Crowning Moments of Awesome

Played a game? Post your battle reports here for discussion!
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Crowning Moments of Awesome

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Had my first game back this Friday and it was a doozy at 2500 points. The absolute best moment (for me) had to have been when my knight gallant (with the paragon gauntlet) hit and wounded a rhino with all 5 attacks leading me to say, "that's 40 damage, no save". I'm not sure if there's many other ways to do that level of overkill in 40k, but it there are I'd like to hear about it below.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Crowning Moments of Awesome

Postby MrScotty » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:58 pm

The Last Acton Hero wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Had my first game back this Friday and it was a doozy at 2500 points. The absolute best moment (for me) had to have been when my knight gallant (with the paragon gauntlet) hit and wounded a rhino with all 5 attacks leading me to say, "that's 40 damage, no save". I'm not sure if there's many other ways to do that level of overkill in 40k, but it there are I'd like to hear about it below.
in 7th edition, I had a Harlequin Solitaire use the Precision Strikes rule to target a Priest attached to a 50-man guard blob (making them fearless). He killed the priest and a couple more guardsmen, meaning they had to make a LD check at -3. They failed, and the solitaire's initiative for the sweeping advance roll-off was a 10 vs 3, so my opponent just needed to roll a 7 on the dice to get away...

They did not, and 47 guardsmen were swept by one murder ninja clown.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Postby Kman2190 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:19 pm

The Last Acton Hero wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Let me regale you with the tale of Angrim the Stormborn. In one game of 7th ed, my Rune Priest earned his name when he took on and held his own against 90+ ork boyz. The Orks could bring one immense unit of every boy they could muster and this player had something like 80 or 90 boys in one unit.

Well during the game, my Rune Priest got stuck in with this Green Horde and 7th ed had the worst rules for close combat because my lone Rune Priest managed to lock them down for 2 full turns! The boyz couldn't get past his 2+ armor save and his AP 4 staff just cut through the boyz' tshirt save.

So it ended up with my badass Viking Gandalf single handedly fighting off a Green Tide; cutting them down with his staff with one hand and popping off lighting with the other :)
FOR THE EMPEROR
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Armies: Black Templars

Postby Darth Hoodie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 pm

A lone Fire Dragon Exarch back in 7th Edition managed to shake off something like a dozen Lascannon shots and blow up a Trio of Predators all on his lonesome over the course of as many turns. I think Spencer still has PTSD from that game. Guy really decided to step up and put the team on his back. Casually darting from cover to cover while turning Predators into craters back in the glory days of 7th Edition with Eldar Battle focus and the SUPER BROKEN "explodes on a 4+" from a pen Fire Pike.
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Blood Angels

Postby Indy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

My third game ever at the club, Mephiston stabbed a Tau Piranha so hard it Exploded and killed another 5-6 models in each of two of his nearby squads as well as killing 3 in a squad of my own. Mephiston walked away undamaged #likeaboss

One of my captains w/ jump, combi-melta, and TH charged a Stormtalon, killed it in combat, then consolidated/Honored the Chapter into a 2nd Stormtalon nearby. Probably my single favorite cinematic depiction of why I love "my dudes." Also a bit of a hipster moment for me since this was pre-Captain Smash era, ala before the Codex dropped and such a name existed.

Killing the notorious Captain S**********r, if anyone recalls that build from 7th ed Iron Hands. The sheer amount of firepower and maneuvering it took to barely get that guy down was the closest thing to conducting an orchestra I'll ever experience.
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Let's see...

In 7th I was playing in a tournament once where a Stormfang or Stormwolf (I forget which one) blew up a Piranha while it had like 6 units around it and I killed a bunch of the people in all of the units, that was pretty cool.

Captain Sandtiger Emberdrake killed a Nurgle Daemon Prince 1v1 all by his lonesome once when I played against Dave Pesce. I'm still proud of that moment. He also (with the help of 8 Tactical Marines taking Overwatch for him and maybe taking 1 wound off? I forget) has killed a Necron Catacomb Command Barge by charging it, hurting it in round 1 of the combat, Honouring the Chapter and killing it in Round 2 of that combat.

Vulkan He'stan defeated Kharn, the Betrayer when Kharn had S9 and 9 attacks, as well as a Chaos boon that granted -1 to hit to attacks targeting him, and survived the battle with Khorne forces once, I think Spencer still is in disbelief about that, lol... Vulkan just does NOT care what Kharn has lol...
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Armies: Black Templars

Postby Darth Hoodie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am
One of my captains w/ jump, combi-melta, and TH charged a Stormtalon, killed it in combat, then consolidated/Honored the Chapter into a 2nd Stormtalon nearby. Probably my single favorite cinematic depiction of why I love "my dudes." Also a bit of a hipster moment for me since this was pre-Captain Smash era, ala before the Codex dropped and such a name existed.
HEY WE NEVER TALK ABOUT THAT!
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
Wazzgit
Name: Eric Carlson
Armies: Orks

Postby Wazzgit » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:33 pm

So, this isn't 40k, but is still GW and one of the most awesome and hilarious things I've seen happen in a game.

Waaaaay back in the early mists of time and the mid 90s, I was playing a game of Warhammer Fantasy with my Skaven. My opponent had brought his Chaos army. This was back when it was just Chaos. Not Chaos Deamons or Warriors or Beastmen. Just all of that under one banner. I went second and decided to open up my shooting phase with my unit of warpfire throwers (you could field them as a separate unit on there own then). So the first team of ratmen fire their oversized radioactive bellows-powered flamethrower at his Chaos Knights and cook one to a glowing cinder. Nice. The second misfires and hoses itself down and dies... Eh, more rat monsters where he comes from. The third also misfires.... It should at this point be noted the when a misfire happened you would roll on a chart. This stupid git panics and runs in a random direction into the middle of my central block of clanrats and explodes in a mushroom cloud. The 4th and final one just misses.

Did I mention that Panic was a rule in Fantasy? And that warpfire throwers automatically cause a panic check when they cause a casualty for any reason?
So my clanrats run off the table. Also Panic is catching... My Stormverin run, my Rat Ogres run, and down the line. The Chaos Knights run, causing the Warriors and beastmen and the FREAKING BLOODTHIRSTER to flee off the table.

At the end of my first shooting phase there was 1 unit of frenzied plague monks and a Khorne Lord on a juggernaut still on the table. Oh and that ONE warfire thrower team that paid attention during training.

We called it a draw and set back up after we stopped laughing.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Wazzgit wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:33 pm
So, this isn't 40k, but is still GW and one of the most awesome and hilarious things I've seen happen in a game.

Waaaaay back in the early mists of time and the mid 90s, I was playing a game of Warhammer Fantasy with my Skaven. My opponent had brought his Chaos army. This was back when it was just Chaos. Not Chaos Deamons or Warriors or Beastmen. Just all of that under one banner. I went second and decided to open up my shooting phase with my unit of warpfire throwers (you could field them as a separate unit on there own then). So the first team of ratmen fire their oversized radioactive bellows-powered flamethrower at his Chaos Knights and cook one to a glowing cinder. Nice. The second misfires and hoses itself down and dies... Eh, more rat monsters where he comes from. The third also misfires.... It should at this point be noted the when a misfire happened you would roll on a chart. This stupid git panics and runs in a random direction into the middle of my central block of clanrats and explodes in a mushroom cloud. The 4th and final one just misses.

Did I mention that Panic was a rule in Fantasy? And that warpfire throwers automatically cause a panic check when they cause a casualty for any reason?
So my clanrats run off the table. Also Panic is catching... My Stormverin run, my Rat Ogres run, and down the line. The Chaos Knights run, causing the Warriors and beastmen and the FREAKING BLOODTHIRSTER to flee off the table.

At the end of my first shooting phase there was 1 unit of frenzied plague monks and a Khorne Lord on a juggernaut still on the table. Oh and that ONE warfire thrower team that paid attention during training.

We called it a draw and set back up after we stopped laughing.
LMFAO THAT IS AMAZING
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines

Postby Draaen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:16 pm

I have two stories. Although these are from warhammer fantasy. I had my chaos army and really liked warriors and chariots. I had two heroes who were almost always in my army that rode in chariots the khorne champion Jimbo and the Tzeentch champion Bob. They usually rode on opposite flanks and were major damage dealers for my army.

So one day I am playing a 2 on 2 game against my brothers lizardmen and some high elves. I can't remember my ally but our left flank which had Jimbo and his chariot on it got absolutely wrecked turn 1 from spells and shooting leaving only Jimbo staring down a large number of saurus warriors supported with heroes. Rather then whine Jimbo said more skulls for me and proceeded to destroy one unit of saurus warriors after another. When there were no more enemies on the flank for him to kill he moved to the center and started running over the high elves shooting contingent. Everything lined up perfectly for him to get into combat run them down then overrun into another. Jimbo killed over 2000 points of models that day and was thus became Jimbo the great.

Shortly thereafter I was playing a chaos army that had a lot of beastmen and a tooled out Daemon Prince. Bob ran down some beastmen to get to the Daemon Prince (a truly horrifying melee combatant that edition). Challenges were thrown the duel raged and Bob's chariot was destroyed Bob was wounded before finally striking down the prince. When the model was removed a sparkle was found on the mat where the daemon prince once stood. I claimed the sparkle as a prize put it on Bobs pointy finger to commemorate the accomplishment.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.