Magnus versus imperial knight

Played a game? Post your battle reports here for discussion!
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Magnus versus imperial knight

Postby Anacrucis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:59 am

I don’t have a full batrep prepared, but I had a game at a friends house yesterday where my thousand sons finally felt like they were playing the way they’re supposed to. Magnus with the +2s/+1a spell did 8 unsaved wounds to a death-hexed knight for 24 damage in one go.

I was confident that he could go toe to toe with that monster but I wasn’t expecting that.

EDIT: I should add that we were playing Open War and pulled the twist card that gave EVERYONE +1a, all the time. It was pretty epic.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Magnus versus imperial knight

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 am

After our boys got full strength smite, I've been right pleased by the Thousand Sons ability to carry most of their damage on the backs of their psykers rather than needing lots of "real" anti tank. The one thing you do really need is some kind of additional element to provide anti horde firepower and screening. I've had success with a few setups - big horde of tzaangors, big horde of pink horrors, or a small screen of cheapo horrors paired with six Flamers of Tzeentch sitting in deep strike waiting to come down and fwoomf any pesky chaff hordes off the table.

That isn't to say Thousand Sons cant do anti tank decently well if they want to. They arguably have the best Land Raiders of anybody in the game (because they have Prescience, tons of reroll 1s to hit auras, and the -1 to hit power), Defilers are great, Contemptor dreads are solid, Quadlas predators are solid, basically anything shooty you can take and sit in a reroll aura and cast some spells on works good. but you can just take all psykers and go to town.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Anacrucis
Name: Dave R
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: BA, RG, IoM, Nids, Eldar

Postby Anacrucis » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am

Interesting. My land raider never quite makes the cut due to how expensive it is, but you’re right, there are a lot of force multipliers available for it now.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:07 am

Anacrucis wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am
Interesting. My land raider never quite makes the cut due to how expensive it is, but you’re right, there are a lot of force multipliers available for it now.
The problem with land raiders is A) they need a lot of active screening to stay relevant, and B) they hate second turn even more than magnus does. And they also kind of preclude putting magnus in the list because you kind of need all the defensive spells on magnus if you run him. Land raider without -1 to hit is a much easier to kill land raider.

They are however much more synergistic with Thousand Sons specific units if you want to run pure sons instead of sons+daemons. Maggie loves his daemon allies because hes got a squillion powers and has access to the daemon buffing powers like flickering flames and boon of change, which he can use to boost up a big blob of pink horrors that's providing a screen for him. He also likes having a daemon detachment around because Changeling can buff him with a Feel no Pain roll, which he certainly likes to have.

Replacing magnus with a land raider plus a rubric squad rolling inside it lets you fill a similar role (magnus usually rolls out and tries to blow up a big heavy thing, chaos land raider is all about blowing up a big heavy thing) but it lets you run purer thousand sons lists because you can screen with a big cultist blob instead of a big horror blob, and use your Weaver of Fates cast on the cultists (since land raiders rarely need Weaver of Fates, since they get a 5+ save against Lascannons anyway with their 2+ armor).

If you told me "hey, I want to run as close to el classico thousand sons list as possible, while still standing a decent chance in the club" I would tell you to run a battalion with a wingaling daemon prince, magnus on foot +extra sorceror, 10 rubrics with a soulreaper with a Terminator sorceror, min sized cultist unit, max sized cultist unit, Land Raider, and a unit of 10 scarab terminators. That gets you easily to 1750 points, gives you plenty of what Thousand Sons are really good at (smashing things with mortal wounds) good ways to mitigate what thousand sons aren't good at (going second, clearing hordes of cheap crap) and lets you bring units of rubric stuff without feeling like you're gimping yourself. to get to 2k, just add a heldrake, makes a wonderful distraction for your land raider.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!