Bolter Weapons get a beta rule buff

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Bolter Weapons get a beta rule buff

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 am

https://imgur.com/a/3YEDg58

Right at the bottom. Blurred out word is "Biker"

So, Astartes and Heretic Astartes get some additional ways to get the Rapid Fire double shots from boltguns:

-By standing still in the movement phase
-By being within half range (so, as normal)
-By being a Terminator, Centurion, Biker, or Vehicle

I don't know how much this really changes the ball game for normal models. For example, looking at terminators, sure, from 12-24" I have my storm bolters rapid firing now. but why would I want my Terminators being that far away from the action? I suppose it increases their flexibility, so they could theoretically land 9" away from a tank or something and empty their storm bolters into I dunno, some guardsmen 24" away.

The biggest winners here appear to be stuff like Scout Bikes (who now put out just an absolutely bonkers number of shots incredibly safely), Intercessors who are now just pumping people full of lead at 30" range, and probably a couple of other oddballs like...what do you put hurricane bolters on? Land raider crusaders?

Just makes you pine for the olden days when you could put as many storm bolters on a rhino as you wanted to, doesn't it boys.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Re: Bolter Weapons get a beta rule buff

Postby Draaen » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Here is the warhammer community link.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/

I like the change it's nice and gives help to the power armoured guys who need it. Certainly will be nice on my bikes and intercessors. Deathwatch just got scarier in my mind and I already thought they were pretty good with the points drops!
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Sandtiger
Name: Tomas Q.
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space Wolves, Salamanders

Postby Sandtiger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:22 pm

I am a fan. Incredibly useful for anything with a Storm Bolter in particular. Also yes Land Raider Crusaders get hurricane bolters.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Yeah, a couple amusing units with this change:

Land Raider Crusader: at 24" range, with a storm bolter, this puts out 28 bolter shots and 12 assault cannon shots. Wonderful. Also, if you're feeling oldschool you can stuff it with terminators who can pop out and storm bolter things at 24" as well.

Company Veterans on Bikes: 40 points for a Storm Shield and a Storm Bolter on a bike. Costs less than the same number of bolter shots in tactical marines, also has a 3++, moves and shoots full at 24", and moves 14". Yikes. You can also mix some thunder hammers into the squad (at least one on the sergeant should be taken, since he can't have a SS) and these guys just get nuts. Works with the Sword Brothers detachment too. Pair with a ton of jump pack/biker characters, especially an apothecary on bike for maximum deathstar.

Dark Angels Plane: Double hurricane bolter on a fighter jet, baby. Gets something like 27 shots at 24" now.

Thousand Sons Scarab Terminators: Every one of their weapons now lands perfectly at 24", and they aren't paying for any expensive melee weapons.

Space Marine Sternguard: Wow, you actually get to use the 30" range on those stern boltguns now! Give these guys a couple heavy weapons, park them in a ruin and go to town on some nerds.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
Sandtiger

Postby Sandtiger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Dark Angels plane only does that if it remained stationary which it really shouldn't lol. The rest of it is accurate.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Sandtiger wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:05 pm
Dark Angels plane only does that if it remained stationary which it really shouldn't lol. The rest of it is accurate.
Nope, you now get the rapid fire double tap if you are Stationary OR if you are a Terminator/Biker/Centurion/Vehicle.

The flyer is a Vehicle.
Game Preferences:
Sandtiger

Postby Sandtiger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Oh hey I missed the vehicle part. Whoops. That's nifty!