making models out of bits...

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
User avatar
waddledom
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

making models out of bits...

Postby waddledom » Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm

is it a good idea? because i just hopped on ebay and bought so i can scratch build some space marines using only bits, and am second guessing my idea
User avatar
MrScotty
Officer
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm

waddledom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm
is it a good idea? because i just hopped on ebay and bought so i can scratch build some space marines using only bits, and am second guessing my idea
Short answer: probably not, because the extra time and effort you spend on greenstuff and other sculpting necessities to get the parts like legs torsos etc that you won't get out of bits is going to cost you the same or more in the long run.

Long answer: Ebay is probably the single greatest trap in the hobby. It is, as a platform, essentially designed to get you to pay just a little bit more than you ordinarily would, and generally speaking for myself I have learned over the years that a zero tolerance policy is the only way I can keep myself from overspending, because it happens inevitably whenever I use that site.

You can pretty much always get stuff for 20% off retail at the hobby bunker with the club discount and their frequent sales. And the value differential between a miniature that is not already assembled, and a miniature that you

-have to spend money on supplies to strip (un-paint)

-have to spend money on shipping to you

and

-is usually worse at the game because you basically left all the decisions in its weapon loadout up to somebody else besides yourself

will usually be a lower value overall.

Now, obviously not always, and there are instances where you can get secondhand stuff that's both unbuilt and cheap on ebay (usually from people who buy the discounted starter kits, and split up the individual components). But in general, when I compare the total price with shipping to the total price with 20% discount I'd pay getting it new from the store...I'm usually not impressed.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
User avatar
waddledom
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby waddledom » Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm
waddledom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm
is it a good idea? because i just hopped on ebay and bought so i can scratch build some space marines using only bits, and am second guessing my idea
Short answer: probably not, because the extra time and effort you spend on greenstuff and other sculpting necessities to get the parts like legs torsos etc that you won't get out of bits is going to cost you the same or more in the long run.

Long answer: Ebay is probably the single greatest trap in the hobby. It is, as a platform, essentially designed to get you to pay just a little bit more than you ordinarily would, and generally speaking for myself I have learned over the years that a zero tolerance policy is the only way I can keep myself from overspending, because it happens inevitably whenever I use that site.

You can pretty much always get stuff for 20% off retail at the hobby bunker with the club discount and their frequent sales. And the value differential between a miniature that is not already assembled, and a miniature that you

-have to spend money on supplies to strip (un-paint)

-have to spend money on shipping to you

and

-is usually worse at the game because you basically left all the decisions in its weapon loadout up to somebody else besides yourself

will usually be a lower value overall.

Now, obviously not always, and there are instances where you can get secondhand stuff that's both unbuilt and cheap on ebay (usually from people who buy the discounted starter kits, and split up the individual components). But in general, when I compare the total price with shipping to the total price with 20% discount I'd pay getting it new from the store...I'm usually not impressed.
alrighty then! for me i think the only outrageously priced thing was the legs, i bought a set of ten of everything i would need, and the legs were literally $10 for 10 (everything else was under $4) but i just thought it would be fun to bolster my army too!
User avatar
MrScotty
Officer
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 08, 2019 1:15 pm

waddledom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm
MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm
waddledom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm
is it a good idea? because i just hopped on ebay and bought so i can scratch build some space marines using only bits, and am second guessing my idea
Short answer: probably not, because the extra time and effort you spend on greenstuff and other sculpting necessities to get the parts like legs torsos etc that you won't get out of bits is going to cost you the same or more in the long run.

Long answer: Ebay is probably the single greatest trap in the hobby. It is, as a platform, essentially designed to get you to pay just a little bit more than you ordinarily would, and generally speaking for myself I have learned over the years that a zero tolerance policy is the only way I can keep myself from overspending, because it happens inevitably whenever I use that site.

You can pretty much always get stuff for 20% off retail at the hobby bunker with the club discount and their frequent sales. And the value differential between a miniature that is not already assembled, and a miniature that you

-have to spend money on supplies to strip (un-paint)

-have to spend money on shipping to you

and

-is usually worse at the game because you basically left all the decisions in its weapon loadout up to somebody else besides yourself

will usually be a lower value overall.

Now, obviously not always, and there are instances where you can get secondhand stuff that's both unbuilt and cheap on ebay (usually from people who buy the discounted starter kits, and split up the individual components). But in general, when I compare the total price with shipping to the total price with 20% discount I'd pay getting it new from the store...I'm usually not impressed.
alrighty then! for me i think the only outrageously priced thing was the legs, i bought a set of ten of everything i would need, and the legs were literally $10 for 10 (everything else was under $4) but i just thought it would be fun to bolster my army too!
Sure! And that is fun. But how much did you end up paying in total, including shipping, and how many miniatures did you get?
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
User avatar
waddledom
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby waddledom » Wed May 08, 2019 1:22 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:15 pm
waddledom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:57 pm
MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 pm


Short answer: probably not, because the extra time and effort you spend on greenstuff and other sculpting necessities to get the parts like legs torsos etc that you won't get out of bits is going to cost you the same or more in the long run.

Long answer: Ebay is probably the single greatest trap in the hobby. It is, as a platform, essentially designed to get you to pay just a little bit more than you ordinarily would, and generally speaking for myself I have learned over the years that a zero tolerance policy is the only way I can keep myself from overspending, because it happens inevitably whenever I use that site.

You can pretty much always get stuff for 20% off retail at the hobby bunker with the club discount and their frequent sales. And the value differential between a miniature that is not already assembled, and a miniature that you

-have to spend money on supplies to strip (un-paint)

-have to spend money on shipping to you

and

-is usually worse at the game because you basically left all the decisions in its weapon loadout up to somebody else besides yourself

will usually be a lower value overall.

Now, obviously not always, and there are instances where you can get secondhand stuff that's both unbuilt and cheap on ebay (usually from people who buy the discounted starter kits, and split up the individual components). But in general, when I compare the total price with shipping to the total price with 20% discount I'd pay getting it new from the store...I'm usually not impressed.
alrighty then! for me i think the only outrageously priced thing was the legs, i bought a set of ten of everything i would need, and the legs were literally $10 for 10 (everything else was under $4) but i just thought it would be fun to bolster my army too!
Sure! And that is fun. But how much did you end up paying in total, including shipping, and how many miniatures did you get?
About 30, but got 10 miniatures, couldn't get bases tho, they sold out of them right as I went to pay
User avatar
MrScotty
Officer
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Sure. And minus Mass state tax, our 20% discount is effectively a 14% discount off full retail price, which for a 36$ space marine tactical squad would be 31$.

So assuming 10 bases cost you more than 1$, a 10-man tactical squad would be cheaper from the hobby bunker.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
User avatar
waddledom
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby waddledom » Wed May 08, 2019 1:53 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm
Sure. And minus Mass state tax, our 20% discount is effectively a 14% discount off full retail price, which for a 36$ space marine tactical squad would be 31$.

So assuming 10 bases cost you more than 1$, a 10-man tactical squad would be cheaper from the hobby bunker.
i see, well now i know for next time!
User avatar
Memento
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:42 pm
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby Memento » Wed May 08, 2019 2:04 pm

I'd also point out that you typically get many more bits from a NOS (new-on-sprue) kit that you can save and utilize for other builds should you so desire. So getting stuff via club discount from the Bunker is typically preferable in most situations!

It also helps us to support the place that we play. So that's always good. Can't roll dice and play with toy soldiers on eBay!
User avatar
MrScotty
Officer
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 am
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby MrScotty » Wed May 08, 2019 6:33 pm

waddledom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:53 pm
MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm
Sure. And minus Mass state tax, our 20% discount is effectively a 14% discount off full retail price, which for a 36$ space marine tactical squad would be 31$.

So assuming 10 bases cost you more than 1$, a 10-man tactical squad would be cheaper from the hobby bunker.
i see, well now i know for next time!
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are willing to drop a little bit more at once, space marines in particular have some veeery good combo-pack dealies in the form of "start collecting" boxes and starter kits.

Know no Fear, Start Collecting: Space Marines, and the new Shadowspear box all have a bundled bunch of marine kits you can get for a combined discount on top of the bunker's discount if you have them order it in for you. you get I think like 15$ off the contents of Start Collecting Space Marines plus the club discount shaves off another 13$. While you can score some really great secondhand deals on ebay, you generally want to shoot for the absolute crappiest looking fully assembled and fully painted stuff to get more than 50% off. To me, the extra effort required to get an extra 10-15$ of value, considering bare minimum to strip the minis requires at least 6 or 7$ of supplies to do...not usually worth it in my book. I've done it before. I have a 10$ ebay leman russ tank who earned the name "Matroshka" after she turned out to have not one, not two, but five different color schemes applied to her successively!
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
User avatar
waddledom
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Name: Dominic H
Experience Level: Novice
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Space-marines

Re: making models out of bits...

Postby waddledom » Wed May 08, 2019 7:02 pm

MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:33 pm
waddledom wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:53 pm
MrScotty wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm
Sure. And minus Mass state tax, our 20% discount is effectively a 14% discount off full retail price, which for a 36$ space marine tactical squad would be 31$.

So assuming 10 bases cost you more than 1$, a 10-man tactical squad would be cheaper from the hobby bunker.
i see, well now i know for next time!
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are willing to drop a little bit more at once, space marines in particular have some veeery good combo-pack dealies in the form of "start collecting" boxes and starter kits.

Know no Fear, Start Collecting: Space Marines, and the new Shadowspear box all have a bundled bunch of marine kits you can get for a combined discount on top of the bunker's discount if you have them order it in for you. you get I think like 15$ off the contents of Start Collecting Space Marines plus the club discount shaves off another 13$. While you can score some really great secondhand deals on ebay, you generally want to shoot for the absolute crappiest looking fully assembled and fully painted stuff to get more than 50% off. To me, the extra effort required to get an extra 10-15$ of value, considering bare minimum to strip the minis requires at least 6 or 7$ of supplies to do...not usually worth it in my book. I've done it before. I have a 10$ ebay leman russ tank who earned the name "Matroshka" after she turned out to have not one, not two, but five different color schemes applied to her successively!
thanks, i will definitely consider for next time! did you say FIVE paint schemes??? what were they?