horrors and changeling were busted, and everything else was pretty crappy/overpriced, to now where it feels like there's a time and a place to use pretty much every unit available. I'm no daemon expert, but from the perspective of Tzeentch everything seems pretty good. The psychic powers are a little boring I suppose considering how much cooler stuff like the Eldar Runes of Fate table is, but it works and when you combine it with the CSM powers so you have two tables to work off of, you've got a good toolkit available.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
PrideofVulkan
Name: Andrew
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: 30k Salamanders

Postby PrideofVulkan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Nurgle thoughts: plaguebearers are great for their points. I forgot the cloud of flies rule for them and even with that, they held up the horrors, changeling, Tzeentch chariot character, and were just rock solid. typhus and poxwalkers were a good hammer to go along with that anvil.

The GUO is tough as nails.

Mortarion is very hot/cold. I didn’t use the demon stratagem to buff his invulnerable save or bring a warptime caster because I don’t want to play ITC in a fun game. That meant focus fire he dies in a round of psychic, shooting, and assault.

I’m excited for the snail and the trees. Advancing and still charging would be a huge benefit. I also hope I can get my drones built and painted so I have more speed.