*** 8th Edition 40k Transition Thread ***

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Re: *** 8th Edition 40k Transition Thread ***

Postby spruter » Tue May 30, 2017 5:44 am

Actual Sister's Leaks:

http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2017/05/siste ... leaks.html

Saint Celestine gives a 6+ invuln to all Imperial Guard within 6" or a 5+ with sisters. Also immolators have a 12" TL heavy flamer now!!
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Postby Kman2190 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 am

So I don't know how to feel about these leaks, the noise weaponry have a neglible AP, they can't insta-kill anything anymore and the base points for a noise marine is 16 pts. At least the sonic blaster is assault 3 now? I don't know, they look to be more assault orientated this edition so that would explain their new rule but I haven't seen their movement value so that rule is not useful if they have don't move quickly. These are just pieces to the whole picture but it's not panning out to be very good for the EC as of now...
FOR THE EMPEROR
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 am

Necron full rules are leaked....if you speak Italian. From what's been translated so far though they've become enormously interesting.

Quantum Shielding no longer increases base armor - necron tanks are all comparatively quite light - but now any time you're damaged you roll a D6 and if you roll lower than the damage caused you take no damage. This ancient dynastic ruler learned ONE WEIRD TRICK to be nearly immune to reaper chainswords! Imperial Knights hate him!

And we'll be back is confirmed back. At the start of the turn any dead necron whose unit is still alive gets back up on a 5+. Slight nerf to res protocols? Yes. 1000% more awesome? Gotta say yes.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Armies: All of Them

Postby MrScotty » Tue May 30, 2017 8:17 am

Another interesting thing I'm seeing from the leaks: the player who finishes deploying first now goes first. That makes things pretty interesting from a tactical standpoint as characters now project their auras to all units around them you could see tons of MSU but the almost guaranteed disadvantage of going second might dissuade some of that. It's also a boost to deep strike alpha armies and transports which will be able to hide multiple units out of deployment.

This I what I'm talking about: http://m.imgur.com/a/gu4pw

Missions+some advanced rules.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Tue May 30, 2017 8:30 am

MrScotty wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 8:17 am
Another interesting thing I'm seeing from the leaks: the player who finishes deploying first now goes first. That makes things pretty interesting from a tactical standpoint as characters now project their auras to all units around them you could see tons of MSU but the almost guaranteed disadvantage of going second might dissuade some of that. It's also a boost to deep strike alpha armies and transports which will be able to hide multiple units out of deployment.
With the new reserve rules, it would be pretty easy for certain armies to leave half their stuff off the table, and just walk on turn 1. This could help minimize an opponents alpha strike.
wnbrice
Name: William Brice
Armies: Imperium/Blackshields

Postby wnbrice » Tue May 30, 2017 9:15 am

FINALLY. I do like how much of a disparity there is between what are more common items and what are relic level. Power weapon 4 pts master crafted? 17, but damn if it isnt worth it.

Also like how things on characters and regular guys is different for thunderhammers and stormshields.

So I just did the points for centurions and damn if it isnt interesting

So Cent with hurricane bolter and heavy bolters is 86

Meanwhile a cent with twin lascannons and cent missiles is 140 each!!

Dont get me wrong that is two lascannon and d3 missile shots each but wow are points different haha Feel like Hybrid unit builds are going to be necessary. Otherwise you are losing a lot more points per death. Like 1-2 Lascannon ones with 3-4 heavy bolter ones. Something like that to help mitigate the prices.
Last edited by wnbrice on Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 am

Notably, if you read the rules for units with native "Deep Strike" carefully, having them deploy off the board still counts as your deployment drop. So you cant really fake your way into dripping fewer models.

Also unlike 7th edition not every unit has the option to deploy off the table so you can't elect to reserve every unit in your army in an attempt to avoid alphas.
goblin
Name: anthony lawrence
Armies: tyranids, pantsthieves, sisters+friends

Postby goblin » Tue May 30, 2017 10:55 am

Just read through the sisters rules and I gotta say: I like them. There's nothing crazy over the top, but there's some solid synergy, Celestine is ridiculous, and most importantly they got CHEAP. 9pt for bs3+ and a 3+ save with options to bring a lot of heavy/special weaponry is solid, then add in the occasional opportunity to shoot twice and you have, at the very least, a solid ally force.
Fenris Frost
Name: Rob W.
Armies: Space Wolves, Word Bearers (WIP)

Postby Fenris Frost » Tue May 30, 2017 11:07 am

I really don't like the massive points increase on the weapons. I suspect the minimum points per game is going to go up from the 1850-2000 range up to 2500ish.

I also don't dig that their primary method of speeding up the game seems to have been "make everything die super fast" I am hoping the game plays a bit more stringently then just trading off putting swaths of models back in our cases.
wnbrice
Name: William Brice
Armies: Imperium/Blackshields

Postby wnbrice » Tue May 30, 2017 11:28 am

Infantry is cheaper, weapons of doom and vehicles are more expensive. So there will be a lot more infantry on the table if you go that route, or a very small army if you go massive amounts of upgrades. No reason to upsize the game unless you want to.

Also clearly superior options are actually pointed differently now. Why would you ever take twin lightning claws when the thunder storm was that much better for like 5 points difference. Now it is 44 versus 56 while power fist storm bolter is 48. So we are seeing some granularity in prices and roles. There is no automatic "Vastly superior" option.

Regular marines get their storm and combat shields pretty cheaply, same with other melee upgrades. It feels like now you can actually run them how I imagine in the fluff or when I am building a unit of them.