Cities of Death Campaign Write Up

Played a game? Post your battle reports here for discussion!
Draaen
Name: Mark
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Re: Cities of Death Campaign Write Up

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:01 pm

My game for week 3 is in the books for command of the shuttle port special location. This location gives 4 strategy points which is quite significant, will allow the owner to attack diagonally for free and is resistant to a lot of auto win or destroy cards. I will attempt to replay my week 2 game with someone next week.

Game Setup
There were a couple effects that would be global.

Pollution - A multitude of debuffs notably half range, -1 T in the open and -1 to hit.
Earthquake - No advance
No Invul saves within 12" of center

My opponent got a free relic and can reroll seizes

The mission should have been a narrative mission which would have given my opponent almost no chance to win. Instead we decided to play Narrow the search since it made sense for the territory. Narrow the search is basically progressive scoring in an ever shrinking radius from the center. Due to the impact on our armies and the friendly change in mission the Pollution and earthquake would come into effect turn 2. Narratively I was trying to call in the manta after being surprised by resistance and the genestealer cult jammers made the Manta bomb the wrong area. The resulting explosions shook the ground burst pipes and caused the acid rain and fog.

His Army:
Patriarch (Grandpa)
- +1 Power
- +1 Spell to Cast
- Re-roll 1s
- -1 to hit
- +1 Attack

Rock Grinder
5 Flamer Dudes
2 x 10 acolytes with mining laser and 2 grenade launchers
1 x 10 acolytes with flamers and shotguns
1 x 15 genestealers
2 x 15 hybrids with rock claws
2 x 8 Abberrants one with picks the other with hammers
Sentinel with flamer
Aberrant character
Iconward
Magus
Kelermorph
Planner Dude
Vox Caster dude

Deployment
We got table quarters for deployment. I chose the back right quarter and my opponent fully deployed in blips or in deep strike reserve.

On a tactical note this is I believe the most important phase of the game. So I was faced with an enemy who is going first and has essentially null deployed me. There is an 18" or less gap from our deployment zones which genestealers can reliably accomplish into ruins. He has a lot of obsec bodies and so do I so I will need to protect mine while damaging his. Therefore kroot become really important. I also don't want to get totally flanked so I will need to set up deep strike denial zones.

Therefore I deploy my mech ball slightly to the right of center and about a foot or so up from the board edge. My kroot deploy on the right next up to the deployment bubble with a ruin to fall back into if I do not seize. A second unit of kroot is on the right between a building and a ruin with a piranha behind the building. 3 stealth suits deployed on a building on my left flank, 3 stealth suits deploy into the ruins in front of the kroot and the ghostkeel deploys in the back right corner.

He reinforces the central building to counteract the pollution and I do the 18" deepstrike denial on my central objective and the deny a power on the building to the left of my deployment zone my stealth suits are in.

Tactically I plan to zone him out of the right flank with drones and push up the middle. Faster elements will push his deep strikers further back. Very similar to the strategy discussed in the previous post. My largest concern is his large number of obsec bodies.

I fail to seize and the kroot fall back to their safe positions

His Turn 1
My opponent reveals his blips and plays a stratagem to get more models in deepstrike. From left to right on the bubble Flamer squad, Mining Laser Squad, Grampa, Genestealers, Rock truck with flamer dudes, Sentinel and a mining laser squad on some ruins in the back right.

My opponent dashes up his genestealer cult up the center. making it into threat range of my kroot and shield drone squads. The rest of his army moves into the center except for the mining laser squad in the back ruins who just lines up some better shots.

Psychic sees might from beyond cast on the genestealers and 1 wound onto a devilfish from mental onslaught. I deny nothing.

His shooting does little to no damage maybe killing a stealth suit. I had played a +1 to saves cities of death stratagem on them which really made them hard to shift. He assaults his genestealers into a unit of 4 drones and kills them. 3 Genestealers die in the return fire as he gets next to the kroot in the building.

My Turn 1
Montka is declared and the mechball moves up. Of note the left piranha flies to the extreme left flank and the right flank piranha leaves its drones behind and it flies up next to the rock truck. Erasmus lines up the sentinel and genestealers and the cold star lines up the rock truck and sentinel. Right kroot move into cover that the right stealth suits clear out from. I let out 10 of my fire warriors and a fireblade. All the marker drones hop out of the vehicles. ghostkeel shuffles up the flank lining up the rockgrinder.

Shooting sees his rock truck die, flamer acolyte squad die, genestealers die, mining laser squad in ruins die, 3/5 flamer dudes die and 6 mining laser dudes in the center die. I do not declare any assaults. All my kroot are within 18" of the center

We both scored first blood and I had more obsec troops within 18" so I got the progressive point.
My Score: 2
His Score: 1
Field Position: He cannot get my commanders this turn nor my piranha. I have zoned him out and had an exceptional 1st turn. I now have the most bodies in good position so I am happy. Not to get
too cocky though cause he should have a good counter punch and the acid rain is coming.

His Turn 2
The pollution and the earthquake come into effect. He gets back all 6 dudes from his mining laser squad. His patriarch moves back. Abberants, abberrant boss, flag guy and some other buffer appear within 9" of the piranha on the left. The two 15 man saw squads appear on the right flank with the magus and his vox caster guy. Kelermorph appears with a good bead on my cadre fireblade.

Shooting and psychic was ineffective besides the fireblade dying. Assaults saw his aberrants get into the piranha on the left flank, one rock saw squad hit my forward devilfish in the center and the final rocksaw squad fail to get into the ghostkeel. The devilfish and piranha die with little return damage. Of note both of the piranha drones die getting out so there is a gap in my deep strike bubble.

My Turn 2
Left stealth suits hop down further on the left flank and line up the aberrants hoping to maybe pull someone out of position and expand the deepstrike denial bubble. Erasmus lands on a high tower overlooking the kelermorph. The central kroot move to the top of the ruins next to the kelermorph. The fusion commander and piranha fly next to the magus. The embarked fire warriors and fireblade get out of the fish and everything in the mechball minus the sniper drones and riptide move forward a bit to get into optimal shooting range of the forward chainsaw squad.

Shooting sees the Kelermorph, forward saw squad, the magus and the lone flamer dude dude die. The mining laser squad is reduced to one model but will be immune to morale because of the patriarch.

I had more obsec troops within 18" so I got the progressive point.
My Score: 3
His Score: 1
Field Position: He needs to make a long charge to get to me with the aberrants I have removed most of the important elements and his second unit of aberrants will be so far out of position as to be inconsequential. His patriarch however is really going to need to die.

His Turn 3
Patriarch and aberrants move up the center. He gets 1 of the mining laser squad back. His back rocksaw squad goes after the cold star commander. The aberrants come in on the back left flank lining up my stealth suits. His other characters move in for support.

Psychic sees two drones die. Shooting is ineffective. Assault sees the patriarch kill a fire warrior squad and leave one at 1 model. The Aberrants kill the central stealth suits and chill in the ruins to avoid the effects of acid rain. The aberrant character made his charge against the left stealth suits and kills all but the squad leader with the fusion blaster. The fusion blaster commander and piranha die.

My Turn 3
The mechball moves up to get within rapid fire range of the aberrants and patriarch. The ghostkeel lines up his shots against the aberrants. Shooting sees the aberrants, mining laser and patriarch die. With that my opponent concedes.

After Shooting Complete:

Breakdown
So the plan worked out well. Talking it over with my opponent afterwards he felt the no advance really affected the way he could play since he got +2 to his advance rolls. The rain made it difficult at the end to kill stiff but I was always able to slow down the flow of his troops to a manageable level. He also thinks against my list he may be better off deploying everything at once and I tend to agree,

I felt pretty in control of the game. I was able to confidently mark up multiple targets so that I could ignore cover on one and get 5 on the other. A fast melee army in the rain was what I was most concerned about and I was able to handle it well. I also handled a null deploy well. I think if I were more aggressive I was going to be in a lot of trouble. I also had a wicked strong T1 which I was then able to further capitalize on

1st Star: Erasmus - Killed the Kelermorph, 8 genestealers, sentinel and the patriarch. Quite a day!
2nd Star: Kroot - Lots of bodies to capture and their dakka was great since they were wounding on 2's at certain points!
3rd Star: Marker and attached drones - Deep strike denial of my right flank and consistent markerlights. The markerlights were super critical to overcome the -1 to hit.
Duce Cap - Sniper Drones - One mortal wound all game and just lacked punch all around

With this victory control of the shuttle port is ours! We now own 2/5 special locations and threaten 2/5 of the remaining.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:03 pm

Since my opponent cancelled last campaign round at the last minute my team was awarded the territory without needing to actually win a game. Since this week was a 2 week campaign session I got in this sessions game with red team for the 1st of the two weeks and tried to schedule another for last weekend. With no reply I played the campaign organizer and his custodes in the official battle for the territory. It is pretty important since holding it means we extend our first place lead and losing it means we begin to shrink.

Mission Setup:
My opponent is in an ITC league with his custodes so he really wanted to play an ITC mission. It seemed like a good time to try out ITC rules for the first time so I agreed so long as we did the cityfight and campaign rules. Since he had no special character Erasmus was going to have to return to being a quad fusion commander. So the first thing I had to do was analyze the ITC rules.

ITC Initial Assesment:
First I decided to keep my army the same I just made Erasmus a quad fusion commander for simplicity. I knew 1st story ruins block LOS so people can hide which is probably okay for me since I am mobile.

The missions in general terms want you to kill lots of units and capture objectives. In a competitive game by two decent armies both armies will probably kill one and hold one so those were basically gimme points. Killing more or holding more are where a lot of the competition lies however a mass MSU list like mine will probably be able to hold more but will almost certainly lose more. So against a fighty low unit count list I probably hold more but die more. Against another MSU or heavy obsec list we fight over hold more competitively and kill more is a coin flip. There are further bonus points if you can be super dominant in holding objectives. Like all or 5/6 and I mean you shouldn't really be able to get that unless your opponent is in a rut.

So of the primary points there are a total of 30 available, 12 should be a gimme, 12 should be up for grabs with a split and 6 are for the super dominant player. Meaning to me I am expecting to fight over 12 points and maybe get a couple extra in. A 6/6, 5/7 or 4/8 splits are likely so in a competitive game that goes my way I am likely only to go up by about 2-4 points. Since I have MSU with this list I probably am just breaking even on primaries unless I can be super dominant territorialy.

I get to choose 3 secondaries which generate me 4 points each max. Meaning I can get a total of 12. Since that is 3-6 times more then the expected advantage from outfoxing a challenging opponent secondaries are key to max out on. Therefore I looked for secondaries I could reliably do and ideally reliably do early. The 3 secondaries I thought were ideal for me were.

Gang Busters - 1 Point for every 6 wounds I deal to each unit since his guys will be beefy
Marked For Death - I have to kill his bikers anyway and should be able to target down a couple others
Recon - I am always all over the place and getting in his deployment zone if it is small would be too risky. So recon seemed best.

My Army:
As per my previous markerlight analysis I am continuing to add more marker drones until the lack of shield drones becomes an issue.

Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters, 1 Marker Drone
Cold Star Commander - 4 Fusion Blasters
2 Cadre Fireblades
3 Firesight Marksman
1 Riptide, Burst Cannon, SMS, ATS, Drone Controller
4 x 5 Fire Warriors MArkerlight (Two squads have a marker drone)
Devilfish Burst cannons, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
3 Piranhas Fusion Blaster, Gun Drones, 2 Seeker Missiles
2 x 2 Shield Drones, 2 Marker Drones
3 x 3 Sniper Drones

His List

Trajan
Shield Captain in Termy Armour
2 -1 to hit banner dudes
Bike Shield Captain - Marked for Death
4 x Wardens - Marked for Death
4 x bikes - Marked for Death
2 x 3 Custode Guard - Engineers
1 x 4 Custode Guard - Marked for Death
Sniper Assasin

He chose
Engineers
Kill 2+ a turn
Headhunter

Deployment
We got dawn of war deployment and I decided to play on my side since it had more line of sight blocking terrain. We alternated deployment and he hid his dudes very well behind LOS blocking terrain with a heavy emphasis on the left flank except for an engineer squad who hid in a magic box. His sniper also went high up the magic box on the right flank. His termy captain, 4 wardens and a banner dude decided to deep strike.

Outside my deployment zone I spread out deploying my stealth suits in a central crater outside of charge range, the ghostkeel and second stealth squad behind a large ruins for LOS blocking. I deployed Kroot, Firesight marksman and piranha on the extreme left. In the centre from left to right I deployed Firesight Marksman, Devilfish, Firesight Marksman, Commander, All the drone squads, Second Commander, Riptide and a Devilfish. On the extreme right flank I deployed the 2nd piranha and the last kroot squad.

Pregame stratagems I bought the 18" deep strike denial stratagem in the right flank central objective and I booby trapped the large left flank ruin which would do D3 mortal wounds or D6 if the unit advances to the first unit who walks in there. My opponent got the one which generates command points on a 5+ at the start of his turn.

He finished deploying first, won the roll off and I declined to seize. The kroot hid in buildings with their moves. Strategically he was so well hidden I could not line up any shots on him. Going second would also let me have a better chance to do hold more since all his dudes are obsec. Further he is really slow minus the bikes so I kind o f new he would either move his dudes out into the open or it would just be his bikes pressing forward and I could bop them down. Either way was good for me which is why I decided not to try and seize.

His First Turn
His left flank engineer squad advances into the booby trapped ruins and suffers 6 mortal wounds after I reroll the 1. His 4 man guard squad moves up in front of that ruin near the center. His bikes and bike captain fly up the extreme left flank His banner dude plants the banner increasing its range. Shooting sees my far left firesight marksman die from the sniper fire.

My Second Turn
Montka is declared. The mech ball moves up to the center. Right kroot mive up that flank. right stealth suits hop up in support on the extreme right. Right piranha hops up into the right ruins out of range of everything. Left kroot get to the second story to line up high shots on the bikers. A fire warrior squad and fireblade hop out on the left flank with a bead on the biker squad. Miscellaneous drones do deep strike denial and | hold the 18" deepstrike denial objective. Left flank piranha flies into the left central ruins that used to be booby trapped. Shooting sees, the wounded engineer squad die and the 4 man guard squad die. Of note my sniper drones really showed bang for buck they were the superior snipers and killed the assasin with only 9 shots and no markerlight support. I was lucky!

He then assaults my kroot who were spread out getting back all 3 of those CPs from Trajan and he kills the squad to the man opening up a deepstrike pocket on my left flank.

Score
Primaries: I got kill more and hold more. He got kill one and hold one
My Secondaries: I got 3 Gang Busters, 1 Recon and 1 Marked for deat
His Secondaries: 0 Engineer, 0 Kill 2+, He got a marksman for 1 headhunter.
My Score: 9
His Score: 3
Field Position: This game is quite manageable. Killing the sniper was a massive windfall and I sure got lucky. I was conservative with my cold stars turn 1. Even with him killing my kroot his deepstrike options all leave me in a good spot with a strong command of the middle. I can make a push to hold 5 in a couple turns. The bikes are still to be feared though!

His Second Turn
The deep strike comes in on the left flank. His bike squad moves in on the left flank and his bike captain lines up the piranha in the left ruin. Trajan and the first banner dude shuffle forward to better ensure line of sight blocking. He engineers the back right objective while in his magic box. Shooting sees 3 sniper drones across two squads die and 2 drones holding the left objective. Assaults see the shield captain assault the piranha and the bikers assault my firesight marksman and a drone squad. The piranha dies and comically the flashbang sees the drone squad live long enough to save the firesight marksman.

My Second Turn
Right Kroot and stealth suits move up towards the back right objective. Mechball mills about the center and lines up shots. against the bikes and the deep strikers. The devilfish with 5 fire warriors moves towards trajan in the back left flank. Shooting sees the bikes die, The 4 man warden squad die and the shield captain reduced to 5 wounds.

Score
Primaries: I got kill one and hold more. He got kill more and hold one
My Secondaries: I got my last Gang Busters, 1 Recon and 2 Marked for death
His Secondaries: 1 Engineer, 1 Kill 2+, 0 headhunter.
My Score: 16
His Score: 8
Field Position: He mostly has characters left so it becomes a matter of killing the warlord for the extra campaign glory. I also want to lure out those custodes in the back right corner.

His Third Turn
His left flank characters move up towards the firesight marksman and the fireblade. Trajan moves towards the tank. His right back dudes engineer again, Shooting sees the fire warriors die and a drone unit I think. The shield captain charges the firesight marksman and fireblade. Erasmus calmly leveled his fusion blaster and shot the poor guy right off his bike. That was a 6 damage fusion shot and 2 failed 3++ saves. Trajan assaults and does 5 damage to the devilfish.

My Third Turn
Tanglefoot grenade stops the kroot from getting by the back right objective so I advance two fire warrior squads onto it and my stealth suits into the magic box. Trajan and the shield captain get shots lined up on them. Firewarriors from the devilfish hop onto the back left objective giving me the needed 5/6 for the extra point. Shooting sees Trajan die and his shield captain reduced to 1 wound.

Primaries: I got kill one and hold more++. He got kill more and hold one
My Secondaries: 1 Recon and my last Marked for death
His Secondaries: 1 Engineer, 1 Kill 2+, 0 headhunter.
My Score: 22
His Score: 13
Field Position: At this point my rolling has been a bit obscene and his a bit poor so the tactics are less important and the banter moreso. I don't think it realistically could be going better for me at the moment.

His 4th Turn
Back flag dude moves out to assault my fire warriors. Engineer squad moves out to assault the 2 fire warrior squads on their objectives. His shield captain moves out to assault my characters with his flag dude. Captain kills the marksman and the fire blade. Custodes Guard kill a fire warrior squad and get a friendly trap on the second squad. Back right flag dude took a flashbang to the face and kills two fire warriors.

My 4th Turn
Minor shuffling. Shooting sees the captain die the back right flag dude die the other flag dude is reduced to 2 wounds. The custode guard lose two wounds after the kroot charge in and they do oodles of damage back.

Primaries: I got kill one and hold more++. He got kill more
My Secondaries: My last Recon
His Secondaries: 0 Engineer, 1 Kill 2+, 2 headhunter.
My Score: 27
His Score: 18
Field Position: At this point my rolling has been a bit obscene and his a bit poor so the tactics are less important and the banter more so. I don't think it realistically could be going better for me at the moment.

His 5th Turn
Flag dude kamikaze charges the riptide and dies. The engineer squad kills the remaining kroot and fire warriors.

My 5th Turn
Everything Jockeys for position to kill his 3 remaining dudes. A bunch of saves happen until Erasmus levels his trusty fusion blaster which don't care about invulnerable saves and he wipes the squad single handedly.

Primaries: I got kill one and hold more++. He got kill one
My Secondaries: All Maxed
His Secondaries: 0 Engineer, Last Kill 2+, 0 headhunter.
My Score: 31
His Score: 20
Field Position: Tabled and I hold all the objectives. I guess I get another turn

My 6th Turn
Praised the greater Good

Primaries: I got hold more++. He got nothing
My Secondaries: All Maxed
His Secondaries: Nothing
My Score: 35
His Score: 20

Breakdown
I think this game came down to 3 things, I had some exceptional key swings in luck go my way, my composition was a bit of a hard counter to his and the cities of death effects hurt him more then it hurt me. In general the game plan worked and the scheme worked and I was able to overpower my opponent.

ITC rules worked the way I assumed they would. Not sure how I feel about the scoring system as much as I have never been a fan of kill points especially for attached gun drones. That has been part of the game almost the whole time I've played it so I should probably stop whining and get used to it lol. I do plan when this campaign is done doing developing an ITC list and going to a couple tournaments and doing more write ups. I feel I could do well given enough experience with the format. If I struggle it will be a good check on my self assessments.

Sniper drones continue to impress. They did a little after the assasin kill but the assasin kill was enough for me. Really liked having a 2/2 split for the marker/shield drones. I never got the holy grail of 2 units with 5 markerlights but it was tougher with him being able to hide so easily. Erasmus was a monster. I gave him the -2" assault distance relic and with him lining up the custodes at 18" they were not even able to assault him if they survived. It was really slick.

3 Stars
1st Star: Erasmus - I guess he wanted to show he was still special even without the rules cause he killed anything he looked at and anything that looked at him wrong.
2nd Star: Sniper Drones - Killed the Assassin
3rd Star: Piranhas - Great positioning and their seekers killed a lot of bikes
Dunce: None I can't realistically expect lose less then this
Game Preferences:
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Draaen

Postby Draaen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Sadly it appears the campaign has petered out. The attempts to get people to do the campaign online and meet up afterwards has failed to generate pairings and enough people have shown up expecting games to have none to kill the enthusiasm required to continue the campaign. Therefore I will do a campaign and cities of death final thoughts.

Cities of Death Rules

In general I really enjoyed the cities of death rules. They made positioning more important and added some good strategies for both sides. The warzones were surprisingly balanced especially the pollution which I thought would be an auto lose for a shooting army. I really liked playing around obscured. It just makes sense.

The biggest downside to cities of death was it felt that there was definitely a larger burden of knowledge. A list optimized for cities of death with a player that knows advantageous stratagems will really have a significant advantage.

The Tau fared significantly better then my initial thoughts going in. I actually felt they were too good with the additional cities of death stratagems and being able to ignore cover. Sniper drones were silly good.

For anyone going to play cities of death here are a few stratagems I used frequently. A lot of them were not called out every time as I wanted to keep my turn summaries briefer and they were already long enough IMO!

Good Stratagems:

Master Snipers - Ignores cover and to hit penalties.
This was amazing with my sniper drones. It affected my whole sniper drone squad. Get those drones higher then their target for the extra AP ignore the obscured penalty or cover bonus and even space marine characters in cover are scared!

Blood in the Streets - Re-roll wounds for 1 unit vs targets not in cover/obscured on street level
People are willing to sacrifice a commanders shooting for that affect! You could do it twice on two riptides if the targets are right. This really makes your opponent think twice about moving his big guys into the open.

Breaching Gear - Change an assault distance die into a 6 vs one target in cover
Great to guarantee charges. Which is useful to get units onto contested objectives or tie up a hiding unit. Definitely be aware it could happen to you though!

Plunging Fire - Additional AP if higher then target
AP-4 heavy burst cannon re-rolling wounds against a target in the street. Enough said.

Also of note is the warlord trait which lets you ignore cover. It was quite useful.

Campaign Overview

Technically I think we call this a win since we had more campaign points then anyone. Not a particularly satisfying win however. If asked to do the campaign again I would be in and overall I enjoyed the campaign and the setting. I would not have played with special characters or cities of death rules without the campaign so this was a fun experience.

From a a strategic standpoint we were lucky green struggled early since they had a dominant lead in campaign points to us. By taking the center in the first campaign phase it helped put us and keep us on top. I think we had a good team balance for games to capture territory played with a 2/2/1 split among our team. I just wish we had another week so I could bring up that 1 to a 2.

Sadly my initial strategy of just get the most campaign points early in case the campaign went under worked. Otherwise I think grabbing extra territory and buying the command point bonus cards really paid off.
Game Preferences:
The Titanz0r
Name: Swerd
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard, Black Templars

Postby The Titanz0r » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:21 am

Swerd likes this post.