Konor Mission 2: Cadians v Thousand Sons

Played a game? Post your battle reports here for discussion!
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Konor Mission 2: Cadians v Thousand Sons

Postby Anacrucis » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:38 pm

So this past Saturday Alex and I got a game in for Konor week 2 (Anthony: it occurs to me this might not have been reported.)

My list was as follows:
- Ahriman (no disc)
- Daemon Prince (2x talons, prescience)
- 2x 15 man rubric squads with inferno boltguns (aspiring sorcerers had inferno bolt pistols and force swords)
- 8 man rubric squad with warpflamers (sorcerer had warpflame pistol and force stave)
- hellforged Sicaran
- hellforged Scorpius
- 5 man scarab occult with soul reaper cannon and hellfyre launcher
Plus some daemons for summoning. As this was not a Matched Play game I didn't pay reinforcements points for these but I did clear this with Alex before getting started.

Alex had a full Brigade detachment WITH a super heavy(!!) his list was something like:
- Creed
- Malleus terminator inquisitor
- whatever the Scions hq is
- scions command squad
- crusaders
- astropath
- at least one scions squad with plasma
- at least three infantry squads with heavy bolters
- three sentinels with hv. flamers
- wyvern
- basilisk
- manticore
- salamander scout vehicle
- the HECKHAMMER - with 4 twin hvy flamer sponsons in addition to its default complement.

Deployment:

We made a map using all the plastic buildings (yay Saturday!) and the giant canyon formation piece which we played as Craters - this was the bombed out manufacturing facility that Chaos was defending per the scenario background.

I castled my guys up in there, with my Sekhmet terminators in the teleportarium.

Alex put his scions on his (abstract) air transports and some guard squads in reserve, and castled up in the buildings in his own deploy zone with his heavy weapon equipped squads and artillery. He deployed his sentinels on the pickets and his heckhammer front and center, backed by the salamander and inquisitorial elements.
IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG
Turn 1

Alex had the initiative, and his artillery started in on my bunkered up troops while his offensive elements began slowly advancing and his sentinels moved to flanking positions. As predicted, the rubrics were tough to crack but they took some casualties from the squad in front.

On my turn, I brought in my terminators in the back field no mans land on his side of the table, with the intent of destroying one sentinel and possibly moving on to his flank.

The DP unsuccessfully attempted to summon the Flamers, and Ahriman successfully summoned the Screamers but took a mortal wound for the effort.

I used the scorpius' indirect fire to attack his salamander, and concentrated the rest of my firepower on his other sentinels. My goal here was that a) I wanted to grab some quick VPs early on, and b) I thought destroying the salamander would be easier than destroying the super heavy, and would de-fang it (always kill the buffers before the tank).

Everything that didn't have a better target shot his super heavy, and managed to do 10 wounds to it. If I had just concentrated fire power on that to begin with, I would have saved myself a lot of hurt later. Especially since with some mediocre rolling, I wasn't able to score a single kill on any of the lighter units I targeted.
IMG_2911.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG
Turn 2... and beyond

In turn 2 stuff started dying. The Hellhammer got into range and really started pounding my forces. Not enough to destroy any units outright but, combined with the indirect artillery, enough to do some serious damage. Meanwhile his air dropping scions came in to challenge my terminators. Bottom of two I managed to clean up some of the damaged units I'd been trying to kill on turn one and scored 6 Vp.

Turn three, though, he evened that up fast and hit me back harder, taking down my sicaran, one squad of rubrics, and the terminators. At some point Ahriman went down - I think in the melee with his super heavy and my ... almost everything else.

Turns 4-5 the tables looked like they might turn, with me finally destroying the hellhammer, and starting to take a toll on his other forces. But the flamed squad of rubrics I sent out to deal with his scions eventually lost the attrition war to his plasma, and my daemons really just wound up giving him more kill points. By the end of turn 5 the forces of the Thousand Sons still held strong in their crater, with a sizeable number of rubrics and the scorpius still putting out a volume of fire, but Cadia was closing the noose.

End of the game (we did not roll for random game length as I had to leave) it was something like 17-15 Imperium.

This was my first game with points, and as much as I like the power level concept, I have to say it felt much more balanced. Probably because my 1987 point list, while being well under 2000 we agreed on, clocks in at 111 power. Which helps to explain why I've been struggling so much with it against 100 pl lists.
IMG_2915.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terminator_X
Name: Alex
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Imperial Guard

Re: Konor Mission 2: Cadians v Thousand Sons

Postby Terminator_X » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Those rubric marines are something! You have to hit them with anti tank weapons to make a dent and the squads don't cap at 10. Scorpius was a consistent hitter, as was the sicaran. Mortal wounds from HQs were just impossible to deal with. Do you have a contemptor? Shootin Putin brought one against the super-heavy and it was an all star performer. I noticed that your rubrics stop being scary as soon as you close the gap with them, so maybe a little anti tank capable melee punch would be beneficial.

Do you get any cool bonuses from the new codex?
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Re: Konor Mission 2: Cadians v Thousand Sons

Postby Anacrucis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 am

Terminator_X wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:27 pm
Those rubric marines are something! You have to hit them with anti tank weapons to make a dent and the squads don't cap at 10. Scorpius was a consistent hitter, as was the sicaran. Mortal wounds from HQs were just impossible to deal with. Do you have a contemptor? Shootin Putin brought one against the super-heavy and it was an all star performer. I noticed that your rubrics stop being scary as soon as you close the gap with them, so maybe a little anti tank capable melee punch would be beneficial.

Do you get any cool bonuses from the new codex?
Yeah the rubrics are tough and shooty, but against your hellhammer they're basically regular marines in melee. And the only melee weapon options they have is force staff, sword, or axe, on the aspiring sorcerer. That said, against anything doing D1 in melee, they're still hard to kill.

The scorpius is one of my favorites, though up against basilisks and manticores it might not be too points efficient. Basically a 12 power model doing the work of two models that cost less than half that each.

The sicaran did really well this game. It's one of my favorites too because it's so pretty, and it makes me sad that it gets target prioritized. But that's not really a reason to leave it at home.

I do have a contemptor, but I don't have all the weapons put together and magnetized yet. Right now he just has two twin autocannon, which are actually quite good, but I left him home this time in favor of the scarab occuts. He would have been useful though.

As for the new codex... the short answer is No, Thousand Sons do not get anything in the new codex because apparently they're getting their own at some point (same deal with Death Guard except their "some point" is, like, two weeks away.)

Longer answer is that, for various reasons going back to when I started planning this army back in 7th, I may be restructuring the list to play out of the new codex anyway, at least until the Thousand Sons codex drops. If I can find a way to do so that doesn't feel too powergamey and unfluffy.